R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

21 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Given how problematic they’ve been, it’s best to keep them on the (J)(Z). The last thing we need to do is to run them on one of the busiest lines while CBTC fails every now and then.

Agreed, though I suspect in the future, they might have to if the 5-car sets stay on the (A). Since 8th Av. is projected to be converted to CBTC, by then, the (A) should be more crowded. Hopefully the MTA can patch out the problems with the trains as the month's go by, the biggest problem im currently seeing with them is incorrect or no signage at all (not that much different from the R46's actually!). 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Given how problematic they are, it’s best to keep them on the (J)(Z). The last thing we need to do is to run them on one of the busiest lines while CBTC fails every now and then.

On the flipside, now it's going to be another expense to retrofit the cars with CBTC equipment when it really should've been done at the onset, even if the cars were not going to be assigned to the (L). 8th Avenue CBTC was always on the horizon and forgiving the initial belief that the bulk of the four-car sets would run on the (C) line, it's always been a strong possibility that these cars would run on a CBTC line at some point in their lives. Then again, since Transit keeps using different CBTC systems on each line, it might actually make sense to wait rather than install something incompatible with the signal system.

2 hours ago, Lance said:

On the flipside, now it's going to be another expense to retrofit the cars with CBTC equipment when it really should've been done at the onset, even if the cars were not going to be assigned to the (L). 8th Avenue CBTC was always on the horizon and forgiving the initial belief that the bulk of the four-car sets would run on the (C) line, it's always been a strong possibility that these cars would run on a CBTC line at some point in their lives. Then again, since Transit keeps using different CBTC systems on each line, it might actually make sense to wait rather than install something incompatible with the signal system.

I'd say that this is exactly why the TA isn't spec'ing the cars to be installed with CBTC equipment from the builder. The (L) and (7) each use their own CBTC systems due to the isolated nature of their lines. There is a spec for mainline CBTC, and if I'm not mistaken, it's being retrofitted onto the R160s assigned to Jamaica now, but the R179's spec was frozen well before the main line CBTC project details were finalized. So I'd surmise that the R211s would be the first car class that may arrive with on-board CBTC equipment installed by the manufacturer.

1 hour ago, Fan Railer said:

I'd say that this is exactly why the TA isn't spec'ing the cars to be installed with CBTC equipment from the builder. The (L) and (7) each use their own CBTC systems due to the isolated nature of their lines. There is a spec for mainline CBTC, and if I'm not mistaken, it's being retrofitted onto the R160s assigned to Jamaica now, but the R179's spec was frozen well before the main line CBTC project details were finalized. So I'd surmise that the R211s would be the first car class that may arrive with on-board CBTC equipment installed by the manufacturer.

Yep. Some R211s are for Eighth Avenue.

22 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Has anyone else noticed signing up an R179 as an (M) brings up the (N) on the FIND screen?

11 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Not always. There's only one car that does that.

I think we're going to see a bunch of these little glitches (like the one mentioned above, or the one the plays the (A) / (C)  version of "the next stop is" / "this is" for all lines) until at least all cars are delivered and there are no technical faults with the cars.

2 hours ago, lara8710 said:

The R179s on the (J) line look gorgeous but the FIND screens in their cabins look terrible! Overly pixelated appearance and poorly sized fonts <_<

Blame it on their poor software to hardware optimization on the train car! The screen is bigger, but they never changed the code to fix that issue. It’s kinda like if you use a Windows laptop and enable scaling—some stuff won’t scale correctly. 

30 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

3018 and 3019 are reportedly coming in tonight, spotted on the NJ side of the GWB 

17 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Awesome news!! In a matter of days or weeks we'll see this set finally running on the (A).

This calls for a celebration! That set has been missing for months, ever since April, and we can finally put an end to all the speculation on the whereabouts of the five-car sets!!

This means that 3016 and 3017 are coming in tomorrow, and 3015 is coming in on Saturday! 

