R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Do you guys think it's a good idea for the C to run express between Canal Street and 59th Street during the weekdays or at least during rush hour???

Negative. That would just move one merge from one location to another while severely delaying other lines.

8 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Negative. That would just move one merge from one location to another while severely delaying other lines.

It'd actually make it worse. (A)(C)(D) would all be on 59th's express track. This is to say nothing of the fact that it'd end direct CPW-50th St service -- something many folks use. 

17 hours ago, RR503 said:

It'd actually make it worse. (A)(C)(D) would all be on 59th's express track. This is to say nothing of the fact that it'd end direct CPW-50th St service -- something many folks use. 

Plus, there are NO merging tracks between 42nd Street and 50th street, which is a shame because that would've allow the C to run express between Canal Street and 42nd Street and run local 50th street and above and at this point it may be too late to build merging tracks.

12 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

At any point today were the Holiday Train and the 179 (C) train at the same place at the same time? I would imagine that cause quite a bit of excitement with the fanners lol

59 St-Columbus Circle at 4:20 PM: To 168 St/Manhattan

Edited by Calvin

On 11/23/2018 at 8:14 PM, 4CNRailfan said:

Can we talk about this (K) program for a bit?? It intrigued me. What's the point of that program on the R179s if the (K) doesn't exist anymore?

Just like how the R160s had the SAS announcements and signs years before the line even opened, they probably have it just in case there's ever a need for a K train. Though I'm skeptical of that happening.

On 11/27/2018 at 3:57 PM, Union Tpke said:

My dad saw the 5-car sets of R179s passing through Forest Hills heading northbound on the express track doing testing yesterday.

Now that the 5-car set is here, how much more testing does it need to do before it can start revenue service?

And why aren't the tests being done on the (A), the line where it is due to enter service?