R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LGA Link N train said:

Married couples like the R32. But here's the MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION. What do you do with the extra B cars?

That's what you use to make the 5-car trains in the first place... You already had 8 5-car sets to start. 260 cars in 65 4-car sets is 130 A cars and 130 B cars. Take 120 B cars and 80 A cars -> 40 more 5-car sets. You have 90 A cars and 10 B cars left. Take 10 A cars and 10 B cars and make 5 4-car sets. Then take the remaining 80 A cars and make 40 2-car sets which can be used for either 8-car or 10-car trains. Now you have:

48 5-car sets

5 4-car sets

40 2-car sets

which can be arranged as

24-32 10-car trains

2.5-12.5 8-car trains

If you want more than 12.5 8-car trains you can just convert fewer trains.

1 hour ago, VIP said:

Great, we have a surplus of 8-car NTT’s! I can see them making a statement and assigning the 8-car sets to the (C) anyway. 

That was the  original plan. Plus, there are not enough r46s to run on both the A and C trains. Therefore It's going to be difficult and not feasible to make the C trains all full length The C might also keep some r160s as well. 

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

2 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

The (C) actually uses 18 trains during the AM Rush.

That is correct, but in the AM rush the A only uses 38 trains, so the total at that time is 56. That C becomes an A for the PM rush, so it is included in the total I listed. I used the PM totals as they are one train greater. 

Edited by Art Vandelay

28 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

A requires 40 trains. C requires 17 trains. That is 57 trains total.
There are 93 and 3/4 trains worth of R46s. 

Yes, there are enough R46s to fully run the A and C. 

Yeah but what are you going to put on the (R)? Once you take the 7 R46s from the F the only ones you can take are from the (R). This goes back to the central dilemma at hand... not enough 600-foot trains without some rearrangement.

23 minutes ago, U-BahnNYC said:

It's pretty easy. Make them into "married pairs" and two together to make a 4-car set(s) for the Eastern Division.

IINM A cars can only be coupled to B cars. Married pairs can't be created of NTT cars. 

17 minutes ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Yeah but what are you going to put on the (R)? Once you take the 7 R46s from the F the only ones you can take are from the (R). This goes back to the central dilemma at hand... not enough 600-foot trains without some rearrangement.

R gets R160s from Coney Island. 

10 hours ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Let's just wait and see what's said tomorrow at the meeting. If I'm not mistaken, we should hear some public info (if not get a clue?) about car assignments pre-L shutdown?

If you mean the January 22, 2018 CPOC meeting, there is no assignment data within, nor is the contract info completely up-to-date.

There are a couple of photos but the closest mention of an assignment is:  "R179 train operating on Jamaica Line (JZ)."

In particular you'll notice (under Project Details) there's no accounting for the contract performance mitigation due MTA for the R-179's huge delays.

FWIW I would suggest such information might still be subject to negotiation and therefore proprietary.

3 hours ago, VIP said:

Great, we have a surplus of 8-car NTT’s! I can see them making a statement and assigning the 8-car sets to the (C) anyway. 

Or they can skip over the (C) (again) and assign the remaining 8-car sets to the (G) . Then thru a few car and yard shuffles, the (A) and (C) gets all R46s and 600 foot trains.

124 cars assigned to the (G) and 136 to the (J) to allow for an appropriate spare factor

Weird story. This morning I saw R179 set 3065-3062 with 3066-3069 on my way to school. I leave early because It's regents week and I'm not taking the regents so I wait for the train at Norwood and BOOM 

I'm currently inside of R179 set 3065-3062/3066-3069

And there's something wrong with the LCD.

Edited by LGA Link N train

14 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

That is correct, but in the AM rush the A only uses 38 trains, so the total at that time is 56. That C becomes an A for the PM rush, so it is included in the total I listed. I used the PM totals as they are one train greater. 

I do believe that some of 4car sets of R179 was modify and changed to 5car sets the ones that wasn't built yet, it makes sense.

1 hour ago, LGA Link N train said:

Weird story. This morning I saw R179 set 3065-3062 with 3066-3069 on my way to school. I leave early because It's regents week and I'm not taking the regents so I wait for the train at Norwood and BOOM 

I'm currently inside of R179 set 3065-3062/3066-3069

And there's something wrong with the LCD.

It's on the (B)(D)?

4 hours ago, JayJay85 said:

I do believe that some of 4car sets of R179 was modify and changed to 5car sets the ones that wasn't built yet, it makes sense.

I made some calculations and this may be the possible outcome of the r179's if the rumors are true. 

5 car sets=18 trains=180 cars

4 car sets=15 trains=120 cars 

Total=                          300 cars  

Those 15 8-car trains plus the 8-car r160s that are currently on the C, J, Z will be enough for the J, Z and possibly the M.

Those 18 10-car trains can go to the A, or  the C or both.

43 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I made some calculations and this may be the possible outcome of the r179's if the rumors are true. 

5 car sets=18 trains=180 cars

4 car sets=15 trains=120 cars 

Total=                          300 cars  

Those 15 8-car trains plus the 8-car r160s that are currently on the C, J, Z will be enough for the J, Z and possibly the M.

Those 18 10-car trains can go to the A, or  the C or both.

It was just confirmed earlier that the rumor was false, but I feel as if the (MTA) should still consider to recouple a couple sets