• Created
  • Last Reply

After being gone for a week, I should post another update:

R179 Status

3010-3019: At Bombardier for modifications

3074-3077: Burn-in testing on the (J) 

3126-3129: Burn-in testing on the (J) 

3130-3133: Arriving soon

3050-3057, 3058-3065, 3066-3069, 3078-3081, 3082-3085, 3086-3089, 3090-3093, 3094-3097, 3098-3101, 3102-3105, 3106-3109, 3110-3113, 3114-3117, 3118-3121, 3122-3125, 3134-3137: All in service on the (J)(Z) 

Notes:

-We'll have about ten R179s in service by the end of this month.

-The R32s are rapidly dwindling on the (J), to the point where they're a minority. For example, I only saw 1-3 of them in service during rush hours.

-ENY is gonna become 100% NTT by fall at the current rate. 

-3138-3141 should be arriving soon as well.

-The numbering scheme for the four-car sets seems to be 3050-3245, meaning that's about 24 eight-car trains. 

-3070-3073 are still missing, but would potentially arrive soon as 3074-3077 arrived not too long ago. 

8 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

A thing I have noticed is that the R179's have new programs that aren't present in the current R160 AAS system, such as the (C) to 59th St and the (G) to Queens Plaza.

The R160s should catch up with the programs later on—like the 168th St/Manhattan program. The R179s had them first, but after the (C) line started receiving the R46s, the R160s had that same programming.  

Edited by mine248
C bullet edit

10 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

A thing I have noticed is that the R179's have new programs that aren't present in the current R160 AAS system, such as the (C) to 59th St and the (G) to Queens Plaza.

Do we really know if these options aren't available on the 160s? After all, how often does the (C) terminate at 59 St-Columbus Circle or the (G) uses 160s in the first place, much less run to Queens Plaza?

42 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

There was only one signed up as an (M). Saw it pass by a couple times today while I went to the Myrtle Branch

Was 3084 in The consist? 3084 was a (M) both ways, but the conductor called it a “(J) or (M)“ or “(J)”. 

Just got some R179 (M) train footage! I'll be staggering the release of these videos, so that nobody roasts about me spamming too many videos at once.

Comment to me if I need to improve my videotaking skills!

Edited by mine248

I saw (J) to Bway Jct, (J) to Crescent, (J) skip stop to Jamaica Center (while also being Jamaica local) (!), (M) to Broad, and “please listen for train crew announcements.” 

All I can say is I hope to god that the new Chief Customer Officer is whooping *someone’s* ass right now. 

16 minutes ago, RR503 said:

I saw (J) to Bway Jct, (J) to Crescent, (J) skip stop to Jamaica Center (while also being Jamaica local) (!), (M) to Broad, and “please listen for train crew announcements.”

Yeah that one exists. I had a (Z) conductor change from the (correct) express program to that a while ago and then he did manual announcements over it all along the Nassau Street line and confused every one...

28210460787_f8d6be8e6d_b.jpg

16 minutes ago, RR503 said:

All I can say is I hope to god that the new Chief Customer Officer is whooping *someone’s* ass right now. 

The whole situation could have been avoided if they simply made a (J) to Metropolitan program instead of some of the ridiculous programs in there. (I'm looking at you (A) to Aqueduct Racetrack and (D) to Far Rockaway)

Edited by Around the Horn

7 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Yeah that one exists. I had a (Z) conductor change from the (correct) express program to that a while ago and then he did manual announcements over it all along the Nassau Street line and confused every one...

28210460787_f8d6be8e6d_b.jpg

The whole situation could have been avoided if they simply made a (J) to Metropolitan program instead of some of the ridiculous programs in there. (I'm looking at you (A) to Aqueduct Racetrack and (D) to Far Rockaway)

Really? Did that really happen? I’m O O F E D  now

7 hours ago, RR503 said:

They should’ve said that there were no (J) service south of Crescent, then say special (M) service between Metro and Broad since the NTTs don’t have (J) to Metro (but still keep the J frequency, length, and rolling stock. Wait....(M) to Broad in the wrong direction??? !!! (Mine said (M) last stop downtown)

4 hours ago, mine248 said:

They should’ve said that there were no (J) service south of Crescent, then say special (M) service between Metro and Broad since the NTTs don’t have (J) to Metro (but still keep the J frequency, length, and rolling stock. Wait....(M) to Broad in the wrong direction??? !!! (Mine said (M) last stop downtown)

I mean what they *should* have done was terminated at Chauncey/Alabama and relayed on the respective yard leads (or better yet, run through the yard) but that’s too much logic for the MTA...

7 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Are they allowed to run passenger trains through the yard?

I heard that during junction reconstruction around E180, they used Unionport to maintain through service, so I’m gonna go with yes. 

Maybe one of our RTO members can elucidate... 

5 hours ago, RR503 said:

I heard that during junction reconstruction around E180, they used Unionport to maintain through service, so I’m gonna go with yes. 

Maybe one of our RTO members can elucidate... 

That's correct.  There's one track,  22 IIRC, that runs through the Unionport yard and connects East 180th Street station with the Morris Park station. I've also seen a (1) train in service traveling s/b from 145th through the 137th Street yard. It's rare but not impossible.  Carry on. 

9 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Exactly! Wouldn’t it have just been easier to do it this way? Just have posters from Myrtle to Broad stating that (M) trains replace the (J) between Myrtle and Broad. 

Yes, it would have made more sense.

Were there other NTT car sets other than the r179's running on the (J) this weekend?? 

If yes, did they have the same announcement issues as the r179's.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Yes, it would have made more sense.

Were there other NTT car sets other than the r179's running on the (J) this weekend?? 

If yes, did they have the same announcement issues as the r179's.

Yes (R143s, R160s) and yes. (Ironically, the old tech cars had the same issue.)