Newly hired bus operator

lawbattle4

I just got hired :) for MTA bus operator and i start my training in the Bronx on Jan 17, the lady downtown make it a point to let my no that I'm mta bus and not transit,

what the big deal, is it the pay or what? i really dont care i'm just happy to be working at mta, its been 4 year since i took the test.

I just got hired :) for MTA bus operator and i start my training in the Bronx on Jan 17, the lady downtown make it a point to let my no that I'm mta bus and not transit,

what the big deal, is it the pay or what? i really dont care i'm just happy to be working at mta, its been 4 year since i took the test.

What is the test number that you have taken ?

I bet it was not 5025 or 8006 ( these are TA tests )

wow 4 years....that is crazy.....I guess its a hard to get job there....here in Edmonton, Canada, it is not that hard, but im not sure if they are accepting apps right now. But 4 years....gosh...Dont know if I would have waited. Although depends on the pay...

Congtats! You still work for the MTA period. A lot of TA/OA employees have this superiority complex, and think Bus Co. is beneath them. Pay it no attention at all.

QUOTE=jmazz77;368877]The pay is a little less, I think. Biggest difference from ta is you are not civil service. And you can only work in an mta bus depot and they are all in queens.

You are forgetting they are in Brooklyn, Bronx, and Yonkers as well.

And I new exam 8006 was ta, but the kept saying you are mta and not ta, but all well jus happy to be working, and not to make anyone go crazy but my list number was 2238.

Ok then, you are from exam 5025, which was given about 4 years ago. The last eligible list number certified from 8006 is #191. That clears that part out, but I have no idea what that lady was talking to you about and perhaps neither does she.:eek:

Edit: Has anybody else from the 8006 list been called down to start training on

Jan 17th?

No i def took exam 8006 with list 2238 it said it on my paper work, I will say that mta had call me some time ago, but at that time I didn't want to leave my banking job. But around aug when I got layoff I started calling mta to see about b/o for exam 8006" I even went downtown and updated my phone number and address with mta, and the mid of dec I got a letter telling me to come in for my pre employement and now I'm in.

No i def took exam 8006 with list 2238 it said it on my paper work, I will say that mta had call me some time ago, but at that time I didn't want to leave my banking job. But around aug when I got layoff I started calling mta to see about b/o for exam 8006" I even went downtown and updated my phone number and address with mta, and the mid of dec I got a letter telling me to come in for my pre employement and now I'm in.

"I will say that mta had call me some time ago, but at that time I didn't want to leave my banking job."

STOP RIGHT THERE, SO YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE CALLED FROM THE 8006? C'MON! SOME TIME AGO WAS HOW LONG AGO? YOU CAN'T BE FROM THE 8006 LIST. YOUR NUMBERS ARE OFF.. AND YOU WERE A BANKER? LOL

"and the mid of dec I got a letter telling me to come in for my pre employement and now I'm in."

OK, ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE ON HERE THAT GOT THOSE LETTERS WERE FROM

ANOTHER LIST(5025)

Congratulations. It is a good-paying job that many would kill to have. If you want to live a long, healthy life after you retire, use this as a survival guide:

-Be extremely patient.

-Avoid confrontation at all costs.

-If someone curses you out pretend you did not hear it. Ignore them completely.

-If someone threatens you you can call the cops or take a personal if you want. Talk is cheap most of the time, but if you are physically threatened you are not doomed to a punching bag fate. There are ways out.

-Do not get the idea in your head that you must make your time every trip. Some operators stress themselves out if they are one minute late and they have decent recovery time. Lateness is not your fault unless you could have left the first stop on time but decide to leave late for illegitimate reasons. I could delve into a whole historical/political explanation about whose fault it really is, but that's another story. Even if you are so late that you will not be on time for your next trip and no dispatchers put you in place, do not stress it. The worst that will happen is that you will lose part of your swing (depending on the competence of said dispatchers or lack thereof).

-Actually if you are extremely late because you spend half the trip picking up a thousand wheelchairs/walkers or you lack a leader or there was traffic, this is good because the later you are the more the dispatcher's back is to the wall and the more (s)he is forced to put you in place. Especially right before swing.

-Pre-trip your bus and if you find defects that make it dangerous to drive, do not pull that bus out. If the yard dispatch wants to mouth off, let them mouth off. You are in the right and they are in the wrong because you are looking out for your safety and for the safety of passengers and other motorists.

If you get a bus with any of these defects/defective/improperly working parts, I advise you to be a complete hard a$$ about not pulling it out or reporting to dispatcher (road or yard), calling console: Brake lights. Headlights. Turn signals. Marker lights. Clearance lights. Also if you can try to get buses where all your signs work.

