R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

I'm certain it will run during the PM Rush when the 30 day test starts..

If so, that means I might be able to catch it. I started school today, and my schedule means that I come out of school earlier on some days.

Cool photo of interior of the cab. Anybody have a pic of the interior of the passenger area?

That picture is from OpenBVE. It is not real. Look at the tracks. Why would the car be on the tracks already?

In terms of car assignments, this is all that the MTA has written.

From the A C Line Review from December 2015

"New 480-foot trains for the C are part of the R179 car order, which was funded in the 2010-2014 Capital Program."

"Upon delivery of R179 cars, currently on order, replace the entire C fleet and a small portion of the A fleet with the new cars."

"NYC Transit will acquire new R179 cars for use on the A and C upon delivery and

has temporarily assigned some newer R160 cars to the C in the interim."

If things will go according to this plan then I would imagine that the R160s would go back to the (J)(Z), and the R179s on the (A) would replace the R32 and R68A sets in use, as well as some R46s, which would be transferred to most likely Jamaica, which would give R160s to CI for the (Q).

Edited by Union Tpke

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its funny that Trucks can't deliver subway cars over the bridge anytime they want when their was plans for subway service to run over the GWB, so the Bridge should be able the handle the weight of a single empty subway car + rush hour traffic.

It's a DOT rule. Supercedes whatever the MTA or the Jersey governor says or attempts to do. It's about the weight limit over the axles of the truck.

Added to the fact that the trucks drive slow enough to impede the normal flow of traffic, and make real wide turns. These things are planned months in advance and are done at night to have the least impact on traffic.

Edited by Turtle

Listen he said he can go on his boat to view the R179s. The way he posts I don't know if he can be joking or just making stories or what.

I rarely take him seriously nowadays, especially with his past "stories" on the forums......

And yet I was right about every R179 detail...

Heheeee... the buffs going crazy over this.

FWIW there are plenty of changes as compared to a 160, or even a 188, mostly inside the cabs. But not posting any pics, mostly cuz I'm lazy.

Correct:

-speedometer and air gauge locations swapped

-new style buttons on the communcations panel and radio consoles

-R188 style "ergonomic" controller

-new style cab door latches

-only one air vent on the offside of the cab

-new style conductor's emergency brake

-several operational components in the cab have been moved around and the buttons and switches on the console have been moved around.

-new style cab seat

-much more visible "door fault lights" next to each individual door panel inside the car. Probably the biggest difference in the passenger area.

-new truck design

-new resistor grid design (for dynamic braking)

-new brake package design (for friction braking)

If you guessed these, you win...absolutely nothing! Carry on with the great debate.