R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally took time to ride one today. A few things struck me:

The LCD screen next to the FIND display is GARBAGE. It's dim and has horrible viewing angles. It's so hard to see it's almost useless. Who picked that component and why did the MTA accept it?

I didn't realize that the fiberglass around the windows is baby blue. It's not as obvious in photos, I guess. It looks so weird and out of place, since nothing else is that color. Why on earth did they do that? It looks cheap. Does no one have any design sense at Bombardier and/or the MTA?

The motor sound is very distinctive. That's another thing that's much more obvious in person than anything I've seen online. 

Are the windows slightly larger? The setback around the window seems less angled, and the frame itself seems thinner. Larger windows (even by a little bit) would be a welcome change. 

Otherwise it seems nice... not really that different from current cars. I'm sure most riders will have no idea. 

Edited by rbrome

23 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

No one makes the current signals anymore. CBTC is the thing on the markets these days.

The MTA is slow with it because testing has to be rigorous, and there's only so much time that they get during shutdowns to actually do work (since a good amount of time before and after is getting stuff set up in place).

Brownfield status indeed. 

4 hours ago, rbrome said:

The LCD screen next to the FIND display is GARBAGE. It's dim and has horrible viewing angles. It's so hard to see it's almost useless. Who picked that component and why did the MTA accept it?

I didn't realize that the fiberglass around the windows is baby blue. It's not as obvious in photos, I guess. It looks so weird and out of place, since nothing else is that color. Why on earth did they do that? It looks cheap. Does no one have any design sense at Bombardier and/or the MTA?

The motor sound is very distinctive. That's another thing that's much more obvious in person than anything I've seen online. 

Are the windows slightly larger? The setback around the window seems less angled, and the frame itself seems thinner. Larger windows (even by a little bit) would be a welcome change. 

Otherwise it seems nice... not really that different from current cars. I'm sure most riders will have no idea. 

Antenna Design didn't design the R179 interior?  They did for the R143 when I was Kawasaki I did CAD work on that contract. The 142/A was locked in before I was there but I know for a fact they did the interior and exterior design. Kawasaki created and built the pipeline/QA and executed. Sure it's the same for Bombardier no?  

Edited by RailRunRob

10 hours ago, rbrome said:

Oh no, the riders definitely have noticed. Down to the children. And they seem to be well received.

While the FINDs themselves are much brighter than the R160s (to the point where I'd almost think I didn't need new glasses lol) the monitor isn't really dim. The brightness of the station stops and transfers makes it seem so. My issue is that they just imported the 160 programs without taking the larger screens into account. So many things look stretched.

The PA system is way crisper than when the 160s were new. I have noticed that the pilot cars are louder on that front than the production cars. Which is my next issue. I like hearing what is being said. And the Eastern Division announcements have always been quite low. 

And yes, I too think the windows are larger for the same reasons you do. And I love it. I would love large windows to make a return. 

I LOVE the MITRAC. Best thing about those cars imo.

I actually prefer the R179 to the 160 despite their issues. To the point where it's starting to feel like a downgrade. And yes, I rode the 160s when they were new too. I mean, I had to skip school to do so. But I could afford the days.

Remember kids, learn the formula of how to pass and you can get away with a lot lol. 

3 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

Oh no, the riders definitely have noticed. Down to the children. And they seem to be well received.

While the FINDs themselves are much brighter than the R160s (to the point where I'd almost think I didn't need new glasses lol) the monitor isn't really dim. The brightness of the station stops and transfers makes it seem so. My issue is that they just imported the 160 programs without taking the larger screens into account. So many things look stretched.

The PA system is way crisper than when the 160s were new. I have noticed that the pilot cars are louder on that front than the production cars. Which is my next issue. I like hearing what is being said. And the Eastern Division announcements have always been quite low. 

And yes, I too think the windows are larger for the same reasons you do. And I love it. I would love large windows to make a return. 

I LOVE the MITRAC. Best thing about those cars imo.

I actually prefer the R179 to the 160 despite their issues. To the point where it's starting to feel like a downgrade. And yes, I rode the 160s when they were new too. I mean, I had to skip school to do so. But I could afford the days.

Remember kids, learn the formula of how to pass and you can get away with a lot lol. 

I love the 179’s for these reasons too, as well as the door closing chime found on the 142’s.

1 hour ago, VIP said:

The windows ARE longer. The stand poles are also distinctive and give the cars an identity. Hopefully their interior specs are not inconsistent like the R160’s

Well remember, the R160 is just the next member of a generation begun by the R143. They probably thought about adding the steel inside to prevent scratchiti(?) after the first cars were constructed. 

The R179 is the same platform as the R160s.  IMO, they're very much like the R142s of the B division.  The side windows are larger, as is the front window on the cab.  The improvements with comfort (the additional grab bars on the blind ends too) and the FIND system are welcome.

