R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Would've been nice if they could've done this on the (A), a line that hasn't had NTT trains in regularly scheduled service for over +10 years. I'm sure they might soon however, seeing as the (C) already is undergoing testing with them.

@Coney Island Av Amazing shots, especially the last one!

They can once they get a 10 set ready.  If you havent noticed, they only 179s running are the 8 car sets. They are just now getting a full 10 car set on the property

2 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Heres the thing: the plan ia to have most of not all of the ten car sets on the A. This will allow their 46s to go to the C.

As far as the 32s, they still dont have enough freed up for 10 car seta on the C.  Yes, you see more on the A now, but that was to replace the 46s they sent to the C. And the 8 car sets you see added to thr C were freed up from the J when 179s went their.  They dont have 32s to spare to add to 8 car sets without breaking up an additional 8 car set.  

In other words, the 8 car r179's and r32's on the C are temporarily on the C to displace the r160's to the G. Then, the 10 car r179's will displace more r46's to the C and become completely full length, and the r32's from the C will probably go to the G, and the 8 car r179's will go to ENY.

Is that the case???

Well guys things on the A C and G are starting to become interesting!!!

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

4 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

In other words, the 8 car r179's and r32's on the C are temporarily on the C to displace the r160's to the G. Then, the 10 car r179's will displace more r46's to the C and become completely full length, and the r32's from the C will probably go to the G, and the 8 car r179's will go to ENY.

Is that the case???

Well guys things on the A C and G are starting to become interesting!!!

NO! Where the french toast did you get all of that from????

15 minutes ago, Far Rock Depot said:

NO! Where the french toast did you get all of that from????

It's just a theory.

Obviously a few months from now, the A will most likely be a mixed fleet of r46's, r32's and r179's, while the C will be full length r46's.

The question at this point would be about the G. It's also going to be full length and it will be one of the lines that will have the highest ridership. But will it be a mixed fleet of r160's, r179's and r32's (8 car trains) or will it be a mixed fleet of r160's and r32's (8 car trains)??

38 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It's just a theory.

Obviously a few months from now, the A will most likely be a mixed fleet of r46's, r32's and r179's, while the C will be full length r46's.

The question at this point would be about the G. It's also going to be full length and it will be one of the lines that will have the highest ridership. But will it be a mixed fleet of r160's, r179's and r32's (8 car trains) or will it be a mixed fleet of r160's and r32's (8 car trains)??

Your "theory" did sound like you had a theory. As in you took it as thays what going to happen.  And thats the problem nowadays with most railfans.  They take something like that and run with it all over social media.   The fact is, outside of the A and C , we have no idea what fleet swaps are coming. The G could see NTTs, or expanded 68s.  We dont know. And unless someone in operatiins planning spills the beans, we wont know until it starts to happen. 

34 minutes ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Your "theory" did sound like you had a theory. As in you took it as thays what going to happen.  And thats the problem nowadays with most railfans.  They take something like that and run with it all over social media.   The fact is, outside of the A and C , we have no idea what fleet swaps are coming. The G could see NTTs, or expanded 68s.  We dont know. And unless someone in operatiins planning spills the beans, we wont know until it starts to happen. 

You should see all the crazy rumors going on YouTube.

One person even said on YouTube that he/she spoke to an employee at Coney island yard and the employee said that the r32's "are going to Concourse yard" Really???? I have to see it to believe that nonsense.

Although, I do admit to share theories about what may or may not happen, I also share info confirmed by the MTA.

1 minute ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

One person even said on YouTube that he/she spoke to an employee at Coney island yard and the employee said that the r32's "are going to Concourse yard" Really???? I have to see it to believe that nonsense.

Although, I do admit to share theories about what may or may not happen, I also share info confirmed by the MTA.

"Confirmed" by who in the MTA? Cause if it by a "friend" whos crew or somethimg like that, i hate to break it to you, but most crews dont know either.  And other employee see a railfan and feed false i fo.  Cause they know youll go on the forums and run with it.   Olus, the MTA does have a habit of changimg plans last minute. As a former employee myself, i know this for fact.  Now as far as the G, whonsaid it was going to be 8 cars? Ot could be 10 (or 8-car 68s).  Rememeber, The G needs a small fleet. 

10 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

"Confirmed" by who in the MTA? Cause if it by a "friend" whos crew or somethimg like that, i hate to break it to you, but most crews dont know either.  And other employee see a railfan and feed false i fo.  Cause they know youll go on the forums and run with it.   Olus, the MTA does have a habit of changimg plans last minute. As a former employee myself, i know this for fact.  Now as far as the G, whonsaid it was going to be 8 cars? Ot could be 10 (or 8-car 68s).  Rememeber, The G needs a small fleet. 

The MTA themselves have confirmed information to the media in regards to Canarsie and Byford's modernization plan. I've shared this information in this forum. 

There is a surplus of 8 car trains in ENY and service will be reduced on the L during Canarsie. The only line outside of ENY that can get 8 car trains is the G.

