R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bracamonte said:

I've seen videos of an R179 set on the (M) from months ago, but only on the weekend shuttle. How come they didn't go via 6th Avenue and Queens Blvd?

That was as part of a GO in July 2018 where (J) trains ran between Broad and Myrtle, then via the (M) to Metro and between Cresent and Jamaica Center. There wasn’t a (J) to Metro program on the NTT at that time, so some conductors had the (J) trains be signed up as (M) trains. That’s how there was R179 (M) trains. (Some conductors signed their trains up as some random (J) program as well, so it was a hellish GO in terms of communication to the point that SMEEs had to be used to provide proper signage on the trains. I think this issue was solved in August when Sarah Meyers made the NTT programmers make a (J) to/from Metro program, as well as paper signs just in case the electronic signs didn’t go well.)

On 10/6/2018 at 7:20 PM, Around the Horn said:
On 10/6/2018 at 6:56 AM, m2fwannabe said:

A list of the linkages is floating around and they show exactly as above as illogical as it may seem.

Can you post this list here?

3010-3049 and 3246-3325, 120 cars, all in 5-car sets.

The few R-110B's that are left will remain un-erased.

9 hours ago, gravescend179 said:

I saw 3015-3019 bypassing Hoyt-Schermerhorn towards Manhattan Thursday night 

Is it just my imagination or have r179 deliveries slowed down?? and I'm really concerned about the 10 car trains.

BTW , this article gives a clear explanations of the mess in the MTA and all due to internal bureaucracy. The sad part is the way the MTA wants to punish off peak commuters who pay the same fare as those who ride the trains during rush hour.

Keep in mind that the job market is changing and 9 to 5 jobs are becoming less common and there are more nights and weekend jobs in the job market than before. As a result, ridership is slowly decreasing during rush hour, but is increasing during off peak. Of course the MTA isn't paying attention to this.

This is the link to the article:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/09/nyregion/subway-crisis-mta-decisions-signals-rules.html

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Is it just my imagination or have r179 deliveries slowed down?? and I'm really concerned about the 10 car trains.

BTW , this article gives a clear explanations of the mess in the MTA and all due to internal bureaucracy. The sad part is the way the MTA wants to punish off peak commuters who pay the same fare as those who ride the trains during rush hour.

Keep in mind that the job market is changing and 9 to 5 jobs are becoming less common and there are more nights and weekend jobs in the job market than before. As a result, ridership is slowly decreasing during rush hour, but is increasing during off peak. Of course the MTA isn't paying attention to this.

This is the link to the article:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/09/nyregion/subway-crisis-mta-decisions-signals-rules.html

honestly to me , it’s like there’s a new R179 set everyday , I live down the block from the (J) line and all of my regular travels are up and down so all I see is R179’s

4 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Thanks for sharing the information. These 236 cars pretty much represents all the 8 car r179's and some of the 10 car r179's.

Also, there  are rumors circulating in YouTube about the A and C sharing the 10 car r179's, the A getting a few r160's from the NQW due to CBTC, and the r42's being retired by the end of 2019. This is unconfirmed information that may or may not happen. Let's see what happens and let's see what's MTA's final decision in regards to car assignments for next year and beyond.  

Just a heads up for those that don't know, there's a permanent R68A (Q) that runs during rush hours. 

With the (E)(F) using Coney Island sets and R68As popping up on the (Q) seems to point that some sort of swapping has already begun. The R68As weren't really used on the (Q) between the opening of SAS and now, but now it's happening more and more. 

And Youtube is not a reliable source. Some rumors can be completely wrong/inaccurate, while others can be misheard. For example, one person who I will not name said that R68As will never run on the (Q) again. And guess what, the person was completely wrong, and it happened! Don't trust anyone in regards to car assignments if they don't have any well-supported info. 

Edited by Coney Island Av

54 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Just a heads up for those that don't know, there's a permanent R68A (Q) that runs during rush hours. 

With the (E)(F) using Coney Island sets and R68As popping up on the (Q) seems to point that some sort of swapping has already begun. The R68As weren't really used on the (Q) between the opening of SAS and now, but now it's happening more and more.

It's one set from the (B) that does a couple round trips. By that logic the R46 (Q) in the morning is also a swap

8 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

It's one set from the (B) that does a couple round trips. By that logic the R46 (Q) in the morning is also a swap

If that's the case, then this means bad news for B train riders, especially in the Bronx, who are already experiencing delays and now the MTA is reducing service on that line???

The MTA needs to do some serious revisions on the B/D in the Bronx.

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

And Youtube is not a reliable source. Some rumors can be completely wrong/inaccurate, while others can be misheard. For example, one person who I will not name said that R68As will never run on the (Q) again. And guess what, the person was completely wrong, and it happened! Don't trust anyone in regards to car assignments if they don't have any well-supported info. 

The MTA, the media and on our own eyes are the only credible sources.

16 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

So, we will see 3010-14 again sometime this decade. Cool.

In all seriousness, they're cutting it a bit close in the effort to make the (C) full length before the Canarsie shutdown. That is if we're going by the plan for the five-car sets to displace the 46s to the (C).

12 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

If that's the case, then this means bad news for B train riders, especially in the Bronx, who are already experiencing delays and now the MTA is reducing service on that line???

Who said they were reducing service? It's probably a spare from Concourse or CIY and they probably have a couple of R160's OOS atm.

On 10/19/2018 at 11:12 PM, Coney Island Av said:

As ATH mentioned, that R68A set is just a loaner from the (B), same as the R68A (A) during the PM rush.  Also, the former Coney Island sets on the (E) and (F) are the "Cuomo" sets.  Coney Island got in exchange a few 9200s and 9400s from Jamaica, so there's no swap (yet).

On 10/20/2018 at 12:23 AM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

(B) service is atrocious (especially in the PM rush hour), but they're not cutting service.  The (B) has a decent (by MTA standards) spare factor, and being a part-time line, one set from Coney Island already goes on the (A) in the evening, and now one for the (Q).  Capacity on the (B) is hindered by poor scheduling and all the interlockings it has to go over--including 59 St and DeKalb, which are two of the worst.

A friend of mine spotted 3154-3157 NIS at 145 St tonight.  Not sure if there was another set attached to it.