R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Speaking of the (B) train, it hasn't seen service after 9PM-11PM for that long (knowing that there's work to be done overnight).

Also, about 12 R179s are in-service on the (J) 

I've been noticing that. Also, Manhattan bound D and N trains have been running local in Brooklyn after 8:30 for a very long time.

Why is the MTA doing track work at 9pm?? People are still coming out of work and college at that time and trains are still crowded. These people pay the same fare as everyone else. The MTA should start track work at 11pm when most people are already sleeping.

55 minutes ago, Bosco said:

As ATH mentioned, that R68A set is just a loaner from the (B), same as the R68A (A) during the PM rush.  Also, the former Coney Island sets on the (E) and (F) are the "Cuomo" sets.  Coney Island got in exchange a few 9200s and 9400s from Jamaica, so there's no swap (yet).

(B) service is atrocious (especially in the PM rush hour), but they're not cutting service.  The (B) has a decent (by MTA standards) spare factor, and being a part-time line, one set from Coney Island already goes on the (A) in the evening, and now one for the (Q).  Capacity on the (B) is hindered by poor scheduling and all the interlockings it has to go over--including 59 St and DeKalb, which are two of the worst.

A friend of mine spotted 3154-3157 NIS at 145 St tonight.  Not sure if there was another set attached to it.

The MTA should revised those interlockings at Dekalb Avenue. It's ridiculous how northbound B, D, N and Q trains are constantly delayed around that particular area.

On 10/20/2018 at 9:46 AM, Lance said:

In all seriousness, they're cutting it a bit close in the effort to make the (C) full length before the Canarsie shutdown. That is if we're going by the plan for the five-car sets to displace the 46s to the (C).

Can't they already displace more R46s as the R32s go on the (A)? Then just wait for the final arrival of 10-car R179s.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The MTA should revised those interlockings at Dekalb Avenue. It's ridiculous how northbound B, D, N and Q trains are constantly delayed around that particular area.

It's long overdue, but not likely to happen for at least 10 years (and that's assuming Byford gets the money for his plan).

1 hour ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Can't they already displace more R46s as the R32s go on the (A)? Then just wait for the final arrival of 10-car R179s.

Remember it's not a true swap since the (C) (and (J)) uses 8-car R32 trains while the (A) uses 10 cars.  For every train swapped, an additional pair of R32s that would otherwise be a spare now sees revenue service.  So there aren't enough cars to do a complete swap until the 10-car R179s arrive.

1 minute ago, Bosco said:

It's long overdue, but not likely to happen for at least 10 years (and that's assuming Byford gets the money for his plan).

Remember it's not a true swap since the (C) (and (J)) uses 8-car R32 trains while the (A) uses 10 cars.  For every train swapped, an additional pair of R32s that would otherwise be a spare now sees revenue service.  So there aren't enough cars to do a complete swap until the 10-car R179s arrive.

Interesting!! I have been seeing more r32s on both the A and C trains, but the r32's on the C are still 8 car trains. But you answered my question. Lol!!!

7 hours ago, Calvin said:

Wouldn't it make sense that once all the R179s were delivered to the (J) line that the R32s are moved back to the (C) to make 10 car trains with the (A) as R46s since the (C) is part-time?

That would just lead to another problem with r32 HVACs since the C never goes outside. Leaving them on the A at least gets them some air time

57 minutes ago, Alexander9172 said:

That would just lead to another problem with r32 HVACs since the C never goes outside. Leaving them on the A at least gets them some air time

That and because the (A) has more ridership than it’s local counterpart, having 10-car trains on the line would handle crowds better.

This is a Canarsie shutdown update officially confirmed by the MTA. Click on the link:

https://www.amny.com/transit/l-train-shutdown-1.22311753

Since the A will most likely have a mixed fleet, it would be a good idea to have all 10 car r179's go to Ozone Park. During rush hours have the r46's go to one side of Rockaways, and the r32's go to the other side of the Rockaways. 

Some r32's can run on the Rockaway Shuttle during off peak hours. It has happened in the past (remember Sandy???) 

I feel like this would make life easier for A train riders, who will be able to tell where the A train is going based on car fleet.

9 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

This is a Canarsie shutdown update officially confirmed by the MTA. Click on the link:

https://www.amny.com/transit/l-train-shutdown-1.22311753

Since the A will most likely have a mixed fleet, it would be a good idea to have all 10 car r179's go to Ozone Park. During rush hours have the r46's go to one side of Rockaways, and the r32's go to the other side of the Rockaways. 

Some r32's can run on the Rockaway Shuttle during off peak hours. It has happened in the past (remember Sandy???) 

I feel like this would make life easier for A train riders, who will be able to tell where the A train is going based on car fleet.

Yes, R32s ran on the special Rockaways Shuttle post-Sandy, but they were then swapped out with R46s for OPTO operations. I’m not really sure if the R179s will cause power issues at LIPA/the train car itself, but I would rather have the R179s run to Far Rockaway if enough R179s are there for that. (The R32s are good, but they suffer from bad MDBF)

51 minutes ago, mine248 said:

Yes, R32s ran on the special Rockaways Shuttle post-Sandy, but they were then swapped out with R46s for OPTO operations. I’m not really sure if the R179s will cause power issues at LIPA/the train car itself, but I would rather have the R179s run to Far Rockaway if enough R179s are there for that. (The R32s are good, but they suffer from bad MDBF)

Yes, the r32's are one of the most unreliable cars. However, if they run to the Rockaways, preferably Rockaway Park as the A or the Shuttle, they will get more outdoor exposure decreasing chances of breaking down.

