R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I don't mean to disrespect any transit workers, but the only sources that are 100% credible is what the MTA and the government confirms to the media. Everything else is just on our personal wishes, theories and ideas that may or may not happen, especially now that the Canarsie shutdown is not happening.

in fact, what has been happening to the A, C during the last few weeks is not part of the "original plan", like the return of the 8 car r32's to the C and the A still having at least 80% of it's r46's. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people in this forum, including myself, didn't see that coming.

If the RTO source said they are training (A) crews on how to operate 179s then it's a credible source IMO. When the 160s were coming in crews got trained in the weeks leading up to the 160s debuting on a new line at the time.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I don't mean to disrespect any transit workers, but the only sources that are 100% credible is what the MTA and the government confirms to the media. Everything else is just on our personal wishes, theories and ideas that may or may not happen, especially now that the Canarsie shutdown is not happening.

in fact, what has been happening to the A, C during the last few weeks is not part of the "original plan", like the return of the 8 car r32's to the C and the A still having at least 80% of it's r46's. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people in this forum, including myself, didn't see that coming.

It's not even 80%. It's more like 95% R46s.

The five trainsets of R46s on the (C) are probably back on the (A) now too. Leaving the (C) almost all R32s with whatever R160s that are left on the line in addition to the new R179s that recently were placed into the line's fleet.

Edited by Jemorie

14 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

It's not even 80%. It's more like 95% R46s.

The five trainsets of R46s on the (C) are probably back on the (A) now too. Leaving the (C) almost all R32s with whatever R160s that are left on the line in addition to the new R179s that recently were placed into the line's fleet.

I thought it was that the R46s were being pooled and supplying the A and C (until it hits the quota)

The only reason why the C is mostly R32's is because the R179's that are running on the (C) started having issues. Hence the R32's making up the majority of the (C) fleet until the issues are resolved. Right now only 1 R179 is on the (C).

Even with no shutdown, the (C) is going full length and the (G) is still going 480 feet (8 car trains)

The only difference is that the R32's might not even be needed for the (G) since I doubt they'll increase the headway since there's no shutdown.

The R42's in this case is obviously not going to the (B). If that were the case they would have went straight there instead of being planned to go to 207th.

1 minute ago, R32 3838 said:

The only reason why the C is mostly R32's is because the R179's that are running on the (C) started having issues. Hence the R32's making up the majority of the (C) fleet until the issues are resolved. Right now only 1 R179 is on the (C).

Even with no shutdown, the (C) is going full length and the (G) is still going 480 feet (8 car trains)

The only difference is that the R32's might not even be needed for the (G) since I doubt they'll increase the headway since there's no shutdown.

The R42's in this case is obviously not going to the (B). If that were the case they would have went straight there instead of being planned to go to 207th.

Is that the whole reason why there were rumors surfacing about an additional two B cars for the R179 order?

For those who are still wishing for the r42's to stay in service "forever" read this quote from the Daily news article about the ongoing issues on the r179's:

"NYC Transit, meanwhile, is desperate to get the cars running on the tracks so that it can retire the oldest of the 20th-century model cars still in operation, called R32."

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-metro-r179-mta-train-car-20190108-story.html

Keep in mind that the r32's are in much better shape than the r42's and the chances of the r32's staying in service until the r211's are higher than the r42's.

But again, the MTA has the final word.

56 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

I think given the B division fleet shortages, the R42s might just stay even as surplus cars just for worst-case scenarios and rainy days. I don't think anything's getting scrapped until the 211s begin to arrive. 

I have the same impression. They won't get scrapped, but they won't see a lot of passenger service once all r179's are in service.

I don't think it's a good idea for a subway car to get scrapped immediately after retirement. Rumor has it that the r68's had so many issues during the first few months of service in the 1980's that some trains that were already retired had to be put back in service. I don't know if that was true, but the MTA should use the r179 issue as a lesson and a warning. 

On 1/9/2019 at 5:18 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Gotcha, it's just so stupid how the base order of R211s are gonna be standard, and then options would have the open gangway. They should've down the real testing with this small order. 

I wish I followed up on trains more often. 

