R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lance

I'm sorry I was under the impression we gave Kawasaki the R68A's, R142A's, R143's, R160's and the R188's. We need more Bombarider.

Don't forget the M8s for the New Haven Line. These cats want all of the orders, don't they? Maybe if they didn't charge so much more than Bombardier, they could've gotten the order in the first damn place.

What ALKSAW is actually claiming, from what I understand is that, while ordering cars from them may have cost the (MTA) more money than buying them from Bombardier, they would have saved money in the long term by sharing parts between the R179s and the sheer amount of R160s already in the system, as the 2 types wouldn't be so different. I watched the youtube video where the representative of ALKSAW complained to the board during a public hearing, but the CEO said that "the concerns of ALSAW had already been dealt with in a letter sent to them". The point is that, while this issue is debated the R32s and R42s are getting older by the day. It's not that I want them gone, but we should be realistic, the have to go.. That's why my opinion is this needs to be dealt with quickly.

The ALSKAW claim, which is true and public, was that one of the MTA executives heavily involved in the awarding of the contract was offered, and accepted a job at Bombardier during the process of awarding the order.

They're actually claiming both, but what I said is what they claimed in the public hearing.

It's all a bunch of business crap. In the end, Bombardier is still going to get the order. Alstom is just a sore loser (ie, Eurostar contract for Siemens Velaros).

The thing I'd like to add, is that the only ones who aren't benefitting from the situation are the riders who have to ride the old cars. It's not that the cars are terrible. It's just that the order should go through. Bombardier was the cheapest and the breach of trust issue has been resolved from what I have understood. Now, if the (MTA) had decided that ALKSAW would have benefitted them financially in the long term, then good for them, but they didn't. They don't have to change the way they do their business just to benefit a joint venture that has already won a gigantic order from them. The (MTA) could also make sure that the R179s share a few parts with the R142s, since they're built by the same manufacturer. I know they're in different divisions, but they can still do it.

P.S. From a raifan's perspective the R179s should be built by Bombardier to add diversity to the system, but that's least of my concerns. The main thing is that the order should move as soon as possible.

What ALKSAW is actually claiming, from what I understand is that, while ordering cars from them may have cost the (MTA) more money than buying them from Bombardier, they would have saved money in the long term by sharing parts between the R179s and the sheer amount of R160s already in the system, as the 2 types wouldn't be so different. I watched the youtube video where the representative of ALKSAW complained to the board during a public hearing, but the CEO said that "the concerns of ALSAW had already been dealt with in a letter sent to them". The point is that, while this issue is debated the R32s and R42s are getting older by the day. It's not that I want them gone, but we should be realistic, the have to go.. That's why my opinion is this needs to be dealt with quickly.

The ALSKAW claim, which is true and public, was that one of the MTA executives heavily involved in the awarding of the contract was offered, and accepted a job at Bombardier during the process of awarding the order.

That may very well be true, but it's not illegal. The way the industry operates these days you have people looking for oportunities at other companies daily. No matter who went to work where, Bombardier won the order fair and square. Kawasaki has plenty of MTA business right now. Everyone knows what the maintenance costs will be. Obviously it would be less if the contract was awarded to Kawasaki, but because of the price Bombardier quotes, it would be more cost effective over all to go with them either way you look at it. This includes long term as well.

After the formal hearings, I'm pretty it will still going to go to Bombardier, as it should. I love Kawasaki cars, my favorite in the fleet right now actually. But it's like really??? I could understand if it were a few dollars difference. Maintenance was one of the main factors in the award of the contract.

It's not going to kawasaki, which is why the contract was put on hold, kawasaki threw a fit. and what the hell are ya'll talking about. after 2009, everything went downhill. all these NTT's suck ass, they fail on spot numerous times. -_-, People who like NTT don't know nothing about real equipment, People who like what MTA is doing don't know anything about a REAL Transit system, they ruined everything.

It's not going to kawasaki, which is why the contract was put on hold, kawasaki threw a fit. and what the hell are ya'll talking about. after 2009, everything went downhill. all these NTT's suck ass, they fail on spot numerous times. -_-, People who like NTT don't know nothing about real equipment, People who like what MTA is doing don't know anything about a REAL Transit system, they ruined everything.

And yet they have the lowest MBDF of any fleet in the system.

As for 'real equipment': the MTA doesn't cater to foamers. You want some old cars that are about to fall apart, go to a transit museum. Let the MTA provide the equipment that works best for its passengers.

And yet they have the lowest MBDF of any fleet in the system.

As for 'real equipment': the MTA doesn't cater to foamers. You want some old cars that are about to fall apart, go to a transit museum. Let the MTA provide the equipment that works best for its passengers.

Im not trying to be an ass but they do break down, in fact an hour ago an R160 Brokedown at Canal st on the (E), the reason why the R160's run so good is because of the warranty, once thats up, the Jamaica ones are gonna drop like flies, the CI ones are alright they take care of theres, the ENY ones are the best out of all of them, they run good

Im not trying to be an ass but they do break down, in fact an hour ago an R160 Brokedown at Canal st on the (E), the reason why the R160's run so good is because of the warranty, once thats up, the Jamaica ones are gonna drop like flies, the CI ones are alright they take care of theres, the ENY ones are the best out of all of them, they run good

The R160s are out of warranty now.