R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/31/2019 at 8:54 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

While the last r179 cars are being delivered, the r42's are being retired and the fleet swaps between r46's from Jamaica and r160's from Coney Island are starting to happen.

In the meantime, Happy New year's.

Like I Said Before, Those were confirmed is to be CBTC testing two weeks ago. Not a transfer, yet until CBTC Testing is Passed and Completed.

On 1/3/2020 at 7:32 AM, subwayfan1998 said:

Thanks for sharing this information.

I didn't know that work on 6th Avenue CBTC has already started.

This information shows that it is not guaranteed that QBL will keep all 10 car r160's, since QBL CBTC will be compatible with other NTT'S.

Also, this information shows that Broadway will get the r46's from Jamaica until the r211's and once the r211's enter service Broadway will most likely get the r68's from Concourse and CI.

Additionally, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that once CBTC is complete, the C will wind up with ALL 10 car r179 plus 10 car r160's, while the A becomes 100% r211's and the G gets ALL the 8 car r179's from the C plus a few r179's from ENY.

5 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Thanks for sharing this information.

I didn't know that work on 6th Avenue CBTC has already started.

This information shows that it is not guaranteed that QBL will keep all 10 car r160's, since QBL CBTC will be compatible with other NTT'S.

Also, this information shows that Broadway will get the r46's from Jamaica until the r211's and once the r211's enter service Broadway will most likely get the r68's from Concourse and CI.

Additionally, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that once CBTC is complete, the C will wind up with ALL 10 car r179 plus 10 car r160's, while the A becomes 100% r211's and the G gets ALL the 8 car r179's from the C plus a few r179's from ENY.

Yes, That means Broadway will have Last Pre-NTTs Train when CBTC in 6th Avenue and 8th Avenue are Complete. R211s will came in Q3-Q4 2020

23 minutes ago, subwayfan1998 said:

Yes, That means Broadway will have Last Pre-NTTs Train when CBTC in 6th Avenue and 8th Avenue are Complete. R211s will came in Q3-Q4 2020

I thought after 8 Av was Lexington, followed by Crosstown and Astoria along with completing Queens Blvd all the way to Jamaica Center and 179 St instead of ending at Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike. In the updated plan, 6 Av was removed

Edited by darkstar8983

On 1/2/2020 at 9:21 PM, VIP said:
On 1/2/2020 at 9:18 PM, Snorunts said:

You mean sets, correct?

344 cars which equals 43  eight car train-sets

As of tonight there are 348 at Jamaica; 354 at Pitkin and 48 at Coney Island.  The surviving R-46 total fleet are 750 cars.

(8-car Trains=43.5 Jamaica, 44.25 Pitkin; 6 Coney Island)

Next time you’re on an R179, take a look at the LCD screen in the FIND module. It’s a bit wider than those on the R160, and is clearly a newer, sharper model of screen. But of course, this being the MTA, they decided to literally copy and paste the shitty 2005 video loop from the R160s, complete with off center black borders to cover up the aspect ratio difference, a slogan the MTA doesn’t even use anymore (Going Your Way) and graphics straight out of the dark ages such as the slide featuring the “new” Coney Island Station as a backdrop while an animation about litter catching fire plays at about 5 frames per second. Am I the only one bothered by this?

The only newer graphic is the EasyPay MetroCard ad (probably not too helpful to the OMNY campaign), which is copied over from those newer screens retrofitted onto some R160s in the windowsill a few years ago. Even the route bullet screens are slightly stupid. You can tell on most of them that they have been stretched quite severely to fit the new screen, resulting in some weird looking route descriptor text. Come on guys, it can’t be that hard...

3 hours ago, Amtrak706 said:

Next time you’re on an R179, take a look at the LCD screen in the FIND module. It’s a bit wider than those on the R160, and is clearly a newer, sharper model of screen. But of course, this being the MTA, they decided to literally copy and paste the shitty 2005 video loop from the R160s, complete with off center black borders to cover up the aspect ratio difference, a slogan the MTA doesn’t even use anymore (Going Your Way) and graphics straight out of the dark ages such as the slide featuring the “new” Coney Island Station as a backdrop while an animation about litter catching fire plays at about 5 frames per second. Am I the only one bothered by this?

The only newer graphic is the EasyPay MetroCard ad (probably not too helpful to the OMNY campaign), which is copied over from those newer screens retrofitted onto some R160s in the windowsill a few years ago. Even the route bullet screens are slightly stupid. You can tell on most of them that they have been stretched quite severely to fit the new screen, resulting in some weird looking route descriptor text. Come on guys, it can’t be that hard...

Hey, the R143 screens have, as far as I can tell, never been updated since introduction. The credit card-Metrocard option has been around for a decade and a half plus, I think, same with Request-a-Stop. Paper ads were easier!

33 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Hey, the R143 screens have, as far as I can tell, never been updated since introduction. The credit card-Metrocard option has been around for a decade and a half plus, I think, same with Request-a-Stop. Paper ads were easier!

Lol. Those R143 screens are so old that they’ve come full circle for me and are almost cool. It seems like these screens become little preserved snapshots of whatever the MTA was going on about when the trains were new.

On 1/4/2020 at 10:21 PM, Snorunts said:
On 1/4/2020 at 10:18 PM, m2fwannabe said:

As of tonight there are 348 at Jamaica; 354 at Pitkin and 48 at Coney Island.  The surviving R-46 total fleet are 750 cars.

(8-car Trains=43.5 Jamaica, 44.25 Pitkin; 6 Coney Island)

Jamaica acquired four R-46 cars?

They have to add up to 750 cars overall.  Again, 354 Pitkin + 48 Coney Island = 402 + 348 Jamaica = 750.B-)

On 1/4/2020 at 11:02 PM, Calvin said:

3030-3034, 3035-3039, 3040-3044, 3045-3049 are what's left in order for the (A) to be complete

Same info here.  I would expect 3030-39 perhaps on the road this week, maybe the last 10 (3040-49) aboutish January 20.

No new burn-in video now for quite some time!  Would be fine to see the very last one.

DJ Hammers??