R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

On 2/14/2018 at 6:02 PM, LGA Link N train said:

I Caught both sets today

This morning, 179 #3061-3058,3090-3093 rolled in as a (J) but it was actually a (Z) . During the ride between Sutphin and 121, the train was like "This is,  Kosciusko Street" later I heard the conductor say "What?" on the loudspeaker. Then by the time it reached 75 St-Elders lane, the announcements regained consciousness. After some time I got off Norwood and headed to school. 

On my way back from school. 179 #3069-3062 came along on the (J) . The announcement was like, this is a Queens bound (J)   train. I was like ....what, but I didn't care too much cause I just wanted to head straight home

I was actually on that set yesterday, Car 3059 , it overran Norwood Avenue by 3 cars.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Did you hear the lady insulting the crap out of the guy who had music on the train?

No there wasn't a guy with music in the first car... 

It was funny to watch people notice that the 8 car marker was right next to their head and then burst out laughing 

2 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

3050-3053 is doing simulated stop testing on the (A) today.

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

The set should be approaching the rockaway line in a little bit. Left Dyckman Street around 3:55 this afternoon.

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

Are they still out now? What time did you catch the set? 

And where is the set at? Is it on 8 Av/CPW, Fulton St, or the Rockaways?

It passed me just now at Howard Beach going northbound.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

11 minutes ago, Calvin said:

So, with more R179s to be in-service on the (J) in the future, are the R42s being removed from NYCT? 

Also, does this involve the (C) to use 1/2 160As and 46s?

My opinon and from what I read on the topic:

I dont expect R42's to be removed until after the Canarsie shutdown, my guess of why is the expansion of fleet requirements. So eventually yes, the R179's will phase out the R42's from NYCT operation.

I also heard that the (C) might lose all it's R160's eventually from an earlier post, but dont quote me on that.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

2 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

MY OPINON:

I dont expect R42's to be removed until after the Canarsie shutdown, my guess is the expansion of fleet requirements. So yes 

I also heard that the (C) might lose all it's R160's, but dont quote me on that, im not sure and we'll just have to see.

Yep the R160s that are on the (C) are just loaners from the (J) and will be going back to ENY once more R179s arrive and displace R32s to 207 St and move R160s back. After that, who knows where the cars will shift, because the (C) was going to be 600'. The question will likely be answered when the 5-car R179s enter service

2 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

MY OPINON:

I dont expect R42's to be removed until after the Canarsie shutdown, my guess is the expansion of fleet requirements. So yes 

I also heard that the (C) might lose all it's R160's, but dont quote me on that, im not sure and we'll just have to see.

If I remember correctly, no rolling stock is being retired until post-Canarsie shutdown. The 50 remaining R42s, as well as all remaining R32s, will be around until after the shutdown, even after the full R179 delivery. However, the R42s will be moved from the (J) - starting closer to the shutdown, the (J)(M)(Z) will have a 100% NTT fleet. This is to improve reliability and speed up the Williamsburg Bridge crossing, as NTTs cross faster than 32s and 42s. (The biggest capacity increase could be had if Transit loosened or removed some of the timer restrictions on the bridge, but that's another story.)

The R160s which currently live on the (C) should be returning to ENY for (J)(M) service . As we know, the potential assignments for 32s during the shutdown have been controversial - they won't be on the (C) (which I think will be all 600-foot trains for the shutdown) or the (J) (see above). As for the handful of 42s, my guess is that they'll just follow the 32s to wherever those end up, but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, officiallyliam said:

If I remember correctly, no rolling stock is being retired until post-Canarsie shutdown. The 50 remaining R42s, as well as all remaining R32s, will be around until after the shutdown, even after the full R179 delivery. However, the R42s will be moved from the (J) - starting closer to the shutdown, the (J)(M)(Z) will have a 100% NTT fleet. This is to improve reliability and speed up the Williamsburg Bridge crossing, as NTTs cross faster than 32s and 42s. (The biggest capacity increase could be had if Transit loosened or removed some of the timer restrictions on the bridge, but that's another story.)

The R160s which currently live on the (C) should be returning to ENY for (J)(M) service . As we know, the potential assignments for 32s during the shutdown have been controversial - they won't be on the (C) (which I think will be all 600-foot trains for the shutdown) or the (J) (see above). As for the handful of 42s, my guess is that they'll just follow the 32s to wherever those end up, but I could be wrong.

Correct, the 42’s will be around through the shutdown. We will have a brief period of time between now and the shutdown with a car surplus. 

About the rolling stock, its rumored that all the R42's will retire after enough R179's come in and right after the myrtle rehab is done (I'll take with a gran of salt since its a rumor) 

The (A) is getting the R32's (It might not get all of them hence the (G) ) but a chunk are staying on the (A) since they have sign changing jobs at 207th st. That pretty much confirms it. The (C) is going 90-100% R46 and the 12 sets of 10 car R179's are looking to be on the (A) especially if they are burn testing them more now. 

Edited by R32 3838