R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

11 minutes ago, railfanned said:

BREAKIN i repeat BREAKING:

I take the (C) train home everyday, and I caught an r179 car 3150 but 8 car. And yes they are in service. Y not 10?

Was the train doors opening on the correct side (if the platform is on the left then the doors open on the left and if the platform is on the right then the doors open on the right)?

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, railfanned said:

Isnt the (C) supposed to be full length now? What sense does it make putting a new 8 car train if they are going to be changed?

Yes, but I think it will be completely full length after all 10 car r179's are in service.

I have also been seeing more 8 car r32's on the C, which is weird when the r32's can operate as 10 car trains on the C. 

41 minutes ago, railfanned said:

Isnt the (C) supposed to be full length now? What sense does it make putting a new 8 car train if they are going to be changed?

Not fully yet.   Not enough cars.  The 32s on the C still run 8.  Theres still 8 car 160s on the line.  These changes usually are never overnight.  Once the 10 car sets start coming in and seeing service, youll see more full length sets on the C 

5 minutes ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Not fully yet.   Not enough cars.  The 32s on the C still run 8.  Theres still 8 car 160s on the line.  These changes usually are never overnight.  Once the 10 car sets start coming in and seeing service, youll see more full length sets on the C 

So why couldn't they just leave the r160s, r32, and the r46s and wait for the 10 car r179s?

9 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Even though this is likely temporary, the (C) line finally got a new train fresh out of the factory!

Would've been nice if they could've done this on the (A), a line that hasn't had NTT trains in regularly scheduled service for over +10 years. I'm sure they might soon however, seeing as the (C) already is undergoing testing with them.

@Coney Island Av Amazing shots, especially the last one!

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Yes, but I think it will be completely full length after all 10 car r179's are in service.

I have also been seeing more 8 car r32's on the C, which is weird when the r32's can operate as 10 car trains on the C. 

Heres the thing: the plan ia to have most of not all of the ten car sets on the A. This will allow their 46s to go to the C.

As far as the 32s, they still dont have enough freed up for 10 car seta on the C.  Yes, you see more on the A now, but that was to replace the 46s they sent to the C. And the 8 car sets you see added to thr C were freed up from the J when 179s went their.  They dont have 32s to spare to add to 8 car sets without breaking up an additional 8 car set.  

5 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Would've been nice if they could've done this on the (A), a line that hasn't had NTT trains in regularly scheduled service for over +10 years. I'm sure they might soon however, seeing as the (C) already is undergoing testing with them.

@Coney Island Av Amazing shots, especially the last one!

I can't wait until the (A) starts running 179s, another line I'm eager to see tech trains on. Since both 5 car sets are now back in NYC hopefully that happens soon.