The (A) is finally gonna get newer cars!!!! 

And this calls for a MAJOR, MAJOR UPDATE!!!

3010-3014: At Bombardier, soon going back to NYC 

3015-3019: On its way back to NYC after being missing for over four months

3050-3057, 3058-3065, 3066-3069, 3074-3077, 3078-3081, 3082-3085, 3086-3089, 3090-3093, 3094-3097, 3098-3101, 3102-3105, 3106-3109, 3110-3113, 3114-3117, 3118-3121, 3122-3125, 3126-3129, 3134-3137: All in service on the (J)(Z) 

3130-3133, 3138-3141: To enter service very very soon, if they haven't already

3142-3145, 3146-3149: Testing in the Rockaways

Also, next week will mark over two years since the first R179 car, 3014, was delivered to NYC! 

44 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

A quarter of a century in the making! I wasn't even alive when the R110B's became the NTT test trains to hit the B division...

img_108098.jpg

Courtesy of John Barnes

The R160's came shortly afterward, such a shame these never lasted on the line for more than a few months...

img_54365.jpg

Courtesy of Chris M.

Needless to say, im stoked. The (A) deserves newer cars after all these years and hopefully, this time, they'll finally be in regular revenue service! It'll be nice to see an NTT train operating in the Rockaway's for the first time in my life. Im sure they'll be issues (and lots of them) but hopefully the R179's serve the route well 😁.

25 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

A quarter of a century in the making! I wasn't even alive when the R110B's became the NTT test trains to hit the B division...

img_108098.jpg

Courtesy of John Barnes

The R160's came shortly afterward, such a shame these never lasted on the line for more than a few months...

img_54365.jpg

Courtesy of Chris M.

Needless to say, im stoked. The (A) deserves newer cars after all these years and hopefully, this time, they'll finally be in regular revenue service! It'll be nice to see an NTT train operating in the Rockaway's for the first time in my life. Im sure they'll be issues (and lots of them) but hopefully the R179's serve the route well 😁.

100% agree.

I got to ride both r110's (A and B divisions) in the 90's and honestly today's NTT's are much better.

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

This calls for a celebration! That set has been missing for months, ever since April, and we can finally put an end to all the speculation on the whereabouts of the five-car sets!!

This means that 3016 and 3017 are coming in tomorrow, and 3015 is coming in on Saturday! 

And we can soon get to see where all the fleets re-arrange to after half a year of speculation, and also this marks the beginning of the end for the R179 delieveries!  

None of this is correct whatsoever.... It was never a mystery where the cars went, and your delivery schedule is no where near accurate.

4 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

None of this is correct whatsoever.... It was never a mystery where the cars went, and your delivery schedule is no where near accurate.

Two of the 10 car is being delivered tonight. Hopefully, the remainder cars can be delivered between tomorrow and next week. Let's see what happens.

5 minutes ago, KK 6 Ave Local said:

I meant the production delays prior to deliveries.

Obviously it was horrible to put up with, but nobody can change that. If anything, Bombardier is promising extra 5-car sets for the atrocious delays. And they are coming in steadily now... 

And this calls for a MAJOR, MAJOR UPDATE!!!

3010-3014: At Bombardier, soon going back to NYC 

3015-3019: On its way back to NYC after being missing for over four months

3050-3057, 3058-3065, 3066-3069, 3074-3077, 3078-3081, 3082-3085, 3086-3089, 3090-3093, 3094-3097, 3098-3101, 3102-3105, 3106-3109, 3110-3113, 3114-3117, 3118-3121, 3122-3125, 3126-3129, 3134-3137: All in service on the (J)(Z) 

3130-3133, 3138-3141: To enter service very very soon, if they haven't already

3142-3145, 3146-3149: Testing in the Rockaways

Also, next week will mark over two years since the first R179 car, 3014, was delivered to NYC! 

14 4-car sets soon and 2 5-car sets soon... Nice!

Edited by KK 6 Ave Local