R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who the hell cares how it looks? Its a car sheeh. The R179 is not suppose to be a major upgrade. Thats being saved for the R211 based on rumors. Don't even foam over the interior, its expected to be similar to the R160s. Anyways, all I can say is all you new tech haters is don't waste your time arguing over old vs new, go grab your pixs and ride of the older cars before they go byebye (If most will do), Even IF its on a line you don't like.

Edited by mark1447

Dat truck...

LOL it gets better. One, it only has 6 cars. and 2, notice the underbody of the first car..... Basically an R160 body rendering slapped onto a modified R142/R160 underbelly and trucks. If you look closely at the first box, you'll notice that it is the Alstom Onix inverter box, with the Alstom label on it. LOL. just thought that would be funny to point out.

EDIT: I'm also pretty sure the last three cars are actual R143/R160 cars :P

Edited by Fan Railer

I think we should all stop speculating and wait until how things pan out in the next 2 years, it only will cause more confusion to the foamers who want the latest in news and updates [no offense]. For now, we know the R-179's will have a like look as the R-143/R-160's, the interior is not shown yet, nor is a mock-up available, but sources [rumors] say that the R-179's will be a R-143/R-160 mutt, however we still should wait and see.

Either ways, good news that Bombardier and North County still retains the contract and bid, this is awesome! Can't wait!

Guest Lance

If those are mockups made by someone here, how about using my colored bullets (White letter; multicolor, in this case, blue, circle!) Let's put the idea out there!

The image up thread, quoted thrice, is from Bombardier Transportation, not from one of us here.

Are there any (B)(E)(T)(A) Photos?

No.

I think they will. The only reason the R160As had Kawasaki's trucks was because Alstom was working with them. I doubt that'll happen here. As weird as that'll look.

Well, at least there will be a visual giveaway when you're trying to identify the car from a distance.

when these trains come in don't expect them to replace everything, remember these will also push out the R44's that are in SI (R46's will head over to SI 64 of them) and these are also for service expansion

I agree. While the R179s are to replace the R32s and R42s, the SAS will open in 2016 (assuming there are no delays that is). Extra cars will be needed for that and I won't be too shocked if the R211 order is increased for extra replacement cars assuming the R179s aren't able to fully replace the R32s (no need for me to mention R42s since there is only 48 of them left in active service).

I agree. While the R179s are to replace the R32s and R42s, the SAS will open in 2016 (assuming there are no delays that is). Extra cars will be needed for that and I won't be too shocked if the R211 order is increased for extra replacement cars assuming the R179s aren't able to fully replace the R32s (no need for me to mention R42s since there is only 48 of them left in active service).

Yep my point taken, for One, the R46's 64 of them will go to SI 6170 and Up, that would be like 80 60 footers, then you have the 2nd ave subway that would be an additional 7-8 train sets, then you have the return of the (W) so add all that up and see what this order is gonna replace, the R42's won't most likely be here when the r179's come, to me this is gonna be another R143 like order

Edited by R32 3838

The thing to do in lieu of SAS is to order extra 179's right away, to replace all the 32's and 42's, and then some 46's would be put into storage until the additional cars are needed, so you would not need to wait for the 211's. Edited by Eric B