R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

53 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

I think that the reason why no 5-car sets have been delivered yet is because the (J) will be fully NTT for the shutdown. The (A)(B)(C)(G) on the other hand, won't. 

After all 4-car sets are in service on the (J)(Z), that's when production/deliveries of the 5-car sets will most likely start. As of now, no assignments have occured between CI and 207 St. 

I kinda disagree with this because the (A) needs NTT's soon and if the (MTA) needs the R179's now then they could tell Bombardier that they need them ASAP. Of course,  things don't work like that but hey, they'll arrive eventually. Welcome back by the way

Edited by LGA Link N train

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

I kinda disagree with this because the (A) needs NTT's soon and if the (MTA) needs the R179's now then they could tell Bombardier that they need them ASAP. Of course,  things don't work like that but hey, they'll arrive eventually. Welcome back by the way

Transit has been telling Bombardier for years now that we need the 179s ASAP. It's not really a strategy that works.

The (A) doesn't need NTTs any sooner than any other line that lacks them. The 4-car sets are top priority to ensure that East New York is composed solely of new trains as quickly as it can be; the 5-car sets aren't as critical until Jamaica needs to be fully new tech for Queens Blvd CBTC.

6 minutes ago, officiallyliam said:

Transit has been telling Bombardier for years now that we need the 179s ASAP. It's not really a strategy that works.

The (A) doesn't need NTTs any sooner than any other line that lacks them. The 4-car sets are top priority to ensure that East New York is composed solely of new trains as quickly as it can be; the 5-car sets aren't as critical until Jamaica needs to be fully new tech for Queens Blvd CBTC.

Good to know.  

At least we do know that the 5 car r179's will most likely be on the A.

Also,  by the time Queens Blvd becomes CBTC,  the r211s will be in testing/delivery phase. The MTA is still working with Flushing and it's not going to be completed any time soon. 

These are the status of all delivered R179s so far:

In-Service Sets

3058-3061- Assigned to the (J) 

3066-3069- Assigned to the (J)

3090-3093- Assigned to the (J) 

3086-3089- Assigned to the (J) 

3094-3097- Assigned to the (J) 

Testing Sets

3010-3019- Currently testing, working out issues, would potentially be the LAST test train to enter service

3050-3057- Currently testing, working out issues, would enter service on the (J) after

3078-3081- Burn-ins

3082-3085- Burn-ins

3098-3101- Burn-ins

3110-3113- Stored at 207 St, or doing burn-ins

Potential Upcoming Deliveries (4 car sets)

3070-3073

3074-3077

3102-3105

3106-3109

3114-3115

Potential Upcoming Deliveries (5 car sets)

3020-3029 

3030-3039

3040-3049 

Fleet Swaps

Four-car sets arrive

R179 four-car set undergoes testing on the (J) and eventually enters service

An R32/R42 is transferred to 207 St, bumped off the (J), and goes into service on the (A) 

R46 is bumped off the (A) to the (C) 

R160 is bumped off the (C) and goes back to the (J) 

Process repeats over and over until all SMEE's are off the (J), (A) is R32/R46, and (C) is fully R46

(A): R32/R46

(C): R46

(J)(Z): R143/R160/R179

Five-car sets arrive

An R179 five-car set undergoes testing on the (A), and eventually is placed into service

R32 is bumped off from the (A), transferred to Coney Island, likely going to the (B)(G) for revenue service

Process repeats over and over again until the (A) has most, if not all five-car sets. 

(A): R46/R179

(B): R32/R68

(G): R32

Of course, MTA changes assignments, so this isn't final. But so far, no fleet swaps between 207 St and CIY have occured, and there hasn't been a change in the plan. 

