R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Precisely. We'll see everything when it happens. Knowing how things have been working over at Bombardier lately with their Toronto orders, that might be a while, but we won't know anything until the trains have arrived in New York.

With all of the nonsense here, I don't remember if somebody has already answered what I am about to ask: Has the test train (supposedly due for delivery this month) arrived yet?

I've anticipated this since 2014 so I am not the only one annoyed by this.

Also, since I am too lazy to read every single page on this thread, can someone please sum up all the most likely R179 car assignments as in what lines they will serve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want to point out that there is a lot of misinformation and incorrect statements in the last 5 pages or so of this thread.. 

Just wait and see. 

Here's your summation: T.B.A.

*clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* 

Anyways, I'm hoping to God that Bombardier gets this subway car into the city. 

I've anticipated this since 2014 so I am not the only one annoyed by this.

Also, since I am too lazy to read every single page on this thread, can someone please sum up all the most likely R179 car assignments as in what lines they will serve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's your summation: T.B.A.

As Fan Railer stated it is TBA. Railfans would think that it would be straightforward with the R179 4-cars going to the (C)(J) and (Z). However, the R179s could go only to the (J)(Z) and the R160s there would move to the (C), or vice-versa. If there are R179s are at ENY, then the (M) could also use them. Things get worse when considering the 5-car sets. They could go to Jamaica, and then some R160s would go to CI for the (Q). Or they could go to the (A) and then things get complicated and you get the picture. We can't definitively tell.

Adding onto that, what we do know is that the 179 order, whenever it gets here, is slated to replace all of the remaining 42s and some of the 32s. The five-car sets are for fleet expansion because of the 2nd Avenue line and restoration of (W) service. Even with that information and the nature of the 179 order limiting the number of options where these cars can go, we cannot be entirely certain where they will end up.

There's another factor thrown into the assignment mess: when will the QBL CBTC project wrap up? Jamaica's fleet will need to be 100% NTT when that gets running.

Only one thing is really certain here: the (C)(J)(L)(M)(Z) will be 100% NTT.

Adding onto that, what we do know is that the 179 order, whenever it gets here, is slated to replace all of the remaining 42s and some of the 32s. The five-car sets are for fleet expansion because of the 2nd Avenue line and restoration of (W) service. Even with that information and the nature of the 179 order limiting the number of options where these cars can go, we cannot be entirely certain where they will end up.

I heard from Wiki that Additional R32 sets will be placed on the (Q) for 2 Av when it opens. I don't know if this statement is true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R179_(New_York_City_Subway_car)

I heard from Wiki that Additional R32 sets will be placed on the (Q) for 2 Av when it opens. I don't know if this statement is true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R179_(New_York_City_Subway_car)

You misread it. It says that R179s will go on the (Q). I edit wikipedia and my user name is Kew Gardens 613. I try to keep things reliable. I made it more accurate, stating that it is not certain whether they would go there.

You misread it. It says that R179s will go on the (Q). I edit wikipedia and my user name is Kew Gardens 613. I try to keep things reliable. I made it more accurate, stating that it is not certain whether they would go there.

Neither the R32 or R179s will go on the (Q) when SAS opens. The (Q) is supposed to recieve extra R160s from Jamaica, after Pikin sends some R46s to accomadate the R179s.

What are you talking about? When the Manhattan Bridge South side closed (N)(R) used R32's. Both lines traveled through Montague St using this equipment

There is supposedly new wiring and tubing along he tunnel walls that prevent any non curved sided B Div trains from using the tunnel.

However, not that I think it'll ever see the light of day, the Q could still use them. Whenever the Q needs to use Montague, switch fleets with another service that runs out of CIY for the duration.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

Edited by LTA1992

It actually says additional sets can be used on the Q . It doesn't say those sets arw going to be 179s

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The Champlain Valley Rail Snapshots FB group, the one responsible for the R179 testing photos, just posted some photos of the R179 moving around.

8/23/2016 While scoping out things around I caught the D&H 7304 moving out from the base on towards the controlled siding at Bluff. It was the first time I got to catch a Lightning Stripe at the Barracks Golf Course crossing. This past winter the road to the course was closed when the Lightning Stripes were around.

I also observed that Bombardier had moved around the R179 from the buildings. I can't tell which ones are which yet but I don't remember seeing decals on what I had seen before.

Based on being on the side that is the test track I wonder if they've been running them again. Something that would be pretty cool to see.

14054363_1085832818162532_90650807399559

14117823_1085832834829197_82997954769476