On 1/18/2018 at 4:48 PM, rbrome said:

I do feel like some of the finishing touches are cheap especially when compared to Kawasaki trains.  For example:
• The speakers look a lot like the ones on the R62s as opposed to the more seamless design on the R160
• The hinge for the exterior sign cover is visible on the R179 as it is on the R142, but hidden on the R160
• The corner plastic roof pieces on the blind ends (the ones directly above the seats) don't have vents, as opposed to the R160
• The radiator cover on the R179 looks incredibly cheap
• The grab handles near the cab partitions (the ones near the L1 and R1 doors) look tacky when compared to the R160

These are the least of the cars' issues, but it is yet another testament to Bombardier cutting corners wherever they can.  Don't get me started on the R142 aesthetics...

Edited by Bosco

21 minutes ago, Bosco said:

The R179 is the same platform as the R160s.  IMO, they're very much like the R142s of the B division.  The side windows are larger, as is the front window on the cab.  The improvements with comfort (the additional grab bars on the blind ends too) and the FIND system are welcome.

I do feel like some of the finishing touches are cheap especially when compared to Kawasaki trains.  For example:
• The speakers look a lot like the ones on the R62s as opposed to the more seamless design on the R160
• The hinge for the exterior sign cover is visible on the R179 as it is on the R142, but hidden on the R160
• The corner plastic roof pieces on the blind ends (the ones directly above the seats) don't have vents, as opposed to the R160
• The radiator cover on the R179 looks incredibly cheap
• The grab handles near the cab partitions (the ones near the L1 and R1 doors) look tacky when compared to the R160

These are the least of the cars' issues, but it is yet another testament to Bombardier cutting corners wherever they can.  Don't get me started on the R142 aesthetics...

Kawasaki's assembly process and Q/A. Bombardier isn't even in the same league.

Edited by RailRunRob

Ya'll have to remember that the R179's were always intended to look like R160 clones, or twins, because they were intended to finish what the R160's have started. In other words, they were meant to do what the 160's could not- replace the R32 and R42. 

And of course, since there's been multiple delays and the (L) shutdown, they won't retire the remaining SMEES until after Canarsie. 

P.S. A little off topic, but I changed my name to @Coney Island Av because my old name, D to 96 St was a little too "generic." 

Edited by Coney Island Av

2 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Ya'll have to remember that the R179's were always intended to look like R160 clones, or twins, because they were intended to finish what the R160's have started. In other words, they were meant to do what the 160's could not- replace the R32 and R42. 

And of course, since there's been multiple delays and the (L) shutdown, they won't retire the remaining SMEES until after Canarsie. 

P.S. A little off topic, but I changed my name to @Coney Island Av because my old name, D to 96 St was a little too "generic." 

R143's started it all!  The 160's and 179's are both the copies! ;)

13 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Speaking of NTT. NY1 is  saying that Kawasaki will build the r211s and that it will be a 1,600 car order.

Confirmed and posted in the R211 discussion thread.  No surprise there.

Not to play semantics, but can we even consider the R211 part of the NTT family or is it an entirely new class?  I know we've had this discussion before, but I'm curious especially now that we know roughly what they will look like and who will build them.

53 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Confirmed and posted in the R211 discussion thread.  No surprise there.

Not to play semantics, but can we even consider the R211 part of the NTT family or is it an entirely new class?  I know we've had this discussion before, but I'm curious especially now that we know roughly what they will look like and who will build them.

The mechanics are pretty much in line with earlier NTT classes. Besides design and cosmetics id say it's still in the NTT family. If history serves as a guide the R40's and R42's were radically different at the time but there were still mechanically similar to the R10-38 classes SMEE family.  The R179 has some new Tech like VLAN and train controls over ethernet pretty big departure from the 142/43 & 60 Classes it's still in the NTT ranks. R211 isn't to far off. 

Edited by RailRunRob

12 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

In case anyone didn't hear:

There will be 36 1/2 trains for Service, which means 40 ten-car sets and 260 eight car sets. Did the math which meant 4+32.5, which makes 36 1/2 and also means the order was not modified.

Rumor debunked.

That is really bad news for A and C riders. I don't  know how the MTA is going to fix this mess. I just hope they get it right with the r211s. 

3 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

That is really bad news for A and C riders. I don't  know how the MTA is going to fix this mess. I just hope they get it right with the r211s. 

Let's just wait and see what's said tomorrow at the meeting. If I'm not mistaken, we should hear some public info (if not get a clue?) about car assignments pre-L shutdown?

14 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

In case anyone didn't hear:

There will be 36 1/2 trains for Service, which means 40 ten-car sets and 260 eight car sets. Did the math which meant 4+32.5, which makes 36 1/2 and also means the order was not modified.

Rumor debunked.

Any source will say that today. That is true regardless of whether the order has since been modified. Has no effect either for or against the veracity of said rumors.