R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

R32's going to CIY for SMS not fleet swap

How often do those cars get SMSed? It seems like every year I hear about 32s and 42s getting sent off to SMS, but maybe there are just different batches.

3 minutes ago, P3F said:

How often do those cars get SMSed? It seems like every year I hear about 32s and 42s getting sent off to SMS, but maybe there are just different batches.

Since they're very old cars, they need more maintenance than the rest of the subway cars. I wouldn't if it's done more than once a year.

50 minutes ago, P3F said:

Subway cars get SMS'd Every six years, just because their going to CI Yard doesn't mean their getting SMS'd, it might be some other type of work.

On 3/20/2018 at 5:43 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

We are on topic. The C train mess is a reflection of the bad decisions made by the MTA in regards to the r179's.

And to top it off, all sets of r179's are OOS.

"Bravo" MTA and Bombardier.

It's not the MTA's fault.

And R32's/42's are not part of this discussion guys.

On 3/20/2018 at 5:46 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

So in other words there's a lack of R179s for service? I was wondering why they had the much older trains running on the (C).  That explains a lot.  Adding salt to the womb...

They've been on the (C) forever lol. The 179's have been testing on the (J) and there are only 3 sets anyway. So technically as Cait Said none of that was really on topic. These trains haven't really affected or changed service in any way. 

9 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

First clip courtesy of DJ Hammers I guess those r32's/r42's are going to the G.

The second clip is on the newest set of r179's being transferred to Pitkin.

9 hours ago, RR503 said:

Almost certainly part of scheduled maintenance, not a fleet swap. 

5 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

R32's going to CIY for SMS not fleet swap

5 hours ago, P3F said:

4 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Since they're very old cars, they need more maintenance than the rest of the subway cars. I wouldn't if it's done more than once a year.

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Subway cars get SMS'd Every six years, just because their going to CI Yard doesn't mean their getting SMS'd, it might be some other type of work.

Those four cars went to CIY for repair work that ENY yard couldn't do. No fleet swaps involving CIY have started yet.

On 3/21/2018 at 11:48 PM, Dj Hammers said:

Those four cars went to CIY for repair work that ENY yard couldn't do. No fleet swaps involving CIY have started yet.

Those R42’s (50 cars) are unacceptable for service. They Can’t ignore the scratchitti and graffiti all over the windows. It’s atrocious. 

8 hours ago, VIP said:

Those R42’s (50 cars) are unacceptable for service. They Can’t ignore the scratchitti and graffiti all over the windows. It’s atrocious. 

Does the MTA really need to preserved those r42's for the L train shutdown?? Those trains are in so bad shape as well as some r32's. And we are getting extra r179's.

2 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Does the MTA really need to preserved those r42's for the L train shutdown?? Those trains are in so bad shape as well as some r32's. And we are getting extra r179's.

They may look like trap but they still run good to me, their HAVC works good, etc. Railfans in recent years seem to over react as to how bad the 42s really are. I ride the cars regularly and honesty can't think of a single thing to complain about.

9 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Some of the cars currently on the (L) will be moved over to the (M) for the closure. However, that will not account for the boost in service on the (G) line, nor will it make up for any other service increases, like the current push for 10-car (C) trains and "full-length" (G) trains. While not optimal, the 42s -still function well enough that they can be retained in order to ensure service can be made through the duration of the tunnel closure.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

They may look like trap but they still run good to me, their HAVC works good, etc. Railfans in recent years seem to over react as to how bad the 42s really are. I ride the cars regularly and honesty can't think of a single thing to complain about.

I agree with you....Ive really never had a problem with those cars...Even on the all underground (C)....

12 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The R32s are fine, yes. It's the R42s that are in awful condition. So much more vandalized and feels like their rusty tin can frame will fall apart at any moment.

12 hours ago, Lance said:

Some of the cars currently on the (L) will be moved over to the (M) for the closure. However, that will not account for the boost in service on the (G) line, nor will it make up for any other service increases, like the current push for 10-car (C) trains and "full-length" (G) trains. While not optimal, the 42s -still function well enough that they can be retained in order to ensure service can be made through the duration of the tunnel closure.

Yes, but I still fail to see how 5 measly sets of R42s do anything to help. There will be a surplus of 480-ft trains once the R179s all arrive, more than enough to push the (J) R160As to the (G) and make the (J) all R179 during the shutdown. And, like you mention, the (L) will give a few of its sets to the (M), effectively rendering number of train sets a non-issue for the Eastern division and (G)

Now, lets assume some R32s go to CI and end up on either the (B) or supplement (G) R160s. The 68s from the (B) and (G) move to the (N)(Q), and the (N)(Q) give up a few R160s to Jamaica. Jamaica then gives some R46s to the (C), and once the 10-car R179s arrive, so does the (A), effectively making the (C) "full length."

Again, where do the ancient R42s play a role? This is the scenario I envision, though I could very well be mistaken, hopefully not though lol.

The (A) is getting the majority of the R32's while the (G) is getting some (40-60 cars) The (C) going full length by having 80-100% R46.

The R42's will likely go to the (A) as well.

The 12 sets of 10 car R179's will be on the (A) alongside the R32's and R46's with 3 sets of R42's. 

The (G) is TBD at this point but its rumored to be 8 car R179's or R160A-1's with 8 car R32's.

ENY is currently receiving the R179's first with the 3 sets in service as of now.

Plus if most or all the 60 foot smees are on the (A), It would require a high spare factor thus keeping the R42's until the shutdown is over.

Edited by R32 3838

7 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

The (A) is getting the majority of the R32's while the (G) is getting some (40-60 cars) The (C) going full length by having 80-100% R46.

The R42's will likely go to the (A) as well.

The 12 sets of 10 car R179's will be on the (A) alongside the R32's and R46's with 3 sets of R42's. 

The (G) is TBD at this point but its rumored to be 8 car R179's or R160A-1's with 8 car R32's.

ENY is currently receiving the R179's first with the 3 sets in service as of now.

Plus if most or all the 60 foot smees are on the (A), It would require a high spare factor thus keeping the R42's until the shutdown is over.

This is one of the most logical scenario.

Keep in mind the A has more subway cars than the C. Therefore, if all C trains consist of full length r46's, the A will still have r46's in addition to the r179's and r32's.

The question will be what would happen to the r68's on the G. It should go to the B or D trains.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Keep in mind the A has more subway cars than the C. Therefore, if all C trains consist of full length r46's, the A will still have r46's in addition to the r179's and r32's.

The question will be what would happen to the r68's on the G. It should go to the B or D trains.

Probably over to the (N) train, as some of it’s R160’s go to the (R) .

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I looked over info that was released recently and with what was said, the following would like ocurr:

R179 displaces R160A (4 car) to CI

R68 displaced from (G) onto (N)(Q)(W)

Some R160 5 cars to Jamaica

R46s split with Pitkin and CI

52 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I looked over info that was released recently and with what was said, the following would like ocurr:

R179 displaces R160A (4 car) to CI

R68 displaced from (G) onto (N)(Q)(W)

Some R160 5 cars to Jamaica

R46s split with Pitkin and CI

R46's to CI?? Interesting!! Are these sets going to the B or G??