R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Going back to the (C) assignment, the R160A 4 car sets from ENY were there as a summer swap but when the next summer swap was over, the 160s stayed longer to cover-service for the 179 arrivals iirc

Edited by Calvin

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol at this "source".....quite a lot of us know who that is. No need to be cryptic about it, it's not even exclusive information anymore. Just say that it'll be in service and be done with it, no need to drag it on.

Edited by Cait Sith

Yikes if anybody tries to look for it on Sunday, I'm only saying that because the (A) is the longest line in the system you could be waiting forever for that damn train to show up. Lets hope Bombardier delivers some more 5 car sets soon so the (A) can have quite a few 179s sets instead of only 3010 - 3019 for a few months if they fellow the original delivery plan.

When the 4 car sets debuted the J wasn't running into the Manhattan due to a G.O so that made it much easier to find. I'm pretty sure someone will be giving frequent updates on those facebook railfan groups so maybe it won't be hard to find for most fanners...

14 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Lol at this "source".....quite a lot of us know who that is. No need to be cryptic about it, it's not even exclusive information anymore. Just say that it'll be in service and be done with it, no need to drag it on.

Everyone's covering their asses in case it doesn't happen. Can't be blamed if they were just reporting what someone else told them. Its like CNN with a Buzzfeed article and about just as hilarious.

On 2/6/2019 at 8:12 PM, Calvin said:
On 2/6/2019 at 12:08 AM, Calvin said:

Still doing burn in for now. Not yet in passenger service. 

Mentioned as of now, 3190-7 is in-service. 6 sets in-total for now on the (C) 

There's still no confirmation on the delivery of 3206-09.  One train is now burning in for (C):  3198-3205.

Deliveries still seem to be on hold.  This will impact progress on the remainder and change the schedule again.  (=MORE "free" cars?)

Pilot train aside, it looks like the 5-car R-179's ((A)) won't be around until well into the spring now.  Deliveries completed in early fall.

Don't know yet as it depends on resolution of these production delays (in turn on better reliability of the product from Bombardier).

1 hour ago, m2fwannabe said:

There's still no confirmation on the delivery of 3206-09.  One train is now burning in for (C):  3198-3205.

Deliveries still seem to be on hold.  This will impact progress on the remainder and change the schedule again.  (=MORE "free" cars?)

Pilot train aside, it looks like the 5-car R-179's ((A)) won't be around until well into the spring now.  Deliveries completed in early fall.

Don't know yet as it depends on resolution of these production delays (in turn on better reliability of the product from Bombardier).

They're not on hold, cars are coming in. 3210-13 just got delivered.

2 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

Deliveries have resumed. It's just that railfans are just more focused on what's happening with the r179's on the A and C trains.

I have an impression that some of the mods done to the 10 car r179's may be related to CTBC. 8th Avenue will be CTBC and only r160's, r179's and r211's will run through 8th Avenue once it's CTBC.

Supposedly the 10 car 179 will start running on the A line starting Sunday, how do I know? I work the A line. The hours were not confirmed but it MAY be all 3 tours with supervision on board to help familiarize the operating crews. & and when I write "Supposedly" it's because I'll believe it when I see it and things always change in transit. Thank you, have a nice day. 

edit: Ok it's confirmed that the train will be running on the Am & PM tour coming out of pitkin yard. 

Edited by Dan05979

2 hours ago, Dan05979 said:

Supposedly the 10 car 179 will start running on the A line starting Sunday, how do I know? I work the A line. The hours were not confirmed but it MAY be all 3 tours with supervision on board to help familiarize the operating crews. & and when I write "Supposedly" it's because I'll believe it when I see it and things always change in transit. Thank you, have a nice day. 

edit: Ok it's confirmed that the train will be running on the Am & PM tour coming out of pitkin yard. 

All three branches? Well two techincally...

5 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Is it safe to assume first trip will start at 207? So is that like a Long deadhead? Or maybe on the Rockaway/Ozone Park because it’s closer to Pitkin Yard?

No way will it deadhead all the way to 207th from Pikin, it will most likely start at either Lefferts or Mott Ave. There's no (A) line runs that start at Eucild on Sundays (If there is, they aren't shown on the public timetable on the TA's website)

11 hours ago, R32 3838 said:
13 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

They're not on hold, cars are coming in. 3210-13 just got delivered.

Thank you!

The vendor identification report still only showed deliveries up to 3205 as of February 6.  It could be 3206-09 have not yet been in final assembly and/or static testing at Pitkin.

The latest schedule that I know of shows 4-car sets (last but not least 3070-73, finally?!?) being delivered through the end of March, then the first of the "production" 5-car sets showing up in the first week of April.  Could be that final 4-car link will be put off again, and the third 5-car set substituted.

Depending on how well they test, it would be 4-6 weeks before the next of the 5-car sets enter revenue service after that.  Sounds like Mothers' Day or thereabouts.

If there were no more delays (unlikely) the entire 318-car fleet would be in service on or about October 1.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

No way will it deadhead all the way to 207th from Pikin, it will most likely start at either Lefferts or Mott Ave. There's no (A) line runs that start at Eucild on Sundays (If there is, they aren't shown on the public timetable on the TA's website)

Knowing how overly cautious and restrictive supervision is, the debut of the first 10-car set of R179s will most likely stay away from The Rockaways on Sunday. If anything happens, better it not be over an open body of water far removed from the rest of the system/hard to reach.

3 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Knowing how overly cautious and restrictive supervision is, the debut of the first 10-car set of R179s will most likely stay away from The Rockaways on Sunday. If anything happens, better it not be over an open body of water far removed from the rest of the system/hard to reach.

This post..... Makes me facepalm so hard!  

As former train crew,  this is absolutely ridiculous. Like nothing's ever happened there before and can't do anything outside of say, 4 feet of snow.  Like they've never tested new techs out in Rockaway before.  

If it runs on Sunday,  or anyday,  best believe it will go to rockaway.  

yes there is, around sunday morning at 7ish there is a pitkin put in that goes in service from euclid to lefferts. that may be the 1st run of the 179. Am i sure? No. deadheading to 207? No. Deadheading to FR on a sunday? highly doubt it. 

Theres three options 1)it could be an Xtra put-in 2)deadhead to Mott/lefferts or 3)be sent to 207 a day or so prior to it running.  And it doesn't have to be restricted to Pitkin BTW.   Pitkin just happens to be closer to the Flats for testing,  stores most of the C trains for service and does have Crews trained but so does 207. 

Wasn’t the first 4-car R179 part of the schedule? I doubt MTA would waste money on doing an xtra put-in. But if they do move it to 207 a day prior, that works too. Keep ur eyes peeled! LOL 

There are 3 trains that head north from Euclid to Lefferts departing at Euclid at 6:45, 7:26 and 7:45 respectively.