R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Yankees4life said:

Leave the (G) alone. All the talk about extending the (G) is stupid. The (L) will still have the shuttle buses around especially Brooklyn as Canarsie residents are also the most screwed.

If you're commuting between Midtown and Canarsie during the shutdown, all you'd have to do is take the (L) to Broadway Junction and transfer there to the (A). So, I wouldn't say you'd be amongst the most "screwed." Not to say that the closure of the 14th Street Tunnels won't come without frustration, but passengers will gradually adapt to their circumstances.

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I seen a 313x set in service today hooked up to a high 312x set, I think two of the cars was 3134 and 3127, never seen that set might before so that might be another 179 set entering service.

I think that set is 3134-3137 and 3122-3125. 

3 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Leave the (G) alone. All the talk about extending the (G) is stupid. The (L) will still have the shuttle buses around especially Brooklyn as Canarsie residents are also the most screwed.

Canarsie will be fine during the shutdown. The (L) will still run to Canarsie.The only thing is that they need to transfer to another train to get to Manhattan. No big deal. There will be a free out of system transfer between the (L) and the (3) during the shutdown, so that is another option to get to Manhattan.

1 hour ago, Vtrain said:

Just can't wait (hopefully) to ride the Brooklyn F train express in 2019 with only 3 tph.

If you want an <F>, go to Jay Street during the PM rush and wait. I can almost guarantee you that within an hour, you’ll be cruising happily through 2-shotsRUs to Church Avenue. 

FYI, sometimes "unrelated" topics in this thread are actually related.

For instance, thanks to the r179's, service can be modified in other lines, even if they are not getting the r179's. The same will happen with the arrival of the r211's.

There is no doubt that the whole r179 experience has taught us lessons in regards to the future of the subway system in NYC.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

15 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

FYI, sometimes "unrelated" topics in this thread are actually related.

For instance, thanks to the r179's, service can be modified in other lines, even if they are not getting the r179's. The same will happen with the arrival of the r211's.

There is no doubt that the whole r179 experience has taught us lessons in regards to the future of the subway system in NYC.

It becomes annoying when everyone goes back and forth about those unrelated topics constantly rehashing their personal proposals. 

Totally off topic but if anyone is interested, Airbus has officially taken over (controlling interest) the C-Series Jet program and has renamed it the Airbus A220. At this point it looks like Bombardier Transportation will become a shadow of it's former self.

Edited by East New York

3 minutes ago, East New York said:

Totally off topic but if anyone is interested, Airbus has officially taken over (controlling interest) the C-Series Jet program and has renamed it the Airbus A220. At this point it looks like Bombardier Transportation will become a shadow of it's former self.

Eh. They’ve still got the Q and the CRJ — both of which they’re looking to double down on. Orders for both have been good this year, and with them making the Q good for 90 pax, I don’t see that changing. 

Also, FWIW, Airbus only owns 51% of the Cseries. BBD still gets $$$, just no stress. 

1 hour ago, East New York said:

I watched this video, which basically explained that the Airbus acquisition helped Bombardier get around a 300% tariff that Boeing got slapped on the C-series.

6 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I watched this video, which basically explained that the Airbus acquisition helped Bombardier get around a 300% tariff that Boeing got slapped on the C-series.

Ironically, after AB bought in, those tarriffs were overturned. 

32 minutes ago, R179 8258 said:

Shouldn’t the R143 be pushed back to the (L) or the (J) still needs them ? 

From what I understand, those R143’s are spares at this point. The (J) is definitely using more R160’s as of late...