R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

44 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

Just sayin'...

At the present average rate of acceptance (about 10 cars per month), it will take until July 2019 to get all 196 4-car R-179s into revenue service, and then another year (up to July 2020) for the 120 5-car portion to complete the process for all 316 of the R-179's.

Let's see what happens. Delivery might be accelerated once all issues are solved on the 10 car r179. At least things are still progressing very well with the 8 car trains.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Railfan 007 said:

Now, those same people are the ones who are fighting the alternatives that the MTA/DOT are proposing, such as bus only lanes along 14th Street, and banning traffic along 14th Street during the day to increase the reliability of the buses. MTA has got New Flyer/Nova pumping out buses like faster than 32s leaving East New York yard for 207th, so there definitely won't be a shortage of buses during the shutdown. So, if they continue to fight the MTA/DOT on the bus improvements they are planning for 14th Street, that's their problem to deal with when they have to walk to 14th-St Union Sq instead if having the option of taking a bus to Union Sq. No one should feel sorry for the people of Manhattan as they fight against the MTA/DOT, when all NYC/DOT want to do is help alleviate some of their problems they will have when the (L) closes. 

The plan for making 14 street "bus and pedestrian only" is excellent. My concern is that the number of buses may not be enough to accommodate displaced L train riders in Manhattan, who rely on the L train to go crosstown.

At least displaced L trains riders in Brooklyn will have a lot of options to get to Manhattan

46 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The plan for making 14 street "bus and pedestrian only" is excellent. My concern is that the number of buses may not be enough to accommodate displaced L train riders in Manhattan, who rely on the L train to go crosstown.

At least displaced L trains riders in Brooklyn will have a lot of options to get to Manhattan

A standard bus can carry ~80 people, while an Articulated bus can carry ~110 people. Last time I heard, they will be running buses at 4 min intervals during rush hours, which will mean 15 buses per hour. 15 standards in an hour, packed, it ~1,200 people, while 15 Artics per hour will be ~1,650. Will it be enough? Possibly. However, including the M14SBS route, on top of the M14A/D, which already runs artics, and increasing the frequency of those routes too, I think it will be enough, as the carrying capacity should be close to 3-4k people per hour. 1st and 3rd Avenue are not generating that many people that buses can't keep up with.

If the buses are slammed the first week, MTA will make adjustments. My only concern with the plan is morning rush hour probably can't be covered by buses, as it probably will be too many people arriving at once. All other times, the buses should do fine for Manhattan, once they are not held up in traffic.

23 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

More burn in testing:

http://youtu.be/SoAco2eHKwc

Although it is kind of odd to have 8 car trains testing on the F line, I think it's a good idea that the r179's, especially the 10 car r179's, test on the F line, since the A often gets rerouted on the F whenever there's track work or any issues.

Two MTA articles that came out today. The first article is similar to the NYT article that I shared in a previous post. The second article is the most updated info on the Canarsie shutdown.

https://www.amny.com/transit/nyc-subway-signals-1.22617210

https://www.amny.com/transit/l-train-shutdown-date-1.22646108

On 10/28/2018 at 7:44 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Although it is kind of odd to have 8 car trains testing on the F line, I think it's a good idea that the r179's, especially the 10 car r179's, test on the F line, since the A often gets rerouted on the F whenever there's track work or any issues.

That would be not be a reason at all to why MTA would test the cars on the F. I do not have an idea why they would test on the F, but your reason does not make sense. Run a full train from Coney to 179th and back because (A) trains are occasionally rerouted? That is a definite no. Most likely it was testing on the F to make sure the cars can pass on any line they are placed on.

49 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

3170-73 on its way to pitkin yd

3170-3173 is delivered and heading to the flats, but 3070-3073 is still not on MTA property yet. Surprising the car numbers keep going higher and higher and 3070-3073 still is not in NYC yet.

12 hours ago, Railfan 007 said:

That would be not be a reason at all to why MTA would test the cars on the F. I do not have an idea why they would test on the F, but your reason does not make sense. Run a full train from Coney to 179th and back because (A) trains are occasionally rerouted? That is a definite no. Most likely it was testing on the F to make sure the cars can pass on any line they are placed on.

They probably tested it there because a) the track was relatively free and would not cause a disruption of service on the line and/or b) to make sure the announcements were in sync along the (F) line stops. They did this exact same testing back in 2007 or so where 160s would run on the (B) and (D) lines, and signed as such, despite there never being any real intention of actually running the trains in passenger service on those lines at the time.

2 hours ago, Lance said:

They probably tested it there because a) the track was relatively free and would not cause a disruption of service on the line and/or b) to make sure the announcements were in sync along the (F) line stops. They did this exact same testing back in 2007 or so where 160s would run on the (B) and (D) lines, and signed as such, despite there never being any real intention of actually running the trains in passenger service on those lines at the time.

Wow, thank you for sharing this information.

There was a rumor years ago that the r160's were supposed to to the B/D trains.

However, this information confirms that this rumor is not true.

16 hours ago, Railfan 007 said:

R179 clearance tests were done in 2016. R179 already visited all Div B trackage. I saw the R179s on 63rd street line and at 179th in 2016. These tests must be announcement testing as someone said or CBTC on culver or reliability testing of some sort. J has no high speed sections. All local, all timered. Even crossing the east river is slow on Willy B.

37 minutes ago, bulk88 said:

R179 clearance tests were done in 2016. R179 already visited all Div B trackage. I saw the R179s on 63rd street line and at 179th in 2016. These tests must be announcement testing as someone said or CBTC on culver or reliability testing of some sort. J has no high speed sections. All local, all timered. Even crossing the east river is slow on Willy B.

Was there any track work being done on the J/Z at the time that this set was being tested on the F?? 

If not, then I think @Lance is right and they were just testing the announcements. Recordings were made in all subway lines, so it makes it possible for the r179's to do announcement testing in any line, except the numbered lines.

51 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Was there any track work being done on the J/Z at the time that this set was being tested on the F?? 

If not, then I think @Lance is right and they were just testing the announcements. Recordings were made in all subway lines, so it makes it possible for the r179's to do announcement testing in any line, except the numbered lines.

That particular train was testing on the (C) before and after that one run on the (F), so maybe there was some kind of track work on the (C)...

On 11/1/2018 at 4:01 PM, bulk88 said:

I know that clearance testing was long time done. What I meant by the train could pass testing on any line was burn-in testing. The sets have done burn-in on the (A) and the (J), and recently on the (C). There is nothing to prevent them from doing burn-in on other lines to make where ever the cars are sent, they will be able to run in revenue service. But like Lance said, it was most likely announcement testing MTA was doing.

14 hours ago, Railfan 007 said:

I know that clearance testing was long time done. What I meant by the train could pass testing on any line was burn-in testing. The sets have done burn-in on the (A) and the (J), and recently on the (C). There is nothing to prevent them from doing burn-in on other lines to make where ever the cars are sent, they will be able to run in revenue service. But like Lance said, it was most likely announcement testing MTA was doing.

A 8 car set did burn in testing on the (F) a couple of weeks ago.

43 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

3010-3014 are coming back in tonight. 

3010-3012 arrived yesterday while 3013 and 3014 are coming in tonight. The issues on the five-car sets have now been fixed! 

Source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj4mGv3H-HM

That is an excellent news!!!!

At least now we know where to go to find out about r179 deliveries. Lol!!!!!

Edited by subwaycommuter1983