R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Guest lance25
When A new Car Order Come (If it Comes) The R32's will Retire (2014/15), They can't go anywhere, In Other Countries you have trains that are old as the R1/9's still running, All a Train Needs is Good mantanice and its good to go.

You can only maintain these trains for so long before it become easier to just scrap the cars than to fix them. The cars are 46 years old and I'm not saying this to bash the R32s, but they've run their course and need to go.

While other countries may use antiquated trains, here in this country, there are laws in place that prohibit companies like the (MTA) from running trains that are practically falling apart. That's why the R44s are no longer running on the rails. In my opinion, whether or not the R179 comes to fruition (I have a feeling that it will), the (MTA) would rather run fewer trains than run 50-year old cars that really are on their last legs.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can only maintain these trains for so long before it become easier to just scrap the cars than to fix them. The cars are 46 years old and I'm not saying this to bash the R32s, but they've run their course and need to go.

While other countries may use antiquated trains, here in this country, there are laws in place that prohibit companies like the (MTA) from running trains that are practically falling apart. That's why the R44s are no longer running on the rails. In my opinion, whether or not the R179 comes to fruition (I have a feeling that it will), the (MTA) would rather run fewer trains than run 50-year old cars that really are on their last legs.

anyway or the other you got to keep those trains until a new subway car order is due, Maybe if the Dumbass NYCTA put the R32's on the (:P they wouldn't run as much and that would ease the wear and tear and plus the mileage, You can't cut more service so until then those R32's are needed for (C) service and they are not really on their very last legs, the R42's look like pure dog shit compare to the R32's.

Guest lance25

It wouldn't matter if they put them on the (:P, the (D) or the XYZ lines. They're 46 years old and on their last legs. It'll be nothing short of a miracle if they last until 2015.

When is the MTA gonna SMS the R32s and R42s so they can last five more years?

I doubt it, they will leave them the same way unless something comes up, the R42's an't going nowhere ether they are planning to repaint their roof and 207th is repainting their R32 gates.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm being told the MTA has selected a builder for the R179 contract. Now months behind schedule, we are finally getting somewhere!

I have no idea which manufacturer it's going to. I was told I had to wait because it's highly anticipated.

So this is the next order of business for RTO. The award is said to be due within the next 60 days.:cool:

(NYCT)