11 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

I do believe that the (G) going to 480 feet is pretty much a given. Almost everything else is just speculation, though.

16 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Yes but truthfully Concourse may be the perfect yard for the R32s being that it currently only maintains one car type (as the MTA doesn't like having yards maintaining more than two different car types as it makes the tasks difficult) and R32s would be better on the (D) than the (B) since the 4th Avenue Line is four tracked all the way to the bridge and can use both the bypass and outer tracks at DeKalb Avenue should one of the pairs get blocked for whatever reasons. Trains can also terminate at Atlantic Avenue's express tracks without disrupting local service, so they do not have to worry about going through the Montague Tunnel. If that were the case, its R68s can go to the (G) because I heard its superintendent wants 600-feet trains on that route during the shutdown as they can hold more people than 480-foot trains. The (G) honestly is a bad choice for the R32s because its two terminals are very far from rail yards, so if a train has to be taken OOS due to a breakdown or maintenance, they can't get a replacement train and it will cause a large gap in service. This happens on the (J) (Z) a lot, but I agree, best thing to do is sit back and wait.

16 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Yes it makes me laugh that some people believe any crap that comes out of a transit worker's mouth. Working for the MTA doesn't mean they know everything about the future.

3 hours ago, VIP said:

The (G) is due for CBTC  as per Byford’s capital plan. So obviously the 8-car R160’s will be housed at CI for (G) service even after the Shutdown. 

Byford's capital plan also has CBTC for every trunk line by 2030, with Lexington Avenue being next, but all the R62A lovers keep down playing the idea of the (6) getting NTTs back because CBTC there won't be ready before their retirement, yet they are so confident about it being on Queens Boulevard, 8th Avenue or 6th Avenue on time. Don't you just love hypocrisy? 

Edited by FlushingExpress

6 hours ago, FlushingExpress said:

Yes but truthfully Concourse may be the perfect yard for the R32s being that it currently only maintains one car type (as the MTA doesn't like having yards maintaining more than two different car types as it makes the tasks difficult) and R32s would be better on the (D) than the (B) since the 4th Avenue Line is four tracked all the way to the bridge and can use both the bypass and outer tracks at DeKalb Avenue should one of the pairs get blocked for whatever reasons. Trains can also terminate at Atlantic Avenue's express tracks without disrupting local service, so they do not have to worry about going through the Montague Tunnel. If that were the case, its R68s can go to the (G) because I heard its superintendent wants 600-feet trains on that route during the shutdown as they can hold more people than 480-foot trains. The (G) honestly is a bad choice for the R32s because its two terminals are very far from rail yards, so if a train has to be taken OOS due to a breakdown or maintenance, they can't get a replacement train and it will cause a large gap in service. This happens on the (J) (Z) a lot, but I agree, best thing to do is sit back and wait.

Yes it makes me laugh that some people believe any crap that comes out of a transit worker's mouth. Working for the MTA doesn't mean they know everything about the future.

Byford's capital plan also has CBTC for every trunk line by 2030, with Lexington Avenue being next, but all the R62A lovers keep down playing the idea of the (6) getting NTTs back because CBTC there won't be ready before their retirement, yet they are so confident about it being on Queens Boulevard, 8th Avenue or 6th Avenue on time. Don't you just love hypocrisy? 

According to Byford's plan QBL, 8th Avenue and Lexington Avenue will be CBTC within 5 years. 

If that happens, and again this is just a theory, then the 2 and 6 may have to swap cars and the r211s might run on the A,B,C and D. I included the B and D because even though they run on 6th avenue, they do get rerouted through 8th Avenue. 

Let's see what happens.  5 years is still a long time, but what we know for sure is that 5 years from now, the r62s and r68s will be the only SMEE's left in the system and 10 years from now, the whole subway fleet will be NTT'S. 

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

What is the next step in regards to testing for 3010-3019???

I'm not in that position to answer, since I don't know much about how the testing is done with the 5-car sets.

My best guess is that they redo all of the testing they did to see how well the cars perform this time around.

Took this last night. Not sure why there is no audio, but you get the gist of it.

Edited by Cait Sith

21 hours ago, FlushingExpress said:

You sound like a quack honestly. It's clear that you don't know what you're talking about.

17 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Back to relevant discussion.....3010-3014 has been towed to Pitkin Yard. Spotted the move at Fulton Street just two hours ago.

Yes. How does this topic keep wandering off into speculation about CBTC-related car assignments on the IRT?

2 hours ago, Railfan 007 said:

My own clips of 3150-3157 running on the (C), and if you have seen too much of R179 (C) service, you can fast forward to 7:58 in the video for 3162-3165 heading to the test track. Enjoy!!

But I thought they decided to run full length (600-foot) trains on the (C).

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

36 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Yes. How does this topic keep wandering off into speculation about CBTC-related car assignments on the IRT?

But I thought they decided to run full length (600-foot) trains on the (C).

It will happen once all 10 car r179's displace more r46s to the C. 

How many r46s are currently on the C?? Does anyone know??