R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

22 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

Not many alternatives in that regard, but the (J)(Z) R-179 contingent is more akin to a fixed quantity than a specific number group.  Cars can always be numerically regrouped (in sequence) later on.

Do you recall the "nonsense" (far from consecutive) initial assignments of the R-142's between :2: and (5) before 2002?

By my count, there are so far 36 of the East New York group delivered (3058-69, 3078-3101).

Pilots 3050-57 still (likely) require a lot of post-production mods before release for burn-in so are not part of this count.

Should be upwards of 20 or so more R-179's to arrive before ENY's allocation fills out.

There are a few possible car assignments dependent on certain factors. Can’t say much more at this time.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

What mods? I thought they do that on the first pilot set and then they just put the rest of the sets through the normal burn in test process.

The R179 project is such a mess that 3010-3019 and 3050-3057, the first sets delivered, had issues that were resolved when the production sets were delivered.  In particular, 3010-3019 has been a problem child from the get-go.  Half of the set lost power (I forget which half) and was MIA for quite a bit.

This was part of the accelerated delivery schedule: build the first production cars while the pilot cars were testing here, and work out the issues on the fly.  Of course, even that didn't go smoothly knowing Bombardier's recent performance.

On 3/3/2018 at 9:53 PM, Around the Horn said:

Has anyone in the know heard anything about a March 17th debut for the 10 car set or are people taking out of their asses again?

Just wanted to follow up on this... will it be running this weekend or will the foamers have to wait a little longer? :lol:

Simple question for anyone who cares to answer it. What's the difference between the eight and the ten car units besides the obvious? What I'm getting at is that I've ridden various consists of all new equipment since the debut of the R32s but whether the consists were 8, 9, 10 or 11 cars I never made a distinction between the train length. An R179 is just that, to me, no matter how long the train is. Different strokes for different folks I guess ? 

14 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Simple question for anyone who cares to answer it. What's the difference between the eight and the ten car units besides the obvious? What I'm getting at is that I've ridden various consists of all new equipment since the debut of the R32s but whether the consists were 8, 9, 10 or 11 cars I never made a distinction between the train length. An R179 is just that, to me, no matter how long the train is. Different strokes for different folks I guess ? 

OMG! Did I just read a paragraph from you that didn't end in "Carry On?"

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

OMG! Did I just read a paragraph from you that didn't end in "Carry On?"

Yep. ☺. Still waiting for a response from anyone though. There seems to be some anticipation about the five car units and can't fathom why.  Aren't they the same thing as the four cars when they're manufactured ?   I haven't seen or ridden one R179 consist so I figured I'd ask the forum members and the RTO people. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5
Final sentence

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Yep. ☺. Still waiting for a response from anyone though. There seems to be some anticipation about the five car units and can't fathom why.  Aren't they the same thing as the four cars when they're manufactured ?   I haven't seen or ridden one R179 consist so I figured I'd ask the forum members and the RTO people. Carry on.

The anticipation is because they could debut on the (A) a line that hasn't seen new equipment assigned to it since it got one of the SMEE fleets new many years ago, yea the 160s ran on the (A) for couple of weeks in 06 but they transferred them to the (N) and the (A) hasn't seen NTT since.  Railfans are eager to ride the cars on the express runs and Rockaway flats, new cars debuting on a line is always exciting, even if the exact same cars are running on other lines. I'm sure in the early 2000s their was railfans excited about bombardier 142s debuting on the (4) even though the (2) had been using them for couple of years at that point. 

3 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Simple question for anyone who cares to answer it. What's the difference between the eight and the ten car units besides the obvious?

I think it more about an NTT on the (A) more than anything else... If the ten car R179 debuted on the (Q) for example, I doubt people would care as much.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

Seeing these on the (A) will be a big deal, plus they're booting more R46's off the (A) (thats a good thing)

Yes, it’s a good thing. The (A) should have never ever been 75ft in car assignment. The line should have been all R38, (back then) R32, or all All R4OM/R42. 

