New edition of ‘Huckleberry Finn’ to lose the ‘n’*word

East New York

Nice.. Censor and old book. Why not just re-write the whole story...

In a letter to John Lennon after he produced a song "women are the n1ggers of the world"

"If you define 'n1ggers' as someone whose lifestyle is defined by others, whose opportunities are defined by others, whose role in society are defined by others, then Good News! You don't have to be black to be a 'n1gger' in this society. Most of the people in America are 'n1ggers'.

- Ron Dellums - Co-Founder and Chairman of The Congressional Black Caucus. US Congressman 1971-1998. Ex Mayor of Oakland, CA

More bullshit.

Clearly!

Nice.. Censor and old book. Why not just re-write the whole story...

In a letter to John Lennon after he produced a song "women are the n1ggers of the world"

"If you define 'n1ggers' as someone whose lifestyle is defined by others, whose opportunities are defined by others, whose role in society are defined by others, then Good News! You don't have to be black to be a 'n1gger' in this society. Most of the people in America are 'n1ggers'.

- Ron Dellums - Co-Founder and Chairman of The Congressional Black Caucus. US Congressman 1971-1998. Ex Mayor of Oakland, CA

One of my favorite quotes!

I think this is a bad move. The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn is an American classic novel copyright 1884 (set in an earlier time), just like its' companion novel The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer, copyright 1876 (set in an earlier time). I feel the book will lose its' context with the word removed.

This was done with The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. There is a hardcover updated edition with the dust jacket showing the original cover artwork.

The story The Fire Balloons, which originally appeared in The Illustrated Man is added and a new story The Wilderness replaces the original story Way Up In The Air. The time line also was reset to run 2030 to 2057.

I'm surprised that when The Illustrated Man was updated to include the new story The Illustrated Man to replace The Fire Balloons, they left the story On The Other Foot in.

Credit to Bantam for keeping the original The Martian Chronicles and The Illustrated Man in print as softcover editions as part of their Bantam Spectre line.

Next up Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe or The Man In The High Castle by Philip K. D1ck, maybe?

The ever dreaded "n" word! Here we go again!

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/01/03/huckleberry-finn-n-word-censor-edit/

While I don't like the "N" word being used, this is another example of politically correctness going wild IMO. Back in the era when this controversial classic the "N" word was as accepted saying you a 'cool' person in today's society when talking about someone you like.:tdown:

I am sure the 'pc' will soon frown on the 'cool' if these winters continue to get too cold. (frown)

Again if you teach those reviewing and analyzing this work in stating this racial slang is not socially accepteable in today's American society IMO at least 90% will understand clearly. Just like you stress you don't use racial slangs in the world of 2011 for other ethnic groups as well.

And this is coming from a Black Man from an Interacial marriage that been working as a Teaching Asst. for 4 years now.:eek:

I guess this person's next task is to put pants on Michelangelo's David? Twain wrote the book over 125 years ago. It's a literary masterpiece, it should not be touched.

Forest Glen I am sure will disagree with you on the "N" word on any circumstance. I am not condoning using it in 2011 but if you teach the kids/students how it's not unacceptable to say it, most people will comply IMO and was acceptable in American Society at that time.:eek:

Why edit something out of a film that's clearly said on the street every single day (in its more colloquial form)? Maybe bringing the historical meaning out into the public will help people see where the term came from and how negative its origins are.

I guess this person's next task is to put pants on Michelangelo's David? Twain wrote the book over 125 years ago. It's a literary masterpiece, it should not be touched.

Exactly, and not only that it provides an opportunity for students and teachers to discuss the racism in its context as a "thing of the past" that society has moved beyond.

By sweeping it under the rug, it proves that society has NOT moved on. And rather than understand it, and why racist attitudes are so bad, kids won't understand it. Ignorance breeds racism. Hell look at all the sh*t going on in this country today, seems the last few years we've taken a step back in this country on race.

Hell in the book, Jim "the n****r" is the best character throughout and Huck's friend. That alone illustrates that the racism is stupid. Burying the references to it serves to educate no one except to pander to the mommy mafia nanny state idiots that are ruining this once great nation. It's part of the book's message that Jim endures all the sh*t he does for being black throughout (including Huck's dirty trick which Huck later regrets), but at the end gets to be freed.

What do you think the updated version of this might read like:

"Oh, yes, this is a wonderful govment, wonderful. Why, looky here. There was a free nig*** there from Ohio--a mulatter, most white as a white man. He had the whitest shirt on you ever see, too, and the shiniest hat; and there ain't a man in that town that's got as fine clothes as what he had; and he had a gold watch and chain, and a silver-headed cane--the awfulest old gray-headed nabob in the state. And what do you think? They said he was a p'fessor in a college. and could talk all kinds of languages, and knowed everything. And that ain't the wust. They said he could vote when he was home. Well, that let me out. Thinks I, what is the country a-comin to? It was 'lection day, and I was just about to go and vote myself if I warn't too drunk to get there; but when they told me there was a state in this country where they'd let that nig*** vote, I drawed out. I says I'll never vote ag'in. Them's the very words I said; they all heard me; and the country may rot for all me--I'll never vote ag'in as long as I live. And to see the cool way of that nig***--why he wouldn't 'a' give me the road if I hadn't shoved him out 'o' the way. I says to the people, why ain"t this nig*** put up at auction and sold?--that's what I want to know. And, what do you reckon they said? Why they said he couldn't be sold till he had been in the state six months, and he hadn't been there that long. There, now--that's a specimen. They call that a govment that can't sell a free nig*** till he's been in the state six months. Her's a govment that calls itself a govement, and lets on to be a govment, and thinks it is a govment, and yet's got to set stock-still for six whole months before it can take a-hold of a prowling, thieving, infernal white-shirted free nig***, and--"

Pap Finn Pages 37-38

What do you think the updated version of this might read like:

"Oh, yes, this is a wonderful govment, wonderful. Why, looky here. There was a free nig*** there from Ohio--a mulatter, most white as a white man. He had the whitest shirt on you ever see, too, and the shiniest hat; and there ain't a man in that town that's got as fine clothes as what he had; and he had a gold watch and chain, and a silver-headed cane--the awfulest old gray-headed nabob in the state. And what do you think? They said he was a p'fessor in a college. and could talk all kinds of languages, and knowed everything. And that ain't the wust. They said he could vote when he was home. Well, that let me out. Thinks I, what is the country a-comin to? It was 'lection day, and I was just about to go and vote myself if I warn't too drunk to get there; but when they told me there was a state in this country where they'd let that nig*** vote, I drawed out. I says I'll never vote ag'in. Them's the very words I said; they all heard me; and the country may rot for all me--I'll never vote ag'in as long as I live. And to see the cool way of that nig***--why he wouldn't 'a' give me the road if I hadn't shoved him out 'o' the way. I says to the people, why ain"t this nig*** put up at auction and sold?--that's what I want to know. And, what do you reckon they said? Why they said he couldn't be sold till he had been in the state six months, and he hadn't been there that long. There, now--that's a specimen. They call that a govment that can't sell a free nig*** till he's been in the state six months. Her's a govment that calls itself a govement, and lets on to be a govment, and thinks it is a govment, and yet's got to set stock-still for six whole months before it can take a-hold of a prowling, thieving, infernal white-shirted free nig***, and--"

Pap Finn Pages 37-38

They replaced the word with "slave" which I think is very stupid.

Archived