I'll also answer the fact that I agree with @officiallyliam that the 4-car sets need to be delivered first. Let's say, although it cannot happen now, that the R179 deliveries were reversed, with 5-car sets arriving first before the 4-car sets. If that were to happen, the 4-car sets won't all arrive before the shutdown, and by the start, you'd have a half NTT/half SMEE (J), which would be a disaster considering it'll be NTT. The (J)(Z) needs to be NTT well before the shutdown, so that if there was let's say, a massive delay, this could be a failsafe, so that the (J) will be NTT, even when deliveries are delayed. 

The (A), on the other hand, won't be affected by the shutdown, unlike the (J)(Z). Yes, it needs newer trains, but that's about it. It's not mandatory. 

One last word before I end my rambling. Sorry for the long post.

And this a word to all those who participated in the R32/R179 speculations. @LGA Link N train, @NoHacksJustKhaks, @subwaycommuter1983, @Jemorie, @CDTA, and many others to name a few. And those who gave me advice, such as @Cait Sith, helped me change my pesky behavior. 

As a railfan, you'd love to see the impossible happen because it's very rare. There are so many rarities out there, like R68 (R) trains, R46 (E) trains, R32 (B) trains, R179 (L) trains, R143 (D) trains, R32 (G) trains, R62 (5) trains, R32 (E) trains, etc, etc. It may look good and visually stunning as a railfan, but on paper, things won't pan out the way you intend to see it. For example, I constantly kept "whining" about how @Dj Hammers would be right that R32s will head for the (B)(G), and many saw my lines of dialogue as ad nauseam complaints. Montague was the main objection, and many kept saying "things will change." I also kept getting roasted in public for supporting it. The list goes on and on. And I eventually realized things could change way before plans are executed. Originally, we thought the (C) was suppose to have the 4-car R179 sets, but it ended up receiving R46s instead. The (A) will still receive the 5-car sets, but we just have to wait and see. Be patient and go outside and enjoy the subway we have now. The current subway system abides by the fact that nothing lasts forever, and will be the same case for the R32s/R42s nearing retirement. Before change comes, experience the past one final time.

That's not saying we should just stop speculating entirely, because I never said that. Personally, I think we should continue to speculate, but at the same time, be patient. 

Even if you jump for the rare subway cosmos, you're still gonna wake up in an R32 (B) train. 

Edited by Coney Island Av

33 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

In-Service Sets

Testing Sets

3010-3019- Currently testing, working out issues, would potentially be the LAST test train to enter service

3050-3057- Currently testing, working out issues, would enter service on the (J) after

3078-3081- Burn-ins

3082-3085- Burn-ins

3098-3101- Burn-ins

3070-3073

3074-3077

3102-3105

3106-3109

3114-3115

3020-3029 

3030-3039

3040-3049 

Fleet Swaps

Four-car sets arrive

An R32/R42 is transferred to 207 St, bumped off the (J), and goes into service on the (A) 

Process repeats over and over until all SMEE's are off the (J), (A) is R32/R46, and (C) is fully R46

Five-car sets arrive

An R179 five-car set undergoes testing on the (A), and eventually is placed into service

R32 is bumped off from the (A), transferred to Coney Island, likely going to the (B)(G) for revenue service

Process repeats over and over again until the (A) has most, if not all five-car sets. 

Of course, MTA changes assignments, so this isn't final. But so far, no fleet swaps between 207 St and CIY have occured, and there hasn't been a change in the plan. 

I'll also answer the fact that I agree with @officiallyliam that the 4-car sets need to be delivered first. Let's say, although it cannot happen now, that the R179 deliveries were reversed, with 5-car sets arriving first before the 4-car sets. If that were to happen, the 4-car sets won't all arrive before the shutdown, and by the start, you'd have a half NTT/half SMEE (J), which would be a disaster considering it'll be NTT. The (J)(Z) needs to be NTT well before the shutdown, so that if there was let's say, a massive delay, this could be a failsafe, so that the (J) will be NTT, even when deliveries are delayed. 

The (A), on the other hand, won't be affected by the shutdown, unlike the (J)(Z). Yes, it needs newer trains, but that's about it. It's not mandatory. 