There's nothing wrong with the 75 footers on the (A) but when you have the line be 90-100% of them then that becomes an issue.  Right now ridership is growing on the (A) and those R46's causes dwell times hence the reason why the (A) runs like shit. With 12 sets of R179's and about 12-16 sets of R32's with the rest being R46's, that's a good balance. I wish they can also get R160B 9803-9942 for the (A) and (C) as well.

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

There's nothing wrong with the 75 footers on the (A) but when you have the line be 90-100% of them then that becomes an issue.  Right now ridership is growing on the (A) and those R46's causes dwell times hence the reason why the (A) runs like shit. 

That’s a factor, but not the entire cause. The many timers along the (A) also slow it down.

13 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Yep. ☺. Still waiting for a response from anyone though. There seems to be some anticipation about the five car units and can't fathom why.  Aren't they the same thing as the four cars when they're manufactured ?   I haven't seen or ridden one R179 consist so I figured I'd ask the forum members and the RTO people.

Thats what I wonder. Are all NTT B cars identical or car 2 of 4 must always be in position 2, ABA sets cant be made in the yard, cant make a 5 car unit from 2 4 car units temporarily. Cant make a ABBBBBBA or ABBBBA (OPTO) unit. My question has to do with APS/APU, compressors, motorized axles, logic boards.

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

There's nothing wrong with the 75 footers on the (A) but when you have the line be 90-100% of them then that becomes an issue.  Right now ridership is growing on the (A) and those R46's causes dwell times hence the reason why the (A) runs like shit. With 12 sets of R179's and about 12-16 sets of R32's with the rest being R46's, that's a good balance. I wish they can also get R160B 9803-9942 for the (A) and (C) as well.

To elorbrate further on what S78 via Hylan said, the (A) is the longest line in the system, merges with two other lines along its run, and has three different branches. So the longer the line, the more irregular it is. It all just depends on how many passengers are at each of the line’s station during the day or night, and how much time the passengers spend getting in and out of the train at each station.

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

To elorbrate further on what S78 via Hylan said, the (A) is the longest line in the system, merges with two other lines along its run, and has three different branches. So the longer the line, the more irregular it is. It all just depends on how many passengers are at each of the line’s station during the day or night, and how much time the passengers spend getting in and out of the train at each station.

Has the MTA considered running all the A trains to both sides of the Rockaways, eliminating the shuttle, and extending the C to Ozone Park?

How about running the B to the Bronx during the weekdays and running the B to 145 during the weekends, but leaving the D as it is?

With those extra r179's and the r211's, this is something that we need to think about. It will increase reliability and decrease confusion on both A and B trains.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Has the MTA considered running all the A trains to both sides of the Rockaways, eliminating the shuttle, and extending the C to Ozone Park?

How about running the B to the Bronx during the weekdays and running the B to 145 during the weekends, but leaving the D as it is?

With those extra r179's and the r211's, this is something that we need to think about. It will increase reliability and decrease confusion on both A and B trains.

Well the problem with the local to lefferts is, of course, merging at Euclid, but it IS doable since they already merge at Hoyt. In the future I can definitely see the (A) running to Rockaway Park, should ridership increase as it is currently.

18 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I think some of it stems from the troubled testing phase for the ten-car set. Both the four-car and five-car sets were delivered around the same time (Nov. 2016) and the former of which are presently in active service on the (J) line, whereas the latter are still idling in a yard. After being sidelined for months and months due to mechanical problems, people here want to see this train in real service and not just testing along the Brighton or Rockaways lines.

4 hours ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Well the problem with the local to lefferts is, of course, merging at Euclid, but it IS doable since they already merge at Hoyt. In the future I can definitely see the (A) running to Rockaway Park, should ridership increase as it is currently.

The (C) shouldn't go to Ozone Park until both (A) and (C) are Fulton Expresses, ideally with the (T) taking over the Fulton Local via an extension of SAS phase 4.

Just because the (A) and (C) merge twice doesn't mean we should add a third bottleneck.