It’s not really stupid at all. MTA isn’t gonna order trains they haven’t tested so thats why there are 2 open-gangway test trains with the base order. 

Not sure what you mean about “this small order” or what you are referring to. 

1 hour ago, East New York said:

It’s not really stupid at all. MTA isn’t gonna order trains they haven’t tested so thats why there are 2 open-gangway test trains with the base order. 

Not sure what you mean about “this small order” or what you are referring to. 

I believe the r179 is what he's referring to,  given that's it's roughly 300 or so cars, even though the only other "small orders" since the NTT era began has been the 143 and 188.

On 1/9/2019 at 5:18 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Gotcha, it's just so stupid how the base order of R211s are gonna be standard, and then options would have the open gangway. They should've down the real testing with this small order. 

I wish I followed up on trains more often. 

Now if you're referring to them testing open gangways with the 179s,  keep in mind that 1)this order is a few years late with delivery and 2) these cars were designed and ordered before the decision to test open gangway cars.  And as ENY stated,  they aren't going to order something they haven't tested yet.  They learned their lessons with ATO on the R44 order,  the Rockwell articulated trucks on the R46 order and the infamous Grumman 870 bus. 

This is why the current NTT concept was first tested with the R110A/B, the Low Floor bus with the Orion VI and Nova LFS,  and all these all-electric buses we've been testing out for the last few years. 

8 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

What about the five sets of R46s on the line? Last week, I saw like two I think. And almost every (A) was an R46. Haven't seen one on the (C) this week so far.

Edited by Jemorie

2 hours ago, Jemorie said:

What about the five sets of R46s on the line? Last week, I saw like two I think. And almost every (A) was an R46. Haven't seen one on the (C) this week so far.

Me neither and what is even more weird is that the r32's are running as 8 car trains and there are already enough r32's on 207 that can be converted into 10 car trains.

Speaking of the #10yearchallenge lol!!! it's been 10 years that the A, E, F, R, V and other lines were swamped for several months with r40's, slants, and r42's as a result of the r160's being delivered, tested and being put in service. It's possible that a  similar pattern is happening on the A, and C due to the r179's.

5 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Speaking of the #10yearchallenge lol!!! it's been 10 years that the A, E, F, R, V and other lines were swamped for several months with r40's, slants, and r42's as a result of the r160's being delivered, tested and being put in service. It's possible that a  similar pattern is happening on the A, and C due to the r179's.

Except only 3 lines are affected... 

18 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

It's likely the R46's would get pushed out instead of the R32's and R42's.

It would make sense due to the fact CIY is already getting R46's from Jamaica for an exchange for R160's and the fact the (B) will get R46's by default.

They rather have all the old shit at 207th so once retirement comes, straight to Newark nj for scrapping.

207 Street R46’s aren’t going ANYWHERE. Its the Jamaica’s R46’s that will be transferred to Coney Island in exchange for their R160’s EXCEPT their Siemens Sets. When ALL the 10-car R179’s perform to standard, Regularly; then the R42’s will start to get scrapped. All 222 R32’s are staying until R211’s start running in REGULAR passenger service. 

1 hour ago, VIP said:

207 Street R46’s aren’t going ANYWHERE. Its the Jamaica’s R46’s that will be transferred to Coney Island in exchange for their R160’s EXCEPT their Siemens Sets. When ALL the 10-car R179’s perform to standard, Regularly; then the R42’s will start to get scrapped. All 222 R32’s are staying until R211’s start running in REGULAR passenger service. 

CI is still going to need extra cars, if the R32's and 42's are staying at 207th, the R179 is gonna have to push out something. The R46's are obvious but it's likely only a few sets would go. If the (G) doesn't have enough 8 car tech trains then some R32's will have to get transferred as well. 

Well guys, the R42s last ran on the (A) in the Summers of 2011 and 2012 when they did the full swap between the (A) and (C) instead of this "swap" it is now. Btw, I hope the R42s stay on the (J)(Z) a while longer for the moment. I still have yet to get some final pics and vids of them on that line before they're pushed out of ENY for good.

Edited by Jemorie