And this a word to all those who participated in the R32/R179 speculations. @LGA Link N train, @NoHacksJustKhaks, @subwaycommuter1983, @Jemorie, @CDTA, and many others to name a few. And those who gave me advice, such as @Cait Sith, helped me change my pesky behavior. 

As a railfan, you'd love to see the impossible happen because it's very rare. There are so many rarities out there, like R68 (R) trains, R46 (E) trains, R32 (B) trains, R179 (L) trains, R143 (D) trains, R32 (G) trains, R62 (5) trains, R32 (E) trains, etc, etc. It may look good and visually stunning as a railfan, but on paper, things won't pan out the way you intend to see it. For example, I constantly kept "whining" about how @Dj Hammers would be right that R32s will head for the (B)(G), and many saw my lines of dialogue as ad nauseam complaints. Montague was the main objection, and many kept saying "things will change." I also kept getting roasted in public for supporting it. The list goes on and on. And I eventually realized things could change way before plans are executed. Originally, we thought the (C) was suppose to have the 4-car R179 sets, but it ended up receiving R46s instead. The (A) will still receive the 5-car sets, but we just have to wait and see. Be patient and go outside and enjoy the subway we have now. The current subway system abides by the fact that nothing lasts forever, and will be the same case for the R32s/R42s nearing retirement. Before change comes, experience the past one final time.

That's not saying we should just stop speculating entirely, because I never said that. Personally, I think we should continue to speculate, but at the same time, be patient. 

Even if you jump for the rare subway cosmos, you're still gonna wake up in an R32 (B) train. 

Thanks for sharing the information. At least now we have an idea of what to expect over the next few months in terms of r179 deliveries and fleet swaps.

And yes, it's still subject to change based on what the MTA decides. 

2 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

In-Service Sets

Testing Sets

3078-3081- Burn-ins

3082-3085- Burn-ins

3098-3101- Burn-ins

3070-3073

3074-3077

3102-3105

3106-3109

3114-3115

3020-3029 

3030-3039

3040-3049 

Fleet Swaps

Four-car sets arrive

Five-car sets arrive

You never explained where the R32 (C) trains are being displaced to. I think there's still 2 on the line.

Likely as more trains are put into service.

13 hours ago, officiallyliam said:

You're right in that they aren't required as of yet, but having them available will allow for more flexibility with the rest of the B-Division fleet. Regardless of where the five-car sets are assigned, they will increase the overall spare factor and more importantly allow the aging 32s and 42s to rest and not have to require the bulk of them in service all the time.

11 hours ago, EphraimB said:

You never explained where the R32 (C) trains are being displaced to. I think there's still 2 on the line.

Most of the R32s that were on the (A) are back on the (C) for whatever reason, in addition to several R32s transferred back to 207th Street from East New York.

The (A) is keeping the R32's until retirement 

The (A) will have most or all the 10 car R179's with most of the R32's and some R46's and maybe 3 sets of R42's

The (C) will be nothing but R46's 

The (B) will be mostly R68 with a few R46's

The (G) will not be 100% R32's its TBD but will likely be 8 car tech trains with a few R32's 

3 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

The (A) will have most or all the 10 car R179's with most of the R32's and some R46's and maybe 3 sets of R42's

The (G) will not be 100% R32's its TBD but will likely be 8 car tech trains with a few R32's 

Heard something similar. I’m still hearing those R160’s that’s on the (C) are going to the (G)

1 hour ago, VIP said:

Heard something similar. I’m still hearing those R160’s that’s on the (C) are going to the (G)

Not surprised. 

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

It will be weird to see r46s running on the B. I  think some r32s may end up on the B instead. 

If all r179's are delivered before construction begins, and ridership is lower than expected,  most likely the r42s won't be needed at all.

