R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I wonder what does this mean in terms of car assignments, especially after all r179's are in service.

I have a feeling that indeed this may be the last year of the r42's. (My condolences to those who don't want the retirement of r42's).

In the case of the C and G being full length, it will still happen, but in a slower pace, and it may happen sooner on the G.

Let's see what happens.

The R32s aren't going anywhere regardless of the situation at hand. And scrapping the R42s now will only cause the spare factor to drop. 

Most of the proposed swaps are still gonna happen regardless of the stupid cancellation. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

The R32s aren't going anywhere regardless of the situation at hand. And scrapping the R42s now will only cause the spare factor to drop. 

Most of the proposed swaps are still gonna happen regardless of the stupid cancellation. 

Nobody is questioning the r32's. They're staying till the r211's.

And the cancellation of the shutdown, although it was a last minute decision, is not stupid. It's a huge sigh of relief for L train commuters knowing that L trains will still run while the Canarsie tunnel is repaired.

The shutdown cancellation isn't likely to change much, if at all, as far as rolling stock needs go because the (G) still has to get service improvements one way or another.  That's due to ongoing, increased ridership demands, which actually would have been exacerbated by the closure and are now more likely to continue unabated.

The biggest issues the cancellation will raise are probably construction-related, as in MTA making good with contracts they've already committed to.  The operating troops will probably miss out on a lot of overtime, too.

After reading about the proposed new fix, I have to wonder how robust it will be compared with the "fortify" strategy heretofore employed.  The original idea was to protect against another such inundation as well as repair, restore and improve existing, aging and deteriorating facilities that were compromised during Superstorm Sandy in 2012.  MTA could have already made this type of repair at any number of affected locations but seemed to previously question its integrity.

Perhaps technology has advanced in the past five years to an unappreciated degree...

3 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

One quick thing to note: that glitch on the Jamaica bound (Z) program where the destination portion was blank has been fixed.

32781165888_31ed2085cd_b.jpg

The (Z) program was just added from the R160/R143’s to the 179s. The (Z) program is the only program on the Jamaica line the Spells out EXPRESS as opposed to the older program that reads “JAMAICA EXP”

Now that Cuomo prevented a fulltime shutdown, hopefully the TA tells Bombardier to start building some 5 car 179 sets instead of waiting until all the 4 car sets are finished.

This probably won't happen, but I'd love for 3010-3019 to start out their revenue service life's on the Rock Park rush hour specials. One trip uptown, lay up at 207th all day then go back to Rock Park in the PM Rush. Nice and easy workload to see if their fit for passenger service. If they do these runs problem free then put an on the regular (A) .

Also it would be super easy to find😁

Edited by trainfan22

7 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Now that Cuomo prevented a fulltime shutdown, hopefully the TA tells Bombardier to start building some 5 car 179 sets instead of waiting until all the 4 car sets are finished.

This probably won't happen, but I'd love for 3010-3019 to start out their revenue service life's on the Rock Park rush hour specials. One trip uptown, lay up at 207th all day then go back to Rock Park in the PM Rush. Nice and easy workload to see if their fit for passenger service. If they do these runs problem free then put an on the regular (A) .

Did 3010-3019 come back?

13 hours ago, VIP said:

The (Z) program was just added from the R160/R143’s to the 179s. The (Z) program is the only program on the Jamaica line the Spells out EXPRESS as opposed to the older program that reads “JAMAICA EXP”

They should fix the glitch of showing (G) on the LCD on some sets of cars. 

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

I have an impression that 3010-3019 will enter service when Bombardier builds the second 10 car r179, which may be 3020-3029.

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

That would be awesome!

I'm planning to stay in the Rockaways this June, and I would love to catch an R179 on the (A) during the AM or PM rush.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Apparently there's an R179 in route to 207th St according to my family member. He said he spotted a train car wrapped in plastic on the deegan earlier today.

That would be a little strange since they usually don't travel through the Bronx to get to 207 Street.  Nominally they go up Broadway to the 215 gate. 

1 hour ago, m2fwannabe said:

For the first weekday since their November introduction, there were Zero of 32 R-179's on the (C).  Several on J and Z though.

Reported for various technological boo-boos.

Lots and lots of R-32's plus some R-46's out there, though!

Huh, must have happened quickly. Rode a brand new R179 (C) two days ago, and the set was moving perfectly. Nice to see too new to even have ad cards, no less. 

11 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

For the first weekday since their November introduction, there were Zero of 32 R-179's on the (C).  Several on J and Z though.

Reported for various technological boo-boos.

Lots and lots of R-32's plus some R-46's out there, though!

Yep: 

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-metro-r179-mta-train-car-20190108-story.html

Well, it's a good thing that shutdown isn't happening, now is it?

We are no strangers to teething issues here. The 142s were infamous for being in and out of service during the first few years in operation for one reason or another and despite those issues, they would later go on to become some of the best workhorses in the system. With that said, however, it has gotten extremely annoying that a car class delayed by several years due to builder issues can arrive on site and still be defective after such a extended length of time. It's going to look really bad if the test train of 211s arrives before this order is complete.

If there's any consolation, I guess it's a good thing these issues are cropping up now while they're under warranty and not several years later when the costs of repairs would fall solely on us.

Since this order is a certified joke, they should spec the incoming R179s with the new R211 features so when the R211s come, everything has already passed. I'm talking strictly about the open gangways. Maybe two 10 car sets can get the open gangways? They should've done that from the start, since these are basically modified R160s, the next generation subway cars should be all out different. 

2 hours ago, Lance said:

That would delay the order even further. Adding a couple of cars to the order and converting some A cars to B cars are a much easier process than changing the order to make them into the 211-lites.

Gotcha, it's just so stupid how the base order of R211s are gonna be standard, and then options would have the open gangway. They should've down the real testing with this small order. 

I wish I followed up on trains more often. 

It's a shame that R179s are crapping out so early out of the gate, hopefully things can improve sooner than later. I've actually come to enjoy the R179s over the R143/R160s. I can't really put my finger on it, but the interior of the R179 feels more spacious compared to the R160s, which I enjoy.