R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

That was the point of it.

But it seems now, with the 211's, they will adopt an RGB sign that mimics the old rollsigns (and is back in the old side position as well), as the LED's are now small enough for a high enough resolution, Don't know why they couldn't have at least adopted the RGB now for the current signs, but it may be that the sign manufacturer doesn't use RGB's. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, 2 Train Master said:

I'm just curious, is the "announcement lag" an issue involving the train set from properly operating in a timely manner? or are you guys/gals(buffs) making a deal out of it because it doesn't meet your needs for loading/unloading time?

If its the second option just chill, we've all taken the subway during rush hour and some stations the doors stay open longer than usual for reasons of crowds, train connections, someone holding doors, or a train being held etc, but it seems as if this delay is accounting for an additional 5-15 seconds( being generous) per station please correct me if I'm wrong shouldn't be an issue. As for as the announcement lag the situation can be adjusted by the C/R making announcements the old fashioned way until the "delay" is handled.

14 hours ago, Bosco said:

That, and AAS software issues are the easiest thing to fix.  When the R160s first starting running, the AAS was horribly unreliable and froze all the time.

The announcement gaps will likely remain throughout the testing phase as the gap is part of the program's default settings. Until these trains are thoroughly tested, the MTA cannot make any changes to the software or the hardware.

12 hours ago, R42N said:

Looks like the R179’s bullet is easier to photograph. The R160 is totally patchy (circle in-complete, letter grainy) with a camera during the day. 

It's likely a display with a much quicker refresh rate compared to the 12 year old route indicators on the 160s.

10 hours ago, R42N said:

They should have taken a look at your avatar, haha. 

They likely went with the tried and true design of the red bullet displays because it was cheaper than full-color displays.

3 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Does anyone know if the other two 179 sets are still testing since the ENY set hit service, or they are just laid up in the yard waiting for the ENY set to pass its 30 day revenue service test?

I don't think the other two set started the 30 Day acceptance test at all. The 10 car train is still testing and god knows what happened to the other one

35 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

I don't think the other two set started the 30 Day acceptance test at all. The 10 car train is still testing and god knows what happened to the other one

3058-3065 is doing all the testing. Once it passes the 30 day revenue testing, then the other sets will hit service and Bombardier will start delivering the production cars. 

3 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Red is also easier to see from a distance. I find it hard to read the SBS banners from far away.

That's a lie as I can never tell what train is coming until it's about 100 feet away. 

Can't wait for route bullets to come back. At least I can see that from the other end of the platform. 

53 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Does anyone noticed the "ding" before the manual announcements play is like how the R142/A subway cars does it to? 

Yup, and the door chimes are also the same.  I like those better as they're a lot clearer.

As for the red bullet indicators, the design for the NTT family dates back to the '90s, so it would make sense that red displays were the cheapest way of knowing if a train was approaching.  While we're on the topic, according to the Wikipedia page for the R110A, "The LED display on the front of the car could either be red, for Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line service, or green, for Lexington Avenue Line service."  Is this fake news or is it legit?

3 hours ago, djtoro7 said:

3058-3065 is doing all the testing. Once it passes the 30 day revenue testing, then the other sets will hit service and Bombardier will start delivering the production cars. 

It makes sense.  This set hardly did any testing in comparison to the other two sets.

14 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

That's a lie as I can never tell what train is coming until it's about 100 feet away. 

Can't wait for route bullets to come back. At least I can see that from the other end of the platform. 

On lines where different colored routes, the colors would be the clearest indicator of which line; for both passengers, and even towers.

45 minutes ago, Eric B said:

On lines where different colored routes, the colors would be the clearest indicator of which line; for both passengers, and even towers.

Tell me about it. I'm not trying to be at the platform edge just to be disappointed lol. 

19 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Red is also easier to see from a distance. I find it hard to read the SBS banners from far away.

That's due to the lack on good contrast on the bus signs. The dark border surrounding the characters reduces the overall  visibility in my opinion.

14 hours ago, Bosco said:

Yup, and the door chimes are also the same.  I like those better as they're a lot clearer.

As for the red bullet indicators, the design for the NTT family dates back to the '90s, so it would make sense that red displays were the cheapest way of knowing if a train was approaching.  While we're on the topic, according to the Wikipedia page for the R110A, "The LED display on the front of the car could either be red, for Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line service, or green, for Lexington Avenue Line service."  Is this fake news or is it legit?

While I cannot offer any proof to confirm this, mainly because the cars generally operated on the (2) line, I would not be surprised if they did have the capability to show different colors. Both R110 orders were built to showcase the new technology available in the early '90s and how it could be utilized in the future. The MTA was likely not as concerned with an expensive add-on for a one-off design than they would be on a bulk order such as the subsequent R142 order.