CI is getting all of jamaica's R46's for R160's. The (N) and (W) will probably be 100% R46's with the rest going to the (B) with the R68's. If the (G) does get some R32's the 1 or 2 might pop up on the (B). The (A) will be effected by the (L) shutdown, 75 footers would cause dwell times, That's probably why the majority of the R32's are staying on the (A). Plus with the 12 sets of 10 car R179's along side 12-14 60 foot smees with some R46's on the (A) would be a perfect combo. The (A) gets more ridership than the (B) and spends more outdoor time than the (B). 

8 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

maybe 3 sets of R42's

I'm going to have to quote @subwaycommuter1983 on this one

On 3/25/2018 at 3:46 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

If all r179's are delivered before construction begins and ridership is lower than expected,  then those r42s won't be needed at all.

It makes NO sense whatsoever to keep "maybe 3" R42s just because some think it would be nice to see. I'm going to say this one last time, keeping 3 pieces of junk is a complete waste and won't be needed at all once the surplus cars come in. Period. They're only kept around as a plan C, if even that.

As a railfan, you'd love to see the impossible happen because it's very rare.

I would too, but I KNOW R42s are all but done as soon as the last R179s comes rolling in.

Edited by U-BahnNYC

The first half of the (A) fleet should be 100 R32s and 90 R179s in passenger service + 30 R32s and 30 R179s as spares. The rest of the (A) fleet can still be R46s and the (C) fully R46s like the (R) and (S) Rockaway Park Shuttle.

I hope this really happens.

Edited by Jemorie

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

CI is getting all of jamaica's R46's for R160's. The (N) and (W) will probably be 100% R46's with the rest going to the (B) with the R68's. If the (G) does get some R32's the 1 or 2 might pop up on the (B). The (A) will be effected by the (L) shutdown, 75 footers would cause dwell times, That's probably why the majority of the R32's are staying on the (A). Plus with the 12 sets of 10 car R179's along side 12-14 60 foot smees with some R46's on the (A) would be a perfect combo. The (A) gets more ridership than the (B) and spends more outdoor time than the (B). 

Actually, the (B) spends more time outdoors than the (A) 

The (B) has the outdoor segment from Prospect Park to Brighton Beach (and terminal dwell times), and the Manhattan Bridge outdoor portion. The (B) spends less time in Manhattan than the (A), while the (A) remains underground from 207 St to past Euclid Av, and even though it has the Far-Rockaway branch, the (A) would spend too much time continuously underground while it treks to 207 St, dwells, and comes back. 

As for the Jamaica/Coney Island swap, it really is dependent (time-wise) on whether Queens Blvd CBTC is on schedule. If it is not on schedule, no point in swapping the cars out because if 60-foot cars/R160s are assigned on an as-needed basis to lines with heavy ridership, then the (R) definitely hits the bottom of the barrel and should keep the R46s (with the (N)(W) keeping the R160s for the time being). And if it falls even further behind (especially learning the lessons from the delays in Flushing CBTC), might as well wait for the R211s to arrive and then the R46s wont even have to be moved to another yard to just be there fore 3 months before retirement

1 minute ago, U-BahnNYC said:

I'm going to have to quote @subwaycommuter1983 on this one

It makes NO sense whatsoever to keep "maybe 3" R42s just because some think it would be nice to see. I'm going to say this one last time, keeping 3 pieces of junk is a complete waste and won't be needed at all once the surplus cars come in. Period. They're only kept around as a plan C, if even that.

I would too, but I KNOW R42s are all but done as soon as the last R179s comes rolling in.

Keeping the R42s for a little longer is not a matter of pleasing foamers.  (If MTA decision makers listened to foamers, the R142As would never have left the (6), but I digress).  Even under current conditions, the spare factor for most lines is very low.  Why do you think that one R68 set runs on the (A) in the afternoon?  Because it’s not so people can get pictures.  Every extra set counts, and the MTA learned this after they scrapped many R32s that could’ve been put in the reserve fleet for situations like this.  Plus, with this newest issue with the R179—even if it is fake news—it’s still not likely all R179s will be in service a year from now.

