R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Dj Hammers said:

The testing 3010-3019 went through wasn’t burn-in, it was something else. 

There’s still more to do before they enter service.

That actually makes sense, since the train wasn't taking in passengers. I presume it'll take another set of weeks-months for the train to truly start running on the (A).

Come to think of it, I'm just going to celebrate for now, since once the 5 car 179's go into service. Pitkin will likely wear and tear the cars to there core, so I'm sure it'll end up looking like the R160 (C)'s in no time. Lol...

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

3 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Well, good to know that the ten car sets are doing burn in testing. Ironically, I personally know (and I'm friends with) the person who uploaded this. 

Cool.

3 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

The testing 3010-3019 went through wasn’t burn-in, it was something else. 

Good to know.

5 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

That actually makes sense, since the train wasn't taking in passengers. I presume it'll take another set of weeks-months for the train to truly start running on the (A).

Come to think of it, I'm just going to celebrate for now, since once the 5 car 179's go into service. Pitkin will likely wear and tear the cars to there core, so I'm sure it'll end up looking like the R160 (C)'s in no time. Lol...

207th maintains the (C) line 160s, AFAIK, Pikin has good maintenance. The (A) line fleet comes in for inspection more often compared to other B div lines (due to the high mileage of the (A) line)so the cars will be well taken of.

The R46 currently running out of Pikin are in good shape for their age IMO.

It's funny as CI 160s seem be in better shape than the ones based out of 207th, despite the fact that CI units run 24/7. 207th units brakes screech and have dead motors and just seem beat up and they run on a part time line, CI 160s rarely ever screech and run very smooth.

Edited by trainfan22

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

207th maintains the (C) line 160s, AFAIK, Pikin has good maintenance. The (A) line fleet comes in for inspection more often compared to other B div lines (due to the high mileage of the (A) line)so the cars will be well taken of.

The R46 currently running out of Pikin are in good shape for their age IMO.

It's funny as CI 160s seem be in better shape than the ones based out of 207th, despite the fact that CI units run 24/7. 207th units brakes screech and have dead motors and just seem beat up and they run on a part time line, CI 160s rarely ever screech and run very smooth.

The R46 sets out of Pitkin Yard are not in good shape, despite being younger than the ones out of Jamaica Yard. Even before the JY R46s received SMS, they outperformed the ones out of PY.

8 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

The R46 sets out of Pitkin Yard are not in good shape, despite being younger than the ones out of Jamaica Yard. Even before the JY R46s received SMS, they outperformed the ones out of PY.

I wonder if it's because JY 46s run on a part time line where's PY 46s run 24/7 (and on the longest line in the system). R62s outperform 62As even though they are older and even at one point even outperformed the 142s.

8 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

I agree, they are definitely in much worse condition than those used by Jamaica. However, I don't think they're all younger necessarily; weren't the R46s randomly renumbered during their SMS? That means their current numbers are no longer chronological. Except for the A-A two car sets, which are the newest regardless if I'm not mistaken.

17 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

How much more testing is there left to do? Didn't the R179s already pass all necessary tests?

17 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

After many, many months of testing, 3010-3019 is only one step away from entering service! 

I would certainly hope so.

8 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

3178-3181, 3182-3185: All delivered recently

3186-3189 should be arriving sometime this week if things go to plan. 

So if the current trend of deliveries continues, delivery of the 4-car R-179 links will be complete by mid-March 2019.

That would be just in time to meet the start of Canarsie Tunnel reconstruction next April.

The $64K question is whether the 5-car sets will also start to arrive for (A) before that, or continue from that point far into next summer.

Is Bombardier up to such a pace, and/or is NYCT able to process at such a rate?

Time will tell...

On 12/2/2018 at 4:36 PM, U-BahnNYC said:

I agree, they are definitely in much worse condition than those used by Jamaica. However, I don't think they're all younger necessarily; weren't the R46s randomly renumbered during their SMS? That means their current numbers are no longer chronological. Except for the A-A two car sets, which are the newest regardless if I'm not mistaken.

The R46s were mated as pairs prior to overhaul, then overhauled, and later made into 4 car sets and renumbered. (Disclaimer, I may be confusing them with the R44- All of the same events happened to both fleets, but not in the same order.)

Here's a riddle for you:
Between the Pitkin and 207 R46 fleets: 
Median age is the same.
Mean age is different. 

Edited by Art Vandelay

11 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

The R46s were mated as pairs prior to overhaul, then overhauled, and later made into 4 car sets and renumbered. (Disclaimer, I may be confusing them with the R44- All of the same events happened to both fleets, but not in the same order.)

Here's a riddle for you:
Between the Pitkin and 207 R46 fleets: 
Median age is the same.
Mean age is different. 

And to add to this, SMS is a newer program than what the fleets went through in the late 80s-early 90s.  That was known as GOH (General OverHaul)