-In order to cover yourself when the union says do not pull out defective buses and then management wants to retaliate by going hard on operators for nonsensical reasons (which has happened twice in the last few months), report for work about 10-15 minutes earlier than the time printed on your paddle. When the union said recently, do not pull out defective buses, management decided to give operators violations and send them home for reporting ONE TO TWO MINUTES LATE. No. You must handcuff management and give them absolutely no reason (even a nonsense reason) to give you a violation, send you home, etc etc. Give them no breathing room to mess with you whatsoever. That includes not coming in even one minute late. This is important even when management and the union are not fighting, because I know operators that report 15 minutes early and still pull out late because some nonsense is going down in the yard. Protect yourself. Do not become a victim of their incompetence. If you pull out late it doesn't matter because you still reported on time and they can't bang you. This is how you put their backs to the wall and give them no breathing room whatsoever to mess with you.

The thing with the one to two minutes late and them issuing violations does not happen every day, only when management decides they want to send the wolves after innocent bystanders/workers, usually for no legitimate reason. However you must try to mitigate that even under normal circumstances. No breathing room whatsoever for them to mess with you.

My apologies to the competent people in supervisory and management positions.

Stop confusing people !

you can not be on 8006 with list number 2238. You are defenetly on 5025 with list number 2238 if you are TA

OR you are on OA list (not civil service, forgot the numbers ) with a list number 2238. but i did not hear them calling from those lists now

OR you are on OA list (not civil service, forgot the numbers ) with a list number 2238. but i did not hear them calling from those lists now

I sure hope not b/c they still got guys on the street waiting to be called back.. like me... lol

Congratulations. It is a good-paying job that many would kill to have. If you want to live a long, healthy life after you retire, use this as a survival guide:

-Be extremely patient.

-Avoid confrontation at all costs.

-If someone curses you out pretend you did not hear it. Ignore them completely.

-If someone threatens you you can call the cops or take a personal if you want. Talk is cheap most of the time, but if you are physically threatened you are not doomed to a punching bag fate. There are ways out.

-Do not get the idea in your head that you must make your time every trip. Some operators stress themselves out if they are one minute late and they have decent recovery time. Lateness is not your fault unless you could have left the first stop on time but decide to leave late for illegitimate reasons. I could delve into a whole historical/political explanation about whose fault it really is, but that's another story. Even if you are so late that you will not be on time for your next trip and no dispatchers put you in place, do not stress it. The worst that will happen is that you will lose part of your swing (depending on the competence of said dispatchers or lack thereof).

-Actually if you are extremely late because you spend half the trip picking up a thousand wheelchairs/walkers or you lack a leader or there was traffic, this is good because the later you are the more the dispatcher's back is to the wall and the more (s)he is forced to put you in place. Especially right before swing.

-Pre-trip your bus and if you find defects that make it dangerous to drive, do not pull that bus out. If the yard dispatch wants to mouth off, let them mouth off. You are in the right and they are in the wrong because you are looking out for your safety and for the safety of passengers and other motorists.

If you get a bus with any of these defects/defective/improperly working parts, I advise you to be a complete hard a$$ about not pulling it out or reporting to dispatcher (road or yard), calling console: Brake lights. Headlights. Turn signals. Marker lights. Clearance lights. Also if you can try to get buses where all your signs work.

-In order to cover yourself when the union says do not pull out defective buses and then management wants to retaliate by going hard on operators for nonsensical reasons (which has happened twice in the last few months), report for work about 10-15 minutes earlier than the time printed on your paddle. When the union said recently, do not pull out defective buses, management decided to give operators violations and send them home for reporting ONE TO TWO MINUTES LATE. No. You must handcuff management and give them absolutely no reason (even a nonsense reason) to give you a violation, send you home, etc etc. Give them no breathing room to mess with you whatsoever. That includes not coming in even one minute late. This is important even when management and the union are not fighting, because I know operators that report 15 minutes early and still pull out late because some nonsense is going down in the yard. Protect yourself. Do not become a victim of their incompetence. If you pull out late it doesn't matter because you still reported on time and they can't bang you. This is how you put their backs to the wall and give them no breathing room whatsoever to mess with you.

The thing with the one to two minutes late and them issuing violations does not happen every day, only when management decides they want to send the wolves after innocent bystanders/workers, usually for no legitimate reason. However you must try to mitigate that even under normal circumstances. No breathing room whatsoever for them to mess with you.

My apologies to the competent people in supervisory and management positions.

Mandatory reading for all concerned. The same applies to all T/Os and C/Rs. Rule # 1 CYA.

Hey loco I have no reason to lie, if u don't belivie me that find, but don't try to play me, yea I was a banker but I'm going in a another direction, i was called a long time ago, mta even had my old preemployment paper work from when I first went in 2008" in fact I even posted onthis forum under under ( I think my name was bread123 under what should I do stay in banking or go to mta) I really can't remeber my name on here or the passwork that why I started a new one.I would love to show u my paper work so you could have that stupid look on yr face, in face I sent u something that I can scan, I than I want you to say loco is sorry, and I should not be a jerk.

Archived