R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/6/2018 at 11:19 PM, Far Rock Depot said:

The fact is, outside of the A and C , we have no idea what fleet swaps are coming. The G could see NTTs, or expanded 68s.  We dont know. And unless someone in operatiins planning spills the beans, we wont know until it starts to happen. 

In that case, since fleet swaps directly involving R179s on the A/C are underway, where are the official MTA plans? The shutdown is rapidly approaching.

On 11/9/2018 at 6:57 PM, U-BahnNYC said:

In that case, since fleet swaps directly involving R179s on the A/C are underway, where are the official MTA plans? The shutdown is rapidly approaching.

I doubt MTA will publicly say which fleet goes where, but the basics of what lines get service increases and what lines will need a fleet change are already said publicly. If you want to know which cars are going to go where and and what line, you will find out April 2019, as MTA is not going to publicly say that information.

Edited by Railfan 007

8 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Does anyone know if the ten car set will have to do a 30 day passenger service test or will it just do burn in like the production cars?

I don't think anyone knows for now... Personally, I'd prefer burn in since the individual R179 cars themselves have already been in service for a while now. But again, we'll have to see once future time comes closer.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

37 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

How many sets do we have now?

We have like 12-14 8 car trains by now with the inclusion of 3010-3019. How many sets is that in total?

So far:

3010-3019 (10 cars) 

3050-3069 (20 cars, (J))

3074-3149 (76 cars, (J))

3150-3157 (eight cars, (C))

3158-3173 (16 cars, testing)

3174-3177 (four cars, being delivered) 

We have over 12 8-car trains in service on the (J), one 8-car in service on the (C), and 2.5 more 8-car trains. This makes over 15.5 trains arranged in four-car sets, with 13 in service so far. Add 3010-3019 and you'll get 16.5 trains altogether, or 134 cars. 

11 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

We have over 12 8-car trains in service on the (J), one 8-car in service on the (C), and 2.5 more 8-car trains. This makes over 15.5 trains arranged in four-car sets, with 13 in service so far. Add 3010-3019 and you'll get 16.5 trains altogether, or 134 cars. 

Nice! Now all we need is 3070-3073 and the rest of the 5 car units and we're done with the 179 order. 

So in other words, all we're missing is the following:

(4 car sets) - 0.5 trains

(5 car sets) - 11 trains. 

Edited by LaGuardia Link N Tra

6 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Nice! Now all we need is 3070-3073 and the rest of the 5 car units and we're done with the 179 order. 

So in other words, all we're missing is the following:

(4 car sets) - 0.5 trains

(5 car sets) - 11 trains. 

That's not going to add up to 316.

There are 134 cars on property. We add the remaining 11 10 car trains and we got a total of 244 cars. There are still more 8 car trains to be delivered. Just subtract 316-244 and that will give you the remaining number of 8 car trains to be delivered. 

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

That's not going to add up to 316.

There are 134 cars on property. We add the remaining 11 10 car trains and we got a total of 244 cars. There are still more 8 car trains to be delivered. Just subtract 316-244 and that will give you the remaining number of 8 car trains to be delivered. 

In summary, what's left to be delivered is

9 (8 car trains)

11 (10 car trains) 

On a similar note, an 8 car r179 was used as a school car in the Rockaways.

Here's a clip enjoy!

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

1 hour ago, R179 8258 said:

Does anybody have a feeling that the MTA decide to split the 179s 8-car order between the (J) and (C) ?!? I’m mention it to not start a rumor but to trying to understand that’s the (C) got fresh out the factory cars 

Nah, they're just there to get 207th and Pitkin familiarized with them before the 10 car sets arrive.

On 11/11/2018 at 4:29 PM, Around the Horn said:

Does anyone know if the ten car set will have to do a 30 day passenger service test or will it just do burn in like the production cars?

It's the same train, just a different number of cars. They only have to burn in. 

On 11/11/2018 at 4:36 PM, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I don't think anyone knows for now... Personally, I'd prefer burn in since the individual R179 cars themselves have already been in service for a while now. But again, we'll have to see once future time comes closer.

This is the standard norm. Anyone in RTO would actually know this. 

19 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

3158-3161 and 3166-3169 is in service as of today on the (C) Train. Rode it earlier while heading to the parade.

I saw it today along with 3150-3157 while railfanning with my friends at 168th Street. I took some good pictures and videos. I should have them uploaded by tomorrow latest. Though I must say, it was surprising to see 2 179's on the (C) today. 

7 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I saw it today along with 3150-3157 while railfanning with my friends at 168th Street. I took some good pictures and videos. I should have them uploaded by tomorrow latest. Though I must say, it was surprising to see 2 179's on the (C) today. 

I saw  3150-3157 at 34th Street heading downtown. I was on an uptown E, so I saw it by coincidence. It looked shinier and it didn't have the yellow poles that the r160's have.

On 11/12/2018 at 7:01 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

In summary, what's left to be delivered is

9 (8 car trains)

11 (10 car trains) 

On a similar note, an 8 car r179 was used as a school car in the Rockaways.

Here's a clip enjoy!

Can we talk about this (K) program for a bit?? It intrigued me. What's the point of that program on the R179s if the (K) doesn't exist anymore?