The (A) to far rock with 20 minute layover is over an hour 

3 sets of R42's for service with 2 sets as spares. There's 50 R42's, 3 out of the 5 would be used. Remember the (A) and (B) are 10 cars so if the R42's end up on ether line then 3 sets would be used out of the 5. 

The only reason if they keep the R42's is to increase the spare factor. When the (L) shutsdown, the (A) and (C) will be effected, hence why the (C) is getting full length R46's. 

Its logical to have the R32's on the (A) due to the amount of doors vs an R46. The (A) being 90% R46's isn't cutting it no more plus ridership on the 8th ave and fulton continues to grow. The A being the express and goes further than the (C) gets more ridership. 

The (B) gets less ridership than the (A), its smart for the (B) to keep the 75 footers vs the (A). 

12 sets of 10 car R179's will not help, 20-24 sets of 60 footers would be better. Hence why the R32's are going to the (A) while the (C) gets the R46's. 

The (B) is better off with R46's and R68's.

And the reason for Jamaica going all R160's is because they have to prep for actual CBTC and in the contract the R160's are preferred. CIY would probably get the other half of the R211 base order for the (Q) while pitkin/207th gets the first half to kill off the remaining R32's directly. 

Depending on how many issues the R179's keep on having, the swapping might be delayed anyway.

And seeing the R179's are plagued with issues is the main reason why the R42's might stick around longer.

If the 42's are so bad then why did the TA decide to use them on (M) shuttle which is isolated from the rest of the system? If they were really that bad, I'm sure we would be hearing about how horrible service is on that shuttle due to the 42's constantly breaking down. They could have easily used 32's, if the 42's can run on a 24/7 shuttle cut off from the overhaul shops, I think they can run for another three years or so when the (L) train tube work is complete. If anything, they just dump three sets on the Rock Park rush hour (A) specials if they are that bad :D

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

The first half of the (A) fleet should be 100 R32s and 90 R179s in passenger service + 30 R32s and 30 R179s as spares. The rest of the (A) fleet can still be R46s and the (C) fully R46s like the (R) and (S) Rockaway Park Shuttle.

I hope this really happens.

Or the (A) and (C) can both use the R46s as spares 

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Actually, the (B) spends more time outdoors than the (A) 

The (B) has the outdoor segment from Prospect Park to Brighton Beach (and terminal dwell times), and the Manhattan Bridge outdoor portion. The (B) spends less time in Manhattan than the (A), while the (A) remains underground from 207 St to past Euclid Av, and even though it has the Far-Rockaway branch, the (A) would spend too much time continuously underground while it treks to 207 St, dwells, and comes back. 

As for the Jamaica/Coney Island swap, it really is dependent (time-wise) on whether Queens Blvd CBTC is on schedule. If it is not on schedule, no point in swapping the cars out because if 60-foot cars/R160s are assigned on an as-needed basis to lines with heavy ridership, then the (R) definitely hits the bottom of the barrel and should keep the R46s (with the (N)(W) keeping the R160s for the time being). And if it falls even further behind (especially learning the lessons from the delays in Flushing CBTC), might as well wait for the R211s to arrive and then the R46s wont even have to be moved to another yard to just be there fore 3 months before retirement

Most people commenting here are total hypocrities. They keep whining about how horrible the A is using the 75 footers yet say they would be fine on the N, Q and W when they clearly have much ridership than the A. The Q especially since 2nd Avenue opened, which is why the fat 75 footers will never run on it again. It makes me laugh how they think QBL CBTC will go off without a hitch in recent times many other projects like flushing CBTC, opening of 34th street hudson yards, reopening of cortlandt st and the r179 order were all behind schedule. I rode on QBL recently and barely 10% of the project is done, so R46s to CI will never happen. It's also funny how Jamaica will be 100% R160s yet over the years, Jamaica has been persistently giving its R160s to Coney Island. In fact I think they did it again recently being that i have seen a few r160s on the N Q W with E and F service posters on them. If the ultimate goal was for Jamaica to be all R160s, why didn't they send R46s to CI when the G was transferred there in 2011, when the W was restored, or during last year's state of emergency.

