R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/13/2018 at 4:08 PM, thicctrain said:

We should probably see what the (MTA) has to say. What we're certain of is that the (J)(M)(Z) are getting 179s, (G)(C) gets r160s. The (MTA) is probably not gonna get R68s retired because they don't see what its doing to the (B) or have other priorities. Also, if the (B) gives its 68s to another line, it causes bunching on that line (granted it shares track). It would be best to run 68s on line that can deal with bunching because they share tracks alot, like maybe the (Q) because it has a fleet gap and is the only Bway express. The (B) would get SMEEs.

The (N) is Broadway express as well.

Just a little thing I don't exactly get... If the (B)(G) are giving R68s to the (Q) but the (F)(R) can just take R160s from CI, why can't the (Q)?

Also, the (A) and (C) lines will gain CBTC from 59th to High, so they are probably gonna become fully R160. The (F)(G) from Bergen to Church is also getting CBTC.  

1 hour ago, thicctrain said:

Just a little thing I don't exactly get... If the (B)(G) are giving R68s to the (Q) but the (F)(R) can just take R160s from CI, why can't the (Q)?

Also, the (A) and (C) lines will gain CBTC from 59th to High, so they are probably gonna become fully R160. The (F)(G) from Bergen to Church is also getting CBTC.  

True, but QBL CBTC will come sooner so the fleet assignments should look something like this

April 2019-July/August 2020 (L) train shutdown era.

(A)(C) swap ALL R46's with the (N)(W)

(C) hands over ALL 8 car R160's to ENY and CIY

ENY and Pitkin/207 hands over all R32's and R42's to CIY. While they get R179's. 

(A) R160, 10 car R179

(C) 10 car R160 

(B) Half R68A, half R32. R42's as back up

(G) 8 car R32's and R160's

(J) R160,  8 car R179

(L) only R143's

(M) gets additional R160's from the (L) 

(N)(W) All R46 and some additional R68's.

After 2020

(L) gets its R160's back

(B)(G) keeps the R32's and R42's

(A)(C) keeps its 179's but could get R46's  back or R68(A)'s

R211's come in and could possibly go to the (A)(C)(B)(F)(G)(N)(R) and (W) lines

14 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Ya'll getting annoying with the R32 being on the (B) rumor. 

Back to the R179 topic

They have tss riding the R179's in the back to troubleshoot any issue that comes up.

It's more annoying when we have members who think they know exactly what the MTA will run during the shutdown. 

The only thing we can do is speculate at this time, even with certain connections to the MTA. The only thing we know right now is the following:

R32s and R42s are getting off the BMT east with service for the (A) and possibly (B)(G)

R46s to Coney Island for the (N) and (W) , with possible service on the (B)

R68s moved from the (G) to go onto the (Q)

R160As from the (C)  to the (G) with possibilities of going to BMT east.

Most R160s from Coney Island to Jamaica (most likely all sets except Siemens)

I bolded certain words to make sure that it is expressed that it can or cannot happen. All depending on how the R179s go and what the MTA plans at the time.

46 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Ya'll getting annoying with the R32 being on the (B) rumor. 

Back to the R179 topic

They have tss riding the R179's in the back to troubleshoot any issue that comes up.

Right now nothing has been confirmed by the MTA in regards to car assignments for the Canarsie shutdown. 

Everything that has been mentioned in this forum in regards to that matter is just ideas and suggestions. Some of you have posted very good ideas, but some ideas aren't that great.

Of course, all of this will end once all r179s are delivered and the MTA confirms the car assignments, which may be something completely different to what we have been saying.

Just now, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Of course, all of this will end once all r179s are delivered and the MTA confirms the car assignments, which may be something completely different to what we have been saying.

..... and then the R211 speculation would begin right after the (L) shutdown so there's no escape from this hell hole of speculation 

1 hour ago, LGA Link N train said:

True, but QBL CBTC will come sooner so the fleet assignments should look something like this

ENY and Pitkin/207 hands over all R32's and R42's to CIY. While they get R179's. 

(A) R160, 10 car R179

(C) 10 car R160 

(J) R160,  8 car R179

(L) only R143's

After 2020

(L) gets its R160's back

This is a good plan. Let's see what happens. Nothing has been confirmed by the MTA yet.

