R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Calvin said:

3111 with 3110 now in NYC

Then I suppose 3112-3113 will be coming tomorrow?  That would be weird considering it's usually been the highest numbers first.

35 minutes ago, Dj Hammers said:

Plans are still up in the air and may change regarding exactly which car type(s) will be on the (G) line

I wouldn't be surprised if ultimately they decide to run R160A1s on the (G) for uniformity.  Less work for Coney Island to do.

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

It's been a LONG while since that was the case! Most R44's/46's have been on that line for dinosaur years.

It's long overdue, but if that's the case, what will happen with the (B) getting R32s?  Is the CI/Jamaica swap still happening?  Having mostly 60 foot cars on the (A) implies that the remaining R32s will go there.

Edited by Bosco

5 minutes ago, Bosco said:

I wouldn't be surprised if ultimately they decide to run R160A1s on the (G) for uniformity.  Less work for Coney Island to do.

I second this. Most logical option is to have Coney R160/R68, ENY R143/R160/ 8-car R179, 207th R32/R46 and Pitkin R46/ 10-car R179.

53 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Then I suppose 3112-3113 will be coming tomorrow?  That would be weird considering it's usually been the highest numbers first.

Unless they came in yesterday.

So far, this is my list of delivered cars. Am I missing anything? I haven't really been paying attention too closely.

3010-3019 (10)
3050-3069 (20)
3078-3101 (24)
3110-3113 [4]

Edited by Fan Railer

14 hours ago, Bosco said:

It's long overdue, but if that's the case, what will happen with the (B) getting R32s?  Is the CI/Jamaica swap still happening?  Having mostly 60 foot cars on the (A) implies that the remaining R32s will go there.

Right now they want to make the (C) all R46s first and ENY all new techs when the R179s are coming in. Maybe after that’s complete the CI/Jamaica swap happens 

14 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

Is the (A) going to get any R179s? If yes, when's the most likely time that they would put R179s on the (A)?

Also, what's the best site to follow the rolling stock assignments?

Yes, and it’ll get most if not all 5 car R179 sets, the first set will go in service likely soon or maybe in mid 2018 but there’s no specific date.

All R179’s thatll eventually be on the (A) will be on that line by the time of the Canarsie shutdown.

Website I use for rolling stock: http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/bmt-ind-2018-01-12.htm

Hoped any of this helped.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

4 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Yes, and it’ll get most if not all 5 car R179 sets, it’s likely soon or maybe in mid 2018 but there’s no specific date.

Website I use for rolling stock: http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/bmt-ind-2018-01-12.htm

How many 5-car R179s will there be? How many trains would that equal to?

16 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

How many 5-car R179s will there be? How many trains would that equal to?

24 5 car sets, or roughly 120 individual cars,

for reference, the (A) has a bit above 300 individual cars in service. So R179s definitely are enough to cover a vast majority of the (A) fleet.

Many R46’s are leaving the (A) so the fleet will consist of:

-Roughly Half R179s

-A majority of R32’s from (J) and (C) 

-Little to few R46s

14 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

24 5 car sets, or roughly 120 individual cars,

for reference, the (A) has a bit above 300 individual cars in service. So R179s definitely are enough to cover a vast majority of the (A) fleet

No, the (A) runs 38-39 trains during the peak hours. That is the equivalent of 380-390 60-foot cars. 

12 trains is not a "vast majority" of 38 trains, nor is it even "roughly half", and that's before you even consider the fact that at least 2 of the 12 trains will be out of service at any given time as part of the spare factor.

Edited by Fan Railer

22 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

No, the (A) runs 38-39 trains during the peak hours. That is the equivalent of 380-390 60-foot cars. 

12 trains is not a "vast majority" of 38 trains.

Good point: So only less than or around a 1/3 usually even a 1/4 of the (A) with 60ft cars during peak hours will be composed of 179’s.

Also, Im not sure if the one R68 set on the line will stay, or go to other lines once the 179’s come. This question was probably already answered, so no need to be detailed.

19 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

12 trains is not a "vast majority" of 38 trains, nor is it even "roughly half", and that's before you even consider the fact that at least 2 of the 12 trains will be out of service at any given time as part of the spare factor.

Also keep in mind that the A will only give up about half of the 46s to the C, meaning that the A will still keep a lot of its r46s in addition to the 5 car 179s.

21 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

The (A) will mostly likely have the R32’s as spares since they don’t have to take out a full consist if one car is a “dead car” or performing poorly. I strongly expect no R179’s running overnight on the (A) in its first few months in service. 

1 hour ago, EphraimB said:

So when the R211s come into service, will the (A) only have R179s and R211s? Will the majority of the (A) fleet be R179s or R211s?

It's soon to tell, but I have a feeling that the 5 car r179's will all go to the C once the r211s are delivered. Those 5 car r179's cover most of the C fleet.

23 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It's soon to tell, but I have a feeling that the 5 car r179's will all go to the C once the r211s are delivered. Those 5 car r179's cover most of the C fleet.

So the 5-car R179s will temporarily be on the (A) until the R211s come and when the R211s come to the (A), then the (C) will get the 5-car R179s?

We really don't know where these cars will end up. All we know is that the 211s will replace the 46s. What that entails in terms of individual line assignments remains to be seen. What we do know is that the Queens Blvd and 8th Avenue lines have to use 160s or newer to facilitate CBTC signaling. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

22 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

Plans are still up in the air and may change regarding exactly which car type(s) will be on the (G) line

Not many alternatives in that regard, but the (J)(Z) R-179 contingent is more akin to a fixed quantity than a specific number group.  Cars can always be numerically regrouped (in sequence) later on.

Do you recall the "nonsense" (far from consecutive) initial assignments of the R-142's between :2: and (5) before 2002?

By my count, there are so far 36 of the East New York group delivered (3058-69, 3078-3101).

Pilots 3050-57 still (likely) require a lot of post-production mods before release for burn-in so are not part of this count.

Should be upwards of 20 or so more R-179's to arrive before ENY's allocation fills out.