R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I still don’t understand why 143’s roam on the (J) and (Z). It confuses me as to why there’re there in the first place. (Aside from the fact that 143’s are housed at ENY)

I agree. They have more than enough R160’s and R179’s at this point.

Lol that R179 ended up doing a battery run via fulton street express to euclid. It was so weird cuz it was terminating on the express track. The (A) right behind came up right behind and switched over to the normal (C) terminating track. Like y not just send it over the switch in the first place instead of unnecessarily delaying train service. So many ppl were shocked it was running express. One lady got on at Bway Jct expecting to go to Liberty but nope. Uptown (A) and (C) also did a switcheroo, (C) on the express and (A) pulled in on the local and the Liberty Ave passenger was fed up as it was wtf is going on?

1 hour ago, m2fwannabe said:

Still just one R-179 train on (C) as we close the week, but NO R-46's (plus one R-160, beau coup R-32's).  Several R-179's on (J) and (Z).

R-179's on (J) and (Z), January 18:  Six for the road, one in reserve.  About a half dozen R-160's & four wandering R-143's.  Three MK R-42's.

The R-143's are used to fill holes in the requirement, just like the R-42's.  Not enough R-160A-1's to stretch among all three lines, but more R-143's than needed just for the Canarsie Line.  Especially so given there are only those "special" (CBTC) 64 that can run on (L) and the (M) can only use R-160's.  DCE approved their use as an exception a few years ago, understanding that the interior strip maps have to be disregarded by Conductors.

10 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Lol that R179 ended up doing a battery run via fulton street express to euclid. It was so weird cuz it was terminating on the express track. The (A) right behind came up right behind and switched over to the normal (C) terminating track. Like y not just send it over the switch in the first place instead of unnecessarily delaying train service. So many ppl were shocked it was running express. One lady got on at Bway Jct expecting to go to Liberty but nope. Uptown (A) and (C) also did a switcheroo, (C) on the express and (A) pulled in on the local and the Liberty Ave passenger was fed up as it was wtf is going on?

I hear complaints like that coming from my friends at school. Even some staff complain about that too. 

11 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

R-179's on (J) and (Z), January 18:  Six for the road, one in reserve.  About a half dozen R-160's & four wandering R-143's.  Three MK R-42's.

How many R179s total are in regular passenger service and spares combined to be exact?

16 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Hope I can get another ride on one before they retire... I hope they are still here by March, but I would expect them to go into storage or be retired by May or June (assuming that they will go through with the same plans as if the shutdown happened).

I don't think they'll retire until the R179 order is complete

Looks good except for two things:  1) I have a VERY reliable update (including a new inventory list, dated January 11, 2019) that now shows 318 cars total, 130 5's & 188 4's.  2) Deliveries projected for completion in mid August, not September.

Not sure which is correct, but in any event there are still short term troubles.

Still no movement on restoring more of the C train fleet to service.

Edited by East New York

2 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

Looks good except for two things:  1) I have a VERY reliable update (including a new inventory list, dated January 11, 2019) that now shows 318 cars total, 130 5's & 188 4's.  2) Deliveries projected for completion in mid August, not September.

Not sure which is correct, but in any event there are still short term troubles.

I have heard a rumor that it was changed to 318. I would be willing to add more funding to the order to add more 5-car sets.

10 hours ago, Jemorie said:

How many R179s total are in regular passenger service and spares combined to be exact?

There are 12 trains assigned to East New York (J)(Z) (96 cars) and 4 to 207 Street (C) (32 cars).

Seven R179's were running on the (J)(Z) on January 18.

Same date, there were 28 unaccepted R-179's on NYCT property.  156 total.

3 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Hope I can get another ride on one before they retire... I hope they are still here by March, but I would expect them to go into storage or be retired by May or June (assuming that they will go through with the same plans as if the shutdown happened).

3 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I don't think they'll retire until the R179 order is complete

The R42s are definitely not leaving anytime soon. And they will definitely still be here through March. 

Plus, there's no official confirmation yet of them retiring so the best we can do is wait. 

3 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

R42's are staying for a good while, they won't be going anywhere.

As I understood it, really nothing is getting retired until the R211s begin arriving, as increased demand and car shortages have made it necessary to keep any and all cars they can run on the B division in service. 

2 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

Inventory list? Is this like a roster or something like that?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=undefined&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwj85Lvly_vfAhUrh-AKHSXxDoYQzPwBCAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com%2Fnew-york%2Fny-metro-r179-mta-train-car-20190108-story.html&psig=AOvVaw3ZClXsSLQqprGzkeLAvuq5&ust=1548047318779421

This article may interest some of you I've noticed that the 179s have had their fair share of consistent breakdowns and defects. I am aware of the possibility that can just be an effect of the "New Subway Car Phase" but I would like to shed some light on what is going on specifically. My experiences with the 179s personally haven't been really good. 

Edited by B46 via Utica