Undecided

chuck

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and I must say it has been quite informative. I decided to register because I have been wrestling in my mind as to whether or not accept the Bus Operator postion with NYC MTA. You see I took the 5025 exam nearly three years ago and come this friday I am scheduled for the pre-interview.

My dilemma: I am a career city letter carrier for the U.S. Postal Service with 23 years of service (18 as a carrier). I have 7 more to go and I will be elligible for a pension.

There was a time when I can honestly say that I "enjoyed" my job as a postal worker especially as a carrier. I enjoyed being outdoors and talking and interacting with people. But the past three years the job has changed so much that hatred has filled my body and mind towards postal management for the inhumane treatment of it's employees. And it will only get worse. I struggle to get up every day because of the thought of going to work and dealing with these imbeciles. The job too has changed. The days when your mail carrier actually took the time to talk or exchange pleasantries are long gone. I know I only have 7 more to go, but I tell you that seven is a lifetime for me now. I've tried transfering to MVO (I have a CDL) but it's all locked up. The Postal Service is downsizing through attrition and contracting work out especially in the motor vehicle operator craft.

I am seriously considering taking this job but on the other hand if I did I would have to work untill I am 62 years old in order to receive healthbenefits(my spouse has no coverage). If I stay with the service and try not to lose my sanity and my health:confused: in the process then I can retire at 56 with lifetime healthbenefits.

I don't want to make a rash decision that I will regret. But I am tormented with this indecisiveness. I realize that the MTA DOB is militant, but is it really as bad? I am asking if there are veterans within the DOB on this site that can enlighten me.

P.S. Please pardon me with venting here on this forum. But sometimes discussing and seeking advice from a loved one just does'nt help. Although they mean well, they just don't understand the work place environment.

Thank you kindley,

Chuck

Wow!!! Well first of all, welcome to the forums! I will refer a couple of members to you who are B/O's. I know for a fact that they can help you. Look out for them. Their names are Chris Frusci and DOB2RTO. Good luck Chuck! You don't want to hear my opinion. I am slightly biased, so I will direct you straight to the MTA. East New York Depot to be specific! :P

Hi Chuck. Welcome to the forums.

So basically, from what you saying, you have 7 years left of hell, and your not sure whether or not you want to leave it and have to put in another 13 years?

Well, this is definatly a unique situation. The good news is that we can help you, even though we are not veterans, and have never been in a situation like that.

First I want to say that I know NOTHING about being a letter carrier, or working for the usps for that matter. What I can tell you is that you only have to work for the MTA for Ten(10) years to collect lifetime benefits. So in that case, you would be 59 years old. The starting pay is $18.84. You will get your first increase this coming January. It will probably go up to just above $20.00 per hour.

If it is just for the benefits, and my kids were all grown and on their own, then I would just work the extra three years and switch over to the MTA. Again, this is only if I could not take anymore of my regular job. What is happening to you, happens to alot of other people. I have heard this before. Overall, it sounds like the job has done you well up until a few years ago. If it starts affecting your personal life and happiness, then for me, it would not be worth it.

To answer the question "I know the mta is militant, but is it really that bad?", I would say no. If you do your job and go home, nobody bothers you. What WILL bother you is the people getting on the bus. You though, have been dealing with people for a long time. Depending on what depot you would end up in, will determine the clientel that ends up on your bus. If you were a carrier in a nice, middle class suburban neighborhood, then you would maybe want to choose a depot in westchester, staten island or queens.

I say this quote on this forum all of the time, but it goes like this- "Never give advice. Wise men don't need it and fools won't heed it". That means if your smart you don't need my advice and if your a fool, you won't use it anyway! LOL So basically this is a decision you must make yourself. Your certainly not stupid. Anything you need about the MTA, or being a bus operator, just ask. Soemone will respond. I will be keeping a close eye on you and I will be following your posts incase you need anything. Good luck.

Chris, thank you for the reply.

Please clear up one important issue for me. You stated that I would have to work for NYC Transit MTA for ten years in order to collect lifetime benefits. Are you certain that includes healthcare coverage?

This is not what I was told by NYCERS. From what I've been told and read transit workers fall under the 25/55 retirement system. But being that I will be 49 in June, I would then fall under the 5/62 retirement system. In other words I will have to retire at age 62 in order to have healthcare coverage for myself and family.

Please clarify , thank you,

chuck

Chris, thank you for the reply.

Please clear up one important issue for me. You stated that I would have to work for NYC Transit MTA for ten years in order to collect lifetime benefits. Are you certain that includes healthcare coverage?

This is not what I was told by NYCERS. From what I've been told and read transit workers fall under the 25/55 retirement system. But being that I will be 49 in June, I would then fall under the 5/62 retirement system. In other words I will have to retire at age 62 in order to have healthcare coverage for myself and family.

Please clarify , thank you,

chuck

Yes, NYCERS told you correctly. If you do 10 years, you will collect a partial pension from MTA. Only those who do 25/55, will get full benefits when retired.

As for your dilemma, we don't want you going "postal". Yes, the MTA is military style. Things here are getting worse, even though they were suppose to get better with the new heads. People are being written up, for monotonous things. These are things people were not written up for before, under Turkeys administration. But like I tell everyone, everyone feels differently towards the job. At the beginning everyone is happy, and excited. Then reality sets in, in what you are dealing with. Some hate it and quit, some love it and say this is an easy job, most just tolerate hating it, and just do the job. If you could get the truck job with USPS, that would've be sweet. Seven years isn't that long to go, but when you don't like the job anymore, seven years can seem like forever. These 3-4 months extra that I have to stay in the DOB, instead of being in RTO now, sucks. But time has and is still flying. At least here you and your spouse are covered for health benefits. Thing I could tell you is if you take the job here, after 3 years if a dispatcher exam comes up, take it. You will get a better pension than an operator gets. Also the benefits are better, than for operators.

You are the only one who knows how you feel, and what you want to do. No matter the decision you make, you will always have doubts about it. No matter who you ask for an opinion it will just be their opinion. The fact is you have to make this call.

DOB2RTO thank you for the reply and your candor.

I sense that you as I are on the same page regarding our dislike for our respective management. I am cognizant of the fact that the decision is only mine to make. I wanted to make an educated one as best I could, therefore I needed more insight on the DOB from the perspective of one such as yourself and Chris. I sincerely want to thank you both for your input. Also, please rest assured that I have also spoken with some bus operators working the lines within my home area and I can tell you that their opinions regarding the atmosphere at the work place are similar if not exactly as you described.

I have reached a point in my life where I know in my heart and mind that I no longer posses the tolerance or the patience to be a newbie. This I can say for sure I have decided definitively. What that said, the decision is obvious.

I have recently been informed by Human Resources that USPS is looking to hire TTOs (tractor trailor operators) within it's ranks. I don't know exactly when that will be. They said "soon". Although I possess a CDL B, I intend on obtaining my "A" and applying. "7" more years. I've decided to finish what I started.

In the meantime I will inform 180 Livingston Street that I decline at this time for personal reasons and will write to the Certification Bureau to have my name put back on the list. Just in case I get the urge to go "postal" LOL.

All the best to you. I wish you well and much happiness.

Chuck.

Archived