R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, where exactly is the plant? I'm in Albany, so I might have to get up there and see for myself.

Its at least 8 hours from NYC and there's no guarantee you will be able to see it on the public streets surrounding Bombardier's plant... I'm sure when the train isn't testing its probably put inside somewhere. If I was you I would just wait until the train comes to NYC and chase the test train whenever they run it... 

Its at least 8 hours from NYC and there's no guarantee you will be able to see it on the public streets surrounding Bombardier's plant... I'm sure when the train isn't testing its probably put inside somewhere. If I was you I would just wait until the train comes to NYC and chase the test train whenever they run it... 

Well clearly this Champlain Valley Rail guy can see it...

I live 2 hours from Plattsburgh. Being as I might be doing something up that way anyways, it's worth a little detour to try and get pictures. Honestly, it's easier for me to get to Plattsburgh than it is for me to get to New York at this point as it's a heck of a lot easier to head north than south.

It seems like he got lucky and caught it. Just saying it would a huge L for him if he traveled hours to this small bumblefukk town where the Bombardier Plant is located at and they move the train to another location at the plant where you can't see it from the street. 

It seems like he got lucky and caught it. Just saying it would a huge L for him if he traveled hours to this small bumblefukk town where the Bombardier Plant is located at and they move the train to another location at the plant where you can't see it from the street.

Dude, he said in multiple posts that he lives closer to Plattsburgh than New York. If it's easier for him to see them there then come down to NY, why not?

To be fair, have you seen Plattsburgh?

Yeah, I have. Yeah, it's a dump, but if I'm going to be up that way, it's worth the half an hour it takes to make a side trip. And for those of you asking why I'd be up there, look at my location. New York takes a heck of a lot more planning than Plattsburgh, even if I take Metro-North.

Anyways, looks like it's a 5 car set in the photo.

It is a 5 car set. They only have one out. A few people on board and around running tests. Going back and forth along their third rail-equipped track a couple miles from the plant. As long as they keep it on the third rail, it's visible to anyone driving by.

• 2 weeks later...

OK everybody....Head's up!

First car (3014) is due at 207 Street on Tuesday next (September 6), late evening.

Probably followed by one car a day until the first, then second, 5-car sets are on the property.

Same process as the R-160's:

Delivery to 207, prep at Pitkin, Static, then Live (Extended) Testing, then?

Have a GREAT Labor Day Weekend.  It will probably be our last peaceful interval for a while.

Here goes nuthin!

Haha, half the railfan community is probably gonna be camped outside 207th Street Yard the night of Sept 6 hoping to get "exclusive" photos of the 179s  :lol:

This is great news, if the first cars start trickling in next week then they should be testing in the subway system by the end of the month at the latest? In this hobby their is nothing better than when a new subway car class debuts, I still remember the early years of the 142s & 143s, I still remember the first time I rode a 160 on the (N) and riding one on the (Z) for the first time after only seeing rusty 42s on the (J)(Z) lines. The next couple of months should be fun!

Maybe I'm imaging things, but in that most recent batch of photos it like like the 179s head/tail lights are more "flat" where's the 160s lights are curved. Its weird because the previous batch of photos the cars looked just like the 160s. Maybe some of the 179 cars will have a different look where's some will look just like the 160s? 

With that being said, can't wait to ride those Bombardier trucks on B div trackage, they ride so smooth on the IRT routes, especially coming into President St N/B, it feels like the train is gliding on air.