R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I saw 5 R42s, 2 R179s, 2 R160s and 1 R32 at Fulton Street this morning...

In that case then, sound the warning bell that everyone gotta take the last footage of the R32 J/Z trains.

6 hours ago, mine248 said:

In that case then, sound the warning bell that everyone gotta take the last footage of the R32 J/Z trains.

Done that just a few weeks ago before June ended. The R32's removal from the (J) and (Z) onto other lines for Canarsie tunnel shutdown is signaling that the world's oldest subway car is soon meeting it's end. 

2 hours ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

Done that just a few weeks ago before June ended. The R32's removal from the (J) and (Z) onto other lines for Canarsie tunnel shutdown is signaling that the world's oldest subway car is soon meeting it's end. 

Just because they're leaving the elevated bus -- I mean (J) line -- doesn't mean they're being retired. It has been confirmed time and again that they're staying until the 211s. 

In other news, the 179s *still* don't show on countdown clocks. Maybe time to fix that? (Though I will say foaming them is greatly facilitated by this fact -- I just look for the 20-minute service gaps and intercept. When it's not the (J) train being the (J) train, it's an R179!)

2 hours ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

The r42's are retiring first. Even though there is a tentative plan to preserve them, I seriously doubt that they will run at all during the shutdown, especially if all continues to go well with the delivery of the r179's.

56 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Just because they're leaving the elevated bus -- I mean (J) line -- doesn't mean they're being retired. It has been confirmed time and again that they're staying until the 211s. 

Confirmed by who??

There are tentative plans to preserve at least some of the r32's. The MTA has not confirmed the number of cars that will be preserved.

The only information that is confirmed by the MTA is:

1. Full length (C) and (G) trains.

2. 5 extra trains on the (M).

The plans are the (B) gets all 50 R42's and a portion of R32's.

The (G) gets a portion of R32's that are in 8 car trains to run alongside 8 car tech. Trains.

The (A) keeps some R32's to run alongside the R179's and R46's.

They'll run 30-40  out of the 50 R42 cars, its not a big deal because some of the (B) line are put ins from bedford park.

33 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Confirmed by who??

There are tentative plans to preserve at least some of the r32's. The MTA has not confirmed the number of cars that will be preserved.

The only information that is confirmed by the MTA is:

1. Full length (C) and (G) trains.

2. 5 extra trains on the (M).

Dj Hammers, Union Tpk, myself, the news, the MTA budget (p. 387)...

The 32s are being preserved to the 211 delivery simply because the B div won't have enough cars for service+spares without them -- especially given the increases above. Remember that right now we are in a car shortage, so whatever math you may have done with current fleet requirements doesn't account for the fact that almost all lines are short. 

Edited by RR503

49 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

The plans are the (B) gets all 50 R42's and a portion of R32's.

The (G) gets a portion of R32's that are in 8 car trains to run alongside 8 car tech. Trains.

The (A) keeps some R32's to run alongside the R179's and R46's.

They'll run 30-40  out of the 50 R42 cars, its not a big deal because some of the (B) line are put ins from bedford park.

FYI before people start fighting:

Whenever there's issues with the (B)(D), southbound (B) trains are rerouted on the (F) either to 2nd avenue or Coney island. Northbound (B) trains are rerouted on the (Q) to 96th street or on the (A) from w 4th to 59th Street. The (B) doesn't use the Montague tunnel. 

Therefore the r42's and r32's are a good fit for the (B).

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

26 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Dj Hammers, Union Tpk, myself, the news, the MTA budget (p. 387)...

The 32s are being preserved to the 211 delivery simply because the B div won't have enough cars for service+spares without them -- especially given the increases above. Remember that right now we are in a car shortage, so whatever math you may have done with current fleet requirements doesn't account for the fact that almost all lines are short. 

With The early retirement of the R44’s, & MTA being scrap-happy with the R40M/R42’s led to car shortage. The R160 orders was enough until the (L) needed more cars and the (M) serving 6th Avenue.  So the amount of R32’s that were spared in 2009 wasn’t enough... And with this R179 order, it seems like they’ve had not learned their lesson. 

22 minutes ago, VIP said:

With The early retirement of the R44’s, & MTA being scrap-happy with the R40M/R42’s led to car shortage. The R160 orders was enough until the (L) needed more cars and the (M) serving 6th Avenue.  So the amount of R32’s that were spared in 2009 wasn’t enough... And with this R179 order, it seems like they’ve had not learned their lesson. 

I would not be surprised if the recession and hurricane Sandy contributed to the MTA 's decision of not ordering enough r179's, especially 10 car r179's.

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

FYI before people start fighting:

Whenever there's issues with the (B)(D), southbound (B) trains are rerouted on the (F) either to 2nd avenue or Coney island. Northbound (B) trains are rerouted on the (Q) to 96th street or on the (A) from w 4th to 59th Street. The (B) doesn't use the Montague tunnel. 

Therefore the r42's and r32's are a good fit for the (B).

Tbh I almost never heard of the (B) / (D) via Montague. It was always that service pattern to 96 St since the line opened.

17 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Tbh I almost never heard of the (B) / (D) via Montague. It was always that service pattern to 96 St since the line opened.

They actually had the (D) once go to Whitehall due to Fastrack on the 6th Ave line. 

17 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

(B)/ (D) to Whitehall was the standard only when the (W) was on hiatus and the middle track lay unused.

Same with the (M) . Back when there was a problem with 6th Avenue or 53rd St they would send an (M) down Broadway to either Whitehall St or Bay Ridge.

2 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

According to the person who posted the following video in YouTube 

Published on Jul 18, 2018

"Note: This October, MTA NYC Subway will retired all the R32 Subway Cars and it will be replaced by the new R179 Subway Cars".

Thoughts???

Thoughts???

That’s old news that failed to survive the changing times. The MTA will be retaining the R32s until at least the end of the Canarise Tube shutdown. 

2 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

According to the person who posted the following video in YouTube 

Published on Jul 18, 2018

"Note: This October, MTA NYC Subway will retired all the R32 Subway Cars and it will be replaced by the new R179 Subway Cars".

Thoughts???

Thoughts???

The first video that fanner is simply misinformed...

Second video just a Yard employee trolling messing with the signs, no biggie.