6 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

If the 42's are so bad then why did the TA decide to use them on (M) shuttle which is isolated from the rest of the system? If they were really that bad, I'm sure we would be hearing about how horrible service is on that shuttle due to the 42's constantly breaking down. They could have easily used 32's, if the 42's can run on a 24/7 shuttle cut off from the overhaul shops, I think they can run for another three years or so when the (L) train tube work is complete. If anything, they just dump three sets on the Rock Park rush hour (A) specials if they are that bad :D

Actually from what I heard, the M shuttle does stink because of the R42s and few people ride it because they hate them so much. In fact the R32s were supposed to be used on there, but J riders preferred them more, so r42s were used instead, plus they're actually less prone to breakdowns if they run back and forth a short distance and fresh pond yard has a temporary overhaul shop for them, so his post is nonsensical. 

33 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The R42s are there so that they can run 6-car trains.  The only other fleet that could do that at this point is the R32s, but of course those are needed to help make the (C) full length.

As has been discussed, the MTA is looking to increase their spare factor, even after full (L) service is restored.  Not considering that, I still don’t think the MTA ordered nearly enough R179s and it was a mistake to scale down the project—even with the emergency retirement of the R44s.  At the very least, they should have kept at least one option order of 5-car sets.  If anything, the only good thing about Bombardier dropping the ball is that had they finished the contract on time, we would never have gotten those extra cars and there would be a shortage anyway.

On a side note, I’d be surprised if service levels come 2020 are the same as it is now—the areas served by the (G)(J)(L)(M)(Z) continue to grow.  This is why for the R211s, there are more than enough option cars to replace everything before the R68s, and why the total contract at the moment calls for 1612 cars.  While not confirmed, it is possible that some R211s will be in 4-car sets.

5 minutes ago, FlushingExpress said:

Most people commenting here are total hypocrities. They keep whining about how horrible the A is using the 75 footers yet say they would be fine on the N, Q and W when they clearly have much ridership than the A. The Q especially since 2nd Avenue opened, which is why the fat 75 footers will never run on it again. It makes me laugh how they think QBL CBTC will go off without a hitch in recent times many other projects like flushing CBTC, opening of 34th street hudson yards, reopening of cortlandt st and the r179 order were all behind schedule. I rode on QBL recently and barely 10% of the project is done, so R46s to CI will never happen. It's also funny how Jamaica will be 100% R160s yet over the years, Jamaica has been persistently giving its R160s to Coney Island. In fact I think they did it again recently being that i have seen a few r160s on the N Q W with E and F service posters on them. If the ultimate goal was for Jamaica to be all R160s, why didn't they send R46s to CI when the G was transferred there in 2011, when the W was restored, or during last year's state of emergency.

Just because CBTC is nowheres near to be done doesn't mean they won't swap the fleets sooner.  The last R188 was converted almost two years ago, and yet here we are with still no start date.  Plus, almost all R160s are only CBTC-ready.  This means equipment has to be installed, tested, etc.  It's not as intensive as the R188 project (the R142As were not CBTC-ready), but it will still require time to test and upgrade them.  And while the R211s are expected to start delivery in 2021, it won't be until at least the first option order is complete in 2024 that Jamaica can be 100% NTT without taking in more R160s.  As for the ones that went there recently, a few 9200 sets have been there since last year to accommodate the (W), and with the "Cuomo" trains on the (E), there have been some swaps.  Some Coney Island R160s got the Cuomo treatment, which is why there have been some 9400 sets on the (Q).

Edited by Bosco