R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Folks.....ya'll gotta realize that the R179s aren't the ONLY TRAINS that have had issues when they were brand new.....

R142s had similar problems when they were being delivered...it took them years(almost 10 years to be precise) to work out the problems, and now they are the most reliable NTTs in the IRT. R62As(or R62s, I forgot which ones) also had problems when they were brand new. Same for the R46s and some of the other subway cars in the fleet.

Everything has their own issues when they are brand new out of the game......the R142s did, the R143s did, and the R160s did, and a bunch of other subway car fleets did. The R179s are not exempt from that.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Folks.....ya'll gotta realize that the R179s aren't the ONLY TRAINS that have had issues when they were brand new.....

R142s had similar problems when they were being delivered...it took them years(almost 10 years to be precise) to work out the problems, and now they are the most reliable NTTs in the IRT. R62As(or R62s, I forgot which ones) also had problems when they were brand new. Same for the R46s and some of the other subway cars in the fleet.

Everything has their own issues when they are brand new out of the game......the R142s did, the R143s did, and the R160s did, and a bunch of other subway car fleets did. The R179s are not exempt from that.

I think people are just “zeroing” in at the fact that these cars were delivered extremely late. They’re using the delayed order as Ammo to point out flaws in the cars. I’m sure in time, they’ll be fine, and reliable. 

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

The R68s as well. The R32s, because they were so much lighter, initially didn't have enough clearance in the tunnels.

Edited by Union Tpke

1 hour ago, VIP said:

I think people are just “zeroing” in at the fact that these cars were delivered extremely late.

I would know that because I pick on the cars for that reason. Bombardier almost always has delays with orders, specifically NYC.

But I admit the cars are fine, but definitely not my favorite.

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I would know that because I pick on the cars for that reason. Bombardier almost always has delays with orders, specifically NYC.

But I admit the cars are fine, but definitely not my favorite.

That's not true. This is the only delivery that they've actually been late with.....the only mishap was with the R62As, as there were damaged cars that were delivered a year or two later. They were also on-time with the M-7 deliveries.

But, if we're gonna go that route....

Alstom was late with the R160 order by almost a year.
Westinghouse was late with the R68s by a little over a year after failing tests numerous times.
Pullman Standard was late with the full delivery of the R46s by 2-3 years.(when you think about it, the R179s are almost like that, just not with the same problems).

Edited by Cait Sith

3 hours ago, VIP said:

I think people are just “zeroing” in at the fact that these cars were delivered extremely late. They’re using the delayed order as Ammo to point out flaws in the cars. I’m sure in time, they’ll be fine, and reliable. 

In a way, yes. These are two different issues entirely, the fact that their late isn’t obviously good in any way and I don’t respect Bombardier for these mistakes they’ve failed to adapt upon lately (not just in NY). But honestly, all trains have kinks that need to be worked with time, being perfect out of the gate can almost be classified as luck . So with that, it isn’t exactly the end of the world at all.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

On 1/10/2019 at 2:49 PM, Cait Sith said:

The thing is the manufactures hasn't gain any experiences from the past especially R179 is only a newer version of R160. If you take closer look of the interior of R179, there are lots of things that they should have them done better.

8 minutes ago, whz1995 said:

The thing is the manufactures hasn't gain any experiences from the past especially R179 is only a newer version of R160. If you take closer look of the interior of R179, there are lots of things that they should have them done better.

That's not the issue here.  Every class has a slightly different interior. The point with the 179s has been mechanical,  electrical and the Construction of them. 

51 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Their was one set in service on the (C) line today.

Ah, thanks for the info. Any idea if the 179s will be assigned permanently to the C, or if they'll move back to ENY once these kinks are worked out. Additionally, any timeframe for when the pulled cars will go back into service? 

On 1/14/2019 at 11:23 PM, Enjineer said:

Ah, thanks for the info. Any idea if the 179s will be assigned permanently to the C, or if they'll move back to ENY once these kinks are worked out.

Just amateur speculation on my end, but I wouldn't be surprised if the (C) is staying at 480' after all, with the 4-car R179s. But, wouldn't the only other places they could theoretically go be ENY or the (G), where the former already has an abundance of 4-car sets? Again, I could be wrong, but it seems that the Eastern Division will soon have more than enough cars on its hands--and it wouldn't be a shock for the (MTA) to scrap their 600' (C) plans without fair warning.

It will also be interesting to see the 5-car sets running.

29 minutes ago, V886132 said:

Just amateur speculation on my end, but I wouldn't be surprised if the (C) is staying at 480' after all, with the 4-car R179s.

My understanding was that the R32s being moved to the (A), as well as the incoming 5-car R179 sets (to make 10-car trains on the (A)) would push R46s to the (C) for supplemental 600' service, but that the (C) would still have a mix of both 480' and 600' trains. If the R32s and the 10-car R179s can push enough R46s to the (C) from the (A), that would make sense, but I'm not sure whether or not the numbers would work out in that case. 

7 hours ago, Enjineer said:

My understanding was that the R32s being moved to the (A), as well as the incoming 5-car R179 sets (to make 10-car trains on the (A)) would push R46s to the (C) for supplemental 600' service, but that the (C) would still have a mix of both 480' and 600' trains. If the R32s and the 10-car R179s can push enough R46s to the (C) from the (A), that would make sense, but I'm not sure whether or not the numbers would work out in that case. 

That may be modified as a result of Canarsie shutdown  not happening. In fact, the A has been running mostly r46's and the C has been running mostly r32's.

Let's see what happens once all issues on the 8 car r179's have been fixed and all 10 car r179's are in service. But, I wouldn't be surprised if the C keeps some 8 car trains until the r211's. 12 full length trains won't cover the entire C fleet and the C needs more than 17 trains.

As for the G becoming 100% full length this year?? I still see that happening.

7 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

As for the G becoming 100% full length this year?? I still see that happening.

I do too. I remember Byford said even with the Canarsie shutdown up in the air he still wanted to see service improvements like full-length G trains happen regardless.