R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

7 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I’m hoping that you’re right. We really need those cars in service and we need them to work. And hopefully, speed up the process a bit by putting three trains in service simultaneously.

You guys are forgetting that one of the trains has to pass a 30-day revenue test before the other two plus the production cars can go into service.  Plus, any problem that the train has while in service resets the clock.  So it's not likely that whichever train they use will pass the first time.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My question is, why would they start Revenue testing on the J when there will be a GO this weekend causing the J train to only operate from Jamaica to Hewes St? The usually have them tested during normal service conditions. I dont recall revenue testing ever being done on weekends though. I could be wrong on that. 

19 minutes ago, Far Rock Depot said:

My question is, why would they start Revenue testing on the J when there will be a GO this weekend causing the J train to only operate from Jamaica to Hewes St? The usually have them tested during normal service conditions. I dont recall revenue testing ever being done on weekends though. I could be wrong on that. 

IIRC the first R188 factory set entered passenger service during a Steinway tunnel GO and also on a Sunday

8 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

IIRC the first R188 factory set entered passenger service during a Steinway tunnel GO and also on a Sunday

It entered service on a Saturday. November 9th, I believe? 

Either way, these whispers are a good thing. Far Rock Depot says Sunday, and my TTC friend said Saturday (which is now tomorrow) though there is every chance they’ve now pushed it back one day as an extra buffer. Let’s see. 

1 hour ago, R42N said:

It entered service on a Saturday. November 9th, I believe? 

Either way, these whispers are a good thing. Far Rock Depot says Sunday, and my TTC friend said Saturday (which is now tomorrow) though there is every chance they’ve now pushed it back one day as an extra buffer. Let’s see. 

23559567_1495020977201585_81601433324203

I'll take the word of the official bulletin over some "TTC" source.

31 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

So the R179 isn't going into service tonite (Friday 11/17) after all as claimed by those with inside information!  Exactly as I suspected.  

Notice this is an official transit document.  These kind of documents (as well as General Orders and Notices) are the only ways to know stuff like car assignments.  Not inside information!    This is all I want to see!

32 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Dang. A few days ago, everybody was ripping R42N's head off because their TTC source was found to be unreliable when in fact, they were off by a day. When does the first trip start tho on Sunday? 

The point is it's not official until transit says so. And Friday to Sunday is 2 days, 48 hours, since that bulletin does not state what the time the train leaves the yard each day and comes back.  

What time it does leave and comes back is between the vendor (Bombardier staff), car equipment and RTO via telephone each day. 

8 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

So the R179 isn't going into service tonite (Friday 11/17) after all as claimed by those with inside information!  Exactly as I suspected.  

Notice this is an official transit document.  These kind of documents (as well as General Orders and Notices) are the only ways to know stuff like car assignments.  Not inside information!    This is all I want to see!

Hold on, Bill, I never claimed I had inside information. I told you that my friend who works for the TTC (again, she worked on the TTC Rocket/Bombardier deal) was pretty convinced that it was going to enter service on Saturday. She told me that a week ago, and, while she didn’t tell me about the pushback, my guess is it was pushed back by one day for whatever reason. 

After months of “further issues”, “more problems with testing”, “train seizures” , I gave what I knew on a four-year long project, and it was pushed back by mere hours. You can criticize my source, I won’t stop you, but I’m going to send her a thank you email. 

And Friday to Sunday is 2 days, 48 hours

I never said Friday, I always said Saturday. My source, was, admittedly off by a few hours, but I’m not going to complain.... Let’s be happy they are in service.

Edited by R42N

3 minutes ago, R42N said:

Hold on, Bill, I never claimed I had inside information. I told you that my friend who works for the TTC (again, she worked on the TTC Rocket/Bombardier deal) was pretty convinced that it was going to enter service on Saturday. She told me that a week ago, and, while she didn’t tell me about the pushback, my guess is it was pushed back by one day for whatever reason. 

After months of “further issues”, “more problems with testing”, “train seizures” , I gave what I knew on a four-year long project, and it was pushed back by mere hours. You can criticize my source, I won’t stop you, but I’m going to send her a thank you email. 

OK, she was pretty convinced, great.  But I can only take info from someone at another property with a grain of salt.  If the train had issues this week during testing she would have been wrong!  Another reason why I don't believe these things till I see an official document.

5 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

OK, she was pretty convinced, great.  But I can only take info from someone at another property with a grain of salt.  If the train had issues this week during testing she would have been wrong!  Another reason why I don't believe these things till I see an official document.

Of course, you had every right to, and I acknowledged it was pending a good week, I alluded to that when I mentioned my source in Toronto, here’s what I said:

On November 11, 2017 at 8:28 PM, R42N said:

I take no offense, and you have every right to be skeptical. The current schedule is for a Saturday commencement of the 30-day test. That's obviously subject to change, but that's that. 

Again, you have every right to be suspicious, I would be to if I was in your shoes, and there is every chance it won’t happen if things don’t go according to plan. 

It would help if someone credible came out to confirm or outright deny the claim, as it’s not my information (and it’s not some TA employee, it’s a corporate partner at the front office of the TTC in Toronto, who’s in constant chat with her MTA friends.)

Either way, I stand behind her, but it is contingent on a good week of burn-in, etc. 

Edited by R42N

2 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

This document shall end all the ongoing speculation. 

The important thing is thing is that one set of r179's will finally do revenue testing. 

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

23 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

This document shall end all the ongoing speculation. 

The important thing is thing is that one set of r179's will finally do revenue testing. 

Agreed.  Lots of drama over a revenue date, I'm just pleased the order is moving along, even if glacially.  

And the test is being done on the (J) no less.  Is this a first for a revenue test?  Also, is it possible that we could see an R179 (Z) during the week?

The (J) and the (Z) are the same line, just a different stopping pattern. If they have it running during rush hour, there's a good chance.

What I want to know is WHO is gonna be operating these trains? To my knowledge, there's been no qualification classes on them yet, at least for Train Operators & Conductors who work the (J) line.

3 hours ago, Snowblock said:

The (J) and the (Z) are the same line, just a different stopping pattern. If they have it running during rush hour, there's a good chance.

What I want to know is WHO is gonna be operating these trains? To my knowledge, there's been no qualification classes on them yet, at least for Train Operators & Conductors who work the (J) line.

3010-3014 are also in ENY so perhaps they've been training crews on that set

4 hours ago, Snowblock said:

Anyone know what time it should enter service, and, would you guess Hewes St, or Jamaica Center?

Set 3010-3014 is a 5 car set. This set will test and run on the  A train. 5 car sets cannot test or run on the J/Z due to the length of the platform.  Only 4 car sets can test and run on the J, L, M and Z. 

P.S. the r179's aren't running on the L or M, but the L has the same platform length as the J,M, and Z trains. 

17 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Set 3010-3014 is a 5 car set. This set will test and run on the  A train. 5 car sets cannot test or run on the J/Z due to the length of the platform.  Only 4 car sets can test and run on the J, L, M and Z. 

P.S. the r179's aren't running on the L or M, but the L has the same platform length as the J,M, and Z trains. 

We know this. It was just stated that they were there, and I witnessed them heading into Manhattan while on the (M) train.