In other words during rush hour:

r179's -Ozone Park

r46's - Far Rockaway

r32's - Rockaway Park

But having the r46's going to Ozone Park and the r179's to Far Rockaway may also work depending on ridership.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

Yes, the r32's are one of the most unreliable cars. However, if they run to the Rockaways, preferably Rockaway Park as the A or the Shuttle, they will get more outdoor exposure decreasing chances of breaking down.

r179's -Ozone Park

r46's - Far Rockaway

r32's - Rockaway Park

But having the r46's going to Ozone Park and the r179's to Far Rockaway may also work depending on ridership.

I was thinking something like this:

12 car of R32s on the Rockaway Park (S)

R32s to Rockaway Park to have Rockaway Park Yard be 100% R32

R179s to Far Rockaway given enough R179s are delivered (because airport traffic)

R46s to Ozone

Where do i begin....

Thats not how car assignments go.  First, whatever trains are used go to any terminal its interval is scheduled for. They do NOT do car assignments based on destination. So 32s, 46s and 179s will go to Ozone, Mott and 116.

And I cant stress this part enough:

There are no more power issues in rockaway anymore! Theres a power station in broad channel that was added that solved this!!!! Can that "power issues in Rockaway" die already???

r179's -Ozone Park

r46's - Far Rockaway

r32's - Rockaway Park

The reason the 32s needed outaide air was for the air conditioning.  The overall poor performance (low MDBF) is all mechanical issues. Doors, motors, etc.   The 32s running outside will not fix this.  

3 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

r179's -Ozone Park

r46's - Far Rockaway

r32's - Rockaway Park

Lol at this comment from you as usual.

Far Rock Depot hit it right on the nose. All train car types run at any given time. A train is a train and that's that. They can take the R32s out of service whenever they want to anyway. It has been explain before or should I say numerous times. The R32s will stay on the (A) and (C) until the R211s come. Deal with it.

@mine248: Rockaway Park Yard is just a yard. That's it. Both Pitkin Avenue and 207th Street have a shop where all the maintenance and inspection businesses take place. Hence the word "shop". There's no need at all for the R32s to be on the (S) unless they really have to lol. The dispatchers already remove the R32s from service on the (A) line whenever they feel like it anyway.

Edited by Jemorie

2 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Where do i begin....

Thats not how car assignments go.  First, whatever trains are used go to any terminal its interval is scheduled for. They do NOT do car assignments based on destination. So 32s, 46s and 179s will go to Ozone, Mott and 116.

And I cant stress this part enough:

There are no more power issues in rockaway anymore! Theres a power station in broad channel that was added that solved this!!!! Can that "power issues in Rockaway" die already???

Thanks for the clarification.  I  wasn't aware of that. The only reason  I thought it was a good idea to assign one car fleet per each A train branch is to eliminate confusion on A train riders. It's frustrating to get on the A and not know where the A is going, especially if the train announcement is not clear or the yellow screens are not functioning. 

There needs to be a way of solving this problem!!!!!!

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

30 minutes ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Aa far as 32s on the shuttle, You know ithe shuttle are OPTO right? 32s cannot do OPTO.

Lol you know that's what I just literally said and I've been aware of that. I'm not the one who made the suggestion for the 32s to be on the Rock Park Shuttle. Hence the quoting to the person in question.

Anyway, back to topic.

Edited by Jemorie

1 minute ago, Jemorie said:

Lol you know that's what I just literally said and I've been aware of that. I'm not the one who made the suggestion for the 32s to be on the Rock Park Shuttle.

Yeah sorry that was me. The R32s can’t do OPTO. The 46s and 179s can

3 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Thanks for the clarification.  I  wasn't aware of that. The only reason  I thought it was a good idea to assign one car fleet per each A train branch is to eliminate confusion on A train riders. It's frustrating to get on the A and not know where the A is going, especially if the train announcement is not clear or the yellow screens are not functioning. 

There needs to be a way of solving this problem!!!!!!

Riders don't care about what kind rolling stock is on their line. Plus the conductor can make manual announcements if the LCDs aren't working. 

Besides, the effects of "unclear announcements" or "broken LCDs" are very negligible given that we already have countdown clocks that tells us which is going where. 

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

Riders don't care about what kind rolling stock is on their line. Plus the conductor can make manual announcements if the LCDs aren't working. 

Besides, the effects of "unclear announcements" or "broken LCDs" are very negligible given that we already have countdown clocks that tells us which is going where. 

Those countdown clocks in the letter lines don't always work either many times the screen is either blank or the information is inaccurate.

2 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Lol at this comment from you as usual.

Far Rock Depot hit it right on the nose. All train car types run at any given time. A train is a train and that's that. They can take the R32s out of service whenever they want to anyway. It has been explain before or should I say numerous times. The R32s will stay on the (A) and (C) until the R211s come. Deal with it.

@mine248: Rockaway Park Yard is just a yard. That's it. Both Pitkin Avenue and 207th Street have a shop where all the maintenance and inspection businesses take place. Hence the word "shop". There's no need at all for the R32s to be on the (S) unless they really have to lol. The dispatchers already remove the R32s from service on the (A) line whenever they feel like it anyway.

I get it!!!

Not everyone in this forum have technical mechanical knowledge of the subway system, but like everyone else in this forum wants the subway to improve.

I don't know if you have been riding the A train, but communication onboard is horrible and the countdown clocks don't always work. This causes confusion among riders.

Can you think of a way to address these communication issues since car fleets cannot be split???