R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

3 hours ago, Train92 said:

Wouldn't it be easier to send the rest of the 8 cars to CI instead of Piktin?

Move would be as so:

179 to CI -> (G) 's R68 moves to (N) / (Q) / (W) -> R160 from CI moves to Jamaica -> R46 moves to the (A) / (C) -> R32 to CI for (B) . Cycle repeats with R32.

It's been repeated, the R32's aren't going to the (B)

If the R160 swap happens, the (B) is getting R46's and possibly the R42's 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

It's been repeated, the R32's aren't going to the (B)

If the R160 swap happens, the (B) is getting R46's and possibly the R42's 

No, You were correct about R42’s being a “reserved” fleet. They’re going to be Pitkin’s property but OOS until an R179 craps out. They’re going to be reserved spares (not used in regular passenger service) 

22 minutes ago, VIP said:

No, You were correct about R42’s being a “reserved” fleet. They’re going to be Pitkin’s property but OOS until an R179 craps out. They’re going to be reserved spares (not used in regular passenger service) 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that the r42's should be preserved as a "reserved" or " emergency " fleet once all r179's are in service. In fact, this is something that the MTA should do moving forward. In other words, subway cars should not be scrapped immediately after retirement. They should be preserved as an "emergency" fleet until the newer cars are running smoothly.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

56 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that the r42's should be preserved as a "reserved" or " emergency " fleet once all r179's are in service. In fact, this is something that the MTA should do moving forward. In other words, subway cars should not be scrapped immediately after retirement. They should be preserved as an "emergency" fleet until the newer cars are running smoothly.

I believe they always did this, when the 160s we're coming in, the 32-42 cars usually went to Concourse yard for storage for a bit before being moved to 207th for disposal.

Also R40 Slants came back on the N after the 160s pushed them off the line, due to the Siemens units needed to be sidelined for some issue they had.

1 hour ago, VIP said:

This move has a lot less to do with reservedness and more, I think, to do with Canarsie chaos. They need somewhere to put the 42s while all this is getting worked out. 

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

I believe they always did this, when the 160s we're coming in, the 32-42 cars usually went to Concourse yard for storage for a bit before being moved to 207th for disposal.

Also R40 Slants came back on the N after the 160s pushed them off the line, due to the Siemens units needed to be sidelined for some issue they had.

Nah they sat in concourse until they cleared out 207th and moved them to get stripped. That's why we had a car shortage after everything was reefed.

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Although I don’t post much on the subway side of the forum. However, I boarded a (C) train. Looks like the new R179 series. Car # 3172 yesterday. Also spotted a set of cars ending at 3180. Just wanted to know if the R179 cars start in the 3100-3200 series. 

3050-3069, 3074-3149 (J) , 3150-3181 (C) are the current R179s in-service. 3182-3213 are being tested. 

16 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

3206-3209 are reportedly on their way to NYC

The delivered and unaccepted list is only showing cars up to 3205.  Has been for like a month.

So these new delays push first delivery of the 5-car sets to end of March, probably their revenue service well into April, maybe May 2019.

The final delivery now projects into September.

4 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

There are still r160's running on the C. I rode on one of them earlier today.

5 minutes ago, T J Trainman said:

I saw 1 R160 set on the C earlier this evening, 8645-8648, 9967-9970

That was probably the remaining set you guys saw since there’s only one on the (C).

15 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

3206-3209 are reportedly on their way to NYC

15 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

The delivered and unaccepted list is only showing cars up to 3205.  Has been for like a month.

So these new delays push first delivery of the 5-car sets to end of March, probably their revenue service well into April, maybe May 2019.

The final delivery now projects into September.

AtH is correct. Deliveries are resumed as of yesterday.

5 minutes ago, brakethrow said:

So what are train operators saying about the 179s ? Do they like running them ?

From what I've heard, some actually do not since the design of the cab is less intuitive for them, and much smaller which makes it uncomfortable to make certain runs.

Opinions vary though, I'll have to find out more...

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks