R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

3 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Can you think of a way to address these communication issues since car fleets cannot be split???

Long term - R211's 

Short Term - R179's and Conductors (not all of them since the ones I'm giving an exception to have a loud voice) need to speak up!!!

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Long term - R211's 

Short Term - R179's and Conductors (not all of them since the ones I'm giving an exception to have a loud voice) need to speak up!!!

I feel like maybe some cables with the PA system may need to be reattached/replaced. Sometimes there’s buzzing during announcements. 

45 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I get it!!!

Not everyone in this forum have technical mechanical knowledge of the subway system, but like everyone else in this forum wants the subway to improve.

I don't know if you have been riding the A train, but communication onboard is horrible and the countdown clocks don't always work. This causes confusion among riders.

Can you think of a way to address these communication issues since car fleets cannot be split???

As a rider of the A since 1990, and a formwr conductor let me tell you a few thimgs that will ease the "confusion of riders'- cause that is always thrown around when talking about the A- the riders themselves!!!!

1)most dont bother reading. Thats a fact!  They dont read signs. At all.  There are destination signs that dont work, but its not as much as most of you here like to claim!  Trust me.  Almost 30 years of being on the A as a rider alone(im 41) ive swen that 95% of the signs work 95% of the time! 

2) take off the damn headphones and stop playing your music loud without them! Theres announcements. Most dont heae them and a lot of you hwre havemt taken the A train as much as you lead on. As a C/R, im loud! Ive been loud as a kid.  And my signs were always set proper! But all the time "what train is this? Is this the A? Whats the next stop? Lefferts or Rockaway?" And herea my favorite *removes headphones, music plays loudly* "why didnt you make an announcement?"  Trust me on this, it's the riders.

3) riders really dont care about train car type! Yeah youll hear some say "why cant we get new trains?"  Thats just because its shiny and new. Once that fades away after a few weeks, a train is a train to them. So having routes by type wont work.  And will be an oporational nightmare!!! Especially at 207! Trust me on that! 

1 minute ago, Around the Horn said:

I will say A LOT of the R46s sign glitch... I've seen multiple (A) trains having individual cars in the same train with three different readings on them

I see multiple A trains every day.  For about 3 decades.  And woeked on them as a C/R. It really isnt as much as most of you claim.  

But i guess 30 years as a daily commuter, railfan and conductor combined holds no weight right? It never does here. 

4 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I will say A LOT of the R46s sign glitch... I've seen multiple (A) trains having individual cars in the same train with three different readings on them

Same thing on the (R).  Those signs are almost 30 years old and at the very least, the MTA should consider putting in new ones.  The technology is relatively inexpensive these days, and the R46s have the necessary conduit.  If they can put in new lights and stanchions, why not new signage?

1 minute ago, Bosco said:

Same thing on the (R).  Those signs are almost 30 years old and at the very least, the MTA should consider putting in new ones.  The technology is relatively inexpensive these days, and the R46s have the necessary conduit.  If they can put in new lights and stanchions, why not new signage?

The (R) seems to be worse off- once took a train with no LCD display on 2 cars, and it also had a high-pitched doorchime. However once on the (A) I saw rollsign with nothing but the light below it.

Edited by R68OnBroadway

3 minutes ago, Far Rock Depot said:

I see multiple A trains every day.  For about 3 decades.  And woeked on them as a C/R. It really isnt as much as most of you claim.  

But i guess 30 years as a daily commuter, railfan and conductor combined holds no weight right? It never does here. 

This is a recent thing in the last year or so

Just now, Bosco said:

Because its cheaper to repair those then refit. Especially since the cars that are getting new lights and stanchions have about two decades minimum left in them, unlike the 46s.  Which have what, 6-8 years left in them approximately? 

1 minute ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Because its cheaper to repair those then refit. Especially since the cars that are getting new lights and stanchions have about two decades minimum left in them, unlike the 46s.  Which have what, 6-8 years left in them approximately? 

Except they have upgraded a few R46s to have brighter lights and stanchions.  I agree it's a waste for those cars, but if the MTA is going to upgrade them for their last few years, they should at least do it right.

BTW communication issues go beyond the A. Even some NTT's have had issues with announcements. For example, look what happened with the J in terms of announcements when they were sent to Metropolitan Avenue. This issue affected r179's and other NTT's on the J.

I also agree with @LaGuardia Link N Tra in regards to some subway conductors. Many of them do a very good with the announcements. However, there are conductors that don't make announcements and I have witnessed conductors on the D train with attitude issues.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

58 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

BTW communication issues go beyond the A. Even some NTT's have had issues with announcements. For example, look what happened with the J in terms of announcements when they were sent to Metropolitan Avenue. This issue affected r179's and other NTT's on the J.

That issue happened due to the fact none of the NTT's had programs for a (J) to Metropolitan Avenue, which was fixed the second time that G.O. happened.  

58 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I also agree with @LaGuardia Link N Tra in regards to some subway conductors. Many of them do a very good with the announcements. However, there are conductors that don't make announcements and I have witnessed conductors on the D train with attitude issues.

Every single time I have rode the (A) out to the Rockaways (which is a good 15-20 times now), the conductor ALWAYS makes an announcement as the train approaches Rockaway Blvd, stating the destination, and if they need to transfer wait for Lefferts Blvd/Far Rockaway Bound  (A) at Rockaway Blvd. Every time. Even when the train in on the platform the conductor 9 times out of 10 states the terminal AGAIN, telling people if they need to wait or not, before then announcing the next stop and closing doors. Some PA systems need work done, as it is muffled, but most times it is loud and mostly clear. 

1 hour ago, Bosco said:

Except they have upgraded a few R46s to have brighter lights and stanchions.  I agree it's a waste for those cars, but if the MTA is going to upgrade them for their last few years, they should at least do it right.

I wondered why Jamaica's R46s have been getting the LED and double pole treatment, when by the time 2023 comes (if the R211s are not delayed 🤞) the R46s will be history. These upgrades haven't reached Pitkin's sets yet, but time will tell

Edited by Railfan 007

11 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I get it!!!

Not everyone in this forum have technical mechanical knowledge of the subway system, but like everyone else in this forum wants the subway to improve.

I don't know if you have been riding the A train, but communication onboard is horrible and the countdown clocks don't always work. This causes confusion among riders.

Why does it matter how often I take, go or do something in general? It’s not like I’m gonna get a shiny golden medal lol. For example, I don’t have to be younger to like cartoons and older to like the “grown up” stuff, I like whatever I like no matter how old I am in general and there’s nothing nobody can do to tell me otherwise or tell me how to live my life in general. The problem is you just have an attitude and don’t listen (your multiple explaination marks and question marks at the end of some of your sentences are a dead giveaway). Every time there’s a discussion related to the (A) and (C), you keep repeating the same nonsensical claims over and over again: “The R32s will create the biggest breakdowns on the line because they’re too old”, “the R46s always have LCD failures”, “passengers are so confused because the R46s stink with their LCDs or the C/Rs” etc. And if you do get it, then you obviously wouldn’t be making such statements like this lol.

The subway is slow in part because the passengers themselves are slow. They take long to get in and out of trains. They have their headphones on listening to music on their phones or just texting on their phones, not paying attention to the train, its announcements, or just where the train is going in general. They also hold doors just so their friends or family members still on their way to the platform to get on the train at the last minute when the train closes its doors, delaying the train and throwing it off schedule. Another large reason is the aging signaling system and timers (what else is new with the subway). Something like this shouldn’t be that subtle to comprehend and we talked about this before all the time.

Like I said, the R32s are the oldest cars in the book, yes, but are not entirely to blame for the poor performances of the (A) and (C) . And air-conditioning (in response to your other comments before in general) is not the only factor. Even with the (A) and (C) review released back in late 2015, the agency has gone on to state that the rolling stock is the least of their worries. As for as your last question, well...you tell me lol. I mean the passengers at least sometimes have to take responsibility for their own actions. If they grew up, live on, and/or ride the (A) everyday, there’s no reason for them to be confused...

4 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Why does it matter how often I take, go or do something in general? It’s not like I’m gonna get a shiny golden medal lol. For example, I don’t have to be younger to like cartoons and older to like the “grown up” stuff, I like whatever I like no matter how old I am in general and there’s nothing nobody can do to tell me otherwise or tell me how to live my life in general. The problem is you just have an attitude and don’t listen (your multiple explaination marks and question marks at the end of some of your sentences are a dead giveaway). Every time there’s a discussion related to the (A) and (C), you keep repeating the same nonsensical claims over and over again: “The R32s will create the biggest breakdowns on the line because they’re too old”, “the R46s always have LCD failures”, “passengers are so confused because the R46s stink with their LCDs or the C/Rs” etc. And if you do get it, then you obviously wouldn’t be making such statements like this lol.

The subway is slow in part because the passengers themselves are slow. They take long to get in and out of trains. They have their headphones on listening to music on their phones or just texting on their phones, not paying attention to the train, its announcements, or just where the train is going in general. They also hold doors just so their friends or family members still on their way to the platform to get on the train at the last minute when the train closes its doors, delaying the train and throwing it off schedule. Another large reason is the aging signaling system and timers (what else is new with the subway). Something like this shouldn’t be that subtle to comprehend and we talked about this before all the time.

Like I said, the R32s are the oldest cars in the book, yes, but are not entirely to blame for the poor performances of the (A) and (C) . And air-conditioning (in response to your other comments before in general) is not the only factor. Even with the (A) and (C) review released back in late 2015, the agency has gone on to state that the rolling stock is the least of their worries. As for as your last question, well...you tell me lol. I mean the passengers at least sometimes have to take responsibility for their own actions. If they grew up, live on, and/or ride the (A) everyday, there’s no reason for them to be confused...

I don't have any attitude. 

I just share my own opinions on the r179's and beyond, which are based on experience and what the media says. I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

I don't work for the MTA and I don't know anyone who works for the MTA. However, like everyone else I pay $2.75 per ride or $121 per month for a subway service that is mediocre.

Yes, and I pick on the A and C trains because they are the two most unreliable lines due to all the issues that are affecting the lines. What are the issues?? It doesn't matter!!! What really matters is that ALL these issues need to be fixed ASAP!!

The whole subway system needs to be fixed!!!

29 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

so the issues don't matter but they do???

What I'm trying to say is that every single issue that is affecting subway service needs to be fixed. Whether it's signals, tracks, technical stuff, passengers, staff, car fleet, communications, internal bureaucracy, plus other aspects of the subway needs to be improved.

it's embarrassing that even some third world nations have a more efficient subway system.

Anyways, this is the latest update confirmed by the MTA, in regards to Canarsie. The people who love on the I line in Manhattan are screwed.

Click on the link:

https://www.amny.com/transit/l-train-shutdown-1.22311753

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

What I'm trying to say is that every single issue that is affecting subway service needs to be fixed. Whether it's signals, tracks, technical stuff, passengers, staff, car fleet, communications, internal bureaucracy, plus other aspects of the subway needs to be improved.

it's embarrassing that even some third world nations have a more efficient subway system.

Anyways, this is the latest update confirmed by the MTA, in regards to Canarsie. The people who love on the I line in Manhattan are screwed.

Click on the link:

When we are talking on the scale of billions of dollars, we have to choose what issues to take on first. I agree that there are lots of issues that need to be fixed, but we can't do this randomly. There has to be a specific plan.

You have to know that it takes time & money to fix things around here. Money doesn’t pop out of the magic hats like rabbits do. Just be patient, and it’ll come to it. As long as the subway line gets from A to B, I’m good. A few delays or slow ups, but who knows what may happen then?

On 10/19/2018 at 9:19 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:
On 10/19/2018 at 4:58 PM, Union Tpke said:

Thanks for sharing the information. These 236 cars pretty much represents all the 8 car r179's and some of the 10 car r179's.

Also, there  are rumors circulating in YouTube about the A and C sharing the 10 car r179's, the A getting a few r160's from the NQW due to CBTC, and the r42's being retired by the end of 2019. This is unconfirmed information that may or may not happen. Let's see what happens and let's see what's MTA's final decision in regards to car assignments for next year and beyond.  

Just sayin'...

At the present average rate of acceptance (about 10 cars per month), it will take until July 2019 to get all 196 4-car R-179s into revenue service, and then another year (up to July 2020) for the 120 5-car portion to complete the process for all 316 of the R-179's.

22 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Yes, and I pick on the A and C trains because they are the two most unreliable lines due to all the issues that are affecting the lines. What are the issues?? It doesn't matter!!! What really matters is that ALL these issues need to be fixed ASAP!!

The whole subway system needs to be fixed!!!

Are the (A)/(C) most unreliable lines? Really? What fact are you making this statement on? Nah don't answer that unless its a link to an article/MTA pdf. Last time I checked, the (2)(4)(5) are the most unreliable in terms of on-time performance (Link to a NYTimes Article). But yeah, sure continue talking. Nah, wait, find facts before talking again next time.

20 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Click on the link:

Now, those same people are the ones who are fighting the alternatives that the MTA/DOT are proposing, such as bus only lanes along 14th Street, and banning traffic along 14th Street during the day to increase the reliability of the buses. MTA has got New Flyer/Nova pumping out buses like faster than 32s leaving East New York yard for 207th, so there definitely won't be a shortage of buses during the shutdown. So, if they continue to fight the MTA/DOT on the bus improvements they are planning for 14th Street, that's their problem to deal with when they have to walk to 14th-St Union Sq instead if having the option of taking a bus to Union Sq. No one should feel sorry for the people of Manhattan as they fight against the MTA/DOT, when all NYC/DOT want to do is help alleviate some of their problems they will have when the (L) closes. 

6 hours ago, VIP said:

Welp, R179 3074-3077 already is damaged by acid markers in the hands of graffiti “artists” 

R179 3093 was tagged back in July, so it seems like the "artists" have started to make "their mark" on the new cars

21 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

Just sayin'...

At the present average rate of acceptance (about 10 cars per month), it will take until July 2019 to get all 196 4-car R-179s into revenue service, and then another year (up to July 2020) for the 120 5-car portion to complete the process for all 316 of the R-179's.

It seems like the cars are coming in a little faster now, as 12 cars showed up within this month, and maybe more on the way. Bombardier/MTA is still cutting it real close to April 2019 for full delivery, but we'll see