Although I still don't think the r42's will operate during the shutdown, especially if all r179s are delivered on time.

1 minute ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

This is a good plan. Let's see what happens. Nothing has been confirmed by the MTA yet.

Although I still don't think the r42's will operate during the shutdown, especially if all r179s are delivered on time.

I don't think so either but I wrote it down as a possible backup  (imagine all those foamers going crazy) 

6 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

..... and then the R211 speculation would begin right after the (L) shutdown so there's no escape from this hell hole of speculation 

Yes, but since it is Kawasaki who's building the r211s, we won't have to worry too much about delays in delivery like the r179s, which is a really annoying situation.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

2 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

(A) R160, 10 car R179

(C) 10 car R160 

(J) R160,  8 car R179

(L) only R143's

After 2020

(L) gets its R160's back

I don't think it will come much sooner, as all the CBTC stuff (or at least the funding) is in the same Capital Program. I do agree with your roster though.

1 hour ago, LGA Link N train said:

Passengers Will hate hate hate hate hate hate 

Foamers gonna foam foam foam foam foam foam

I'm just gonna sit here and railfan all day

........ok, what am I doing at this point

Lmao. You deadass just reminded me of that Rihanna song "work work work work work". :lol:

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:51 AM, Calvin said:

Today, all 3 R179s are back in service. However, when it arrives at the station, the countdown clocks and subway time does not show the arrival of that train. 

To answer the question posed way back when it seems, the transponders on the 179s are likely offline at the moment if they have been installed.

14 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

That post reminded me of the Taylor Swift song "Shake it off".

I actually read that post in her voice :lol:

Too bad some of you guys don't know how to actually shake it off. Then again, considering the context of the song, perhaps it makes perfect sense.

We all understand you have certain ideas on where the trains will run once X happens or when Y stops running. Spamming the same ideas with slight adjustments, if that, are not going to make your point come across any clearer than your previous posts. Nor does it make you any more correct as to what the MTA will actually do. All it does is aggravate everyone involved: those who are so sure their "assignments" are the right ones, and those who are tired of seeing post after post on the subject. Really, if I were to take a look at the past few months of activity on this thread, I'm sure at least half of it would be speculation on where the cars are going. Before anyone says otherwise, I'm not against the speculation. In fact, I welcome it as it gives people something to talk about while we wait for these trains to enter service. I just feel some of you need to accept that you will be wrong and move beyond it. Some of the related posts come across as though you are living and breathing these cars and their related assignments to the point of obsession. Don't make your hobby become an obsession.

On the subject of the actual 179s, what is holding up the five-car sets? I understand that 3010-14 are being send back to the factory for some kind of work, but what's holding up the rest of the cars? What's so different between the four- and five-car sets that is prevent the latter of which from running?

1 hour ago, Lance said:

To answer the question posed way back when it seems, the transponders on the 179s are likely offline at the moment if they have been installed.

Too bad some of you guys don't know how to actually shake it off. Then again, considering the context of the song, perhaps it makes perfect sense.

We all understand you have certain ideas on where the trains will run once X happens or when Y stops running. Spamming the same ideas with slight adjustments, if that, are not going to make your point come across any clearer than your previous posts. Nor does it make you any more correct as to what the MTA will actually do. All it does is aggravate everyone involved: those who are so sure their "assignments" are the right ones, and those who are tired of seeing post after post on the subject. Really, if I were to take a look at the past few months of activity on this thread, I'm sure at least half of it would be speculation on where the cars are going. Before anyone says otherwise, I'm not against the speculation. In fact, I welcome it as it gives people something to talk about while we wait for these trains to enter service. I just feel some of you need to accept that you will be wrong and move beyond it. Some of the related posts come across as though you are living and breathing these cars and their related assignments to the point of obsession. Don't make your hobby become an obsession.

On the subject of the actual 179s, what is holding up the five-car sets? I understand that 3010-14 are being send back to the factory for some kind of work, but what's holding up the rest of the cars? What's so different between the four- and five-car sets that is prevent the latter of which from running?

I guess delivery of the 8 car r179s may resume at any moment now that the 3 trains are back in service.

As for 3010-3019, there's a lot that needs to be fixed and I wouldn't be surprised if all of the 10 car r179s become the last r179s to enter service.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983