R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PA-5s have Siemens traction.

I know, but they still sound more similar to MITRAC propulsion than the R160Bs

I'm was talking about the R160B Siemens set that is a CI

the MITRAC will be much quieter than the Siemens Propulsion on the B2s. Those things are mad loud lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what route they are getting shipped down? I know it's not for awhile, but I would love to catch some photos of it a few hours before it hits the city.

I believe orders coming from the Plattsburgh plant make their way (by rail) down the Hudson Line all the way through CSX and MNCR territory into the city. I forget which yard they are delivered to, but I believe Livonia since I know it has a railroad connection. They probably come down the Hell Gate line to get there.

Guest Lance

And I'm assuming that since we saw some R188's delivered the R179's should be right around the corner to start delivery also.

The 188 contract was awarded in 2010 and it's taken about two years for the cars to make its way here. The 179 order was just awarded last March. It's going to take a little while. After all, they do have to actually build the cars, you know.

I believe orders coming from the Plattsburgh plant make their way (by rail) down the Hudson Line all the way through CSX and MNCR territory into the city. I forget which yard they are delivered to, but I believe Livonia since I know it has a railroad connection. They probably come down the Hell Gate line to get there.

So they come down trough rail the whole way? And what I meant is, what route do they take upstate?

49795581.jpg

64940622.jpg

"What do New York City straphangers share in common with the folks in Plattsburgh, New York?

Both got some welcome news when the MTA and Bombardier Transportation inked the contract to manufacture 300 new R179 subways cars at Bombardier’s Plattsburgh facility. The order specifies10 prototypes for testing and approval, followed by 50 five-car sets and 10 four-car sets, with revenue service expected around late 2016.

For upstate residents, the $599 million deal will mean some 500 jobs and related revenue stimulus. For riders on NYC Transit’s lettered B Division lines, it will mean a fleet of state-of-the-art subway cars to retire the aging R32s and R42s, some of which are approaching 50 years old, well past the expected service life of a subway car. The R179s are also slated for use on the Second Avenue Subway.

What will the new cars look like?

“The 60-foot shell won’t look too different from the R160s you see on the lettered lines today,” says Michael Wetherell, vice president and chief mechanical officer, Division of Car Equipment, Subways. “Those design specifications have proven very successful. But as we work on this new order, we look forward to introducing a number of improvements.”

Lighting, climate controls, and digital voice announcements will all be upgraded. For riders, the most visible change will be in communications, including the strip map displays.

As Wetherell explains, “Instead of a display map that counts down the stops, the new cars will have a route indicator with more flexible messaging capacity. The new cars’ audio and text message displays will also have greater flexibility, allowing NYC Transit to quickly update service modifications and scheduling information.

Other improvements will be less visible. While the cars are not being purchased with closed-circuit television fully loaded, they will include the necessary wiring and conduits for future security camera installations. The new cars will also be lighter. By removing propulsion motors, lightening the floors, and making other materials changes, the trimmer R179s will improve overall energy efficiency.

“We are constantly looking for ways to reduce unnecessary weight,” Wetherell says. “It makes a real difference. Every pound of weight you can cut adds up to a significant energy saving over the life of a subway fleet.”

Though work in Plattsburgh has begun, much remains to be done before straphangers can actually enjoy their new ride.

According to Wetherell, the design specifications will be drafted and reviewed over the next four to six months. After initial design, ten R179 prototypes will be delivered in about 33 months to undergo another nine to 12 months of track testing. Full scale production and revenue service is scheduled for late 2016 or early 2017.

“The design and review process never really stops,” Wetherell says. “We are very excited about working with the design engineers at Bombardier, and will be reviewing every detail very closely to make sure we get the best possible product.”

Sources: http://us.bombardier.com/us/press_release_04062012.htm

^^^^^ Oh crap, they changed the front design! :D:D:D:D

I'm hype lol, looks like the interior ads that's on the R143's will make a return based on that interior rendering. I remember in the early days of the 160s the FIND used to have ads but I guess the TA axed that idea with those cars.