R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

24 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

Dead ass? Not that I'm too surprised because they're the system's newest cars and the R32s are the oldest. Hence why the R32s barely go beyond 40 from my experiences.

Seriously. I had one of my fellow railfans use the speedometer app on his phone and it read 48 mph

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y’all really foaming over 48-49 mph speed? That’s slow. 55+ is fast. I think the flats can support 55+ mph on that stretch. And for those of y’all arguing in regards to R179’s on the (A) ... drink water and be patient, there’s plenty more of those R160 look alikes coming along. 

Anything above fifty isn't possible on trains running outside of CBTC territory unless you have a downgrade. 55 is the max on flat track w/ CBTC. 

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

Dead ass? Not that I'm too surprised because they're the system's newest cars and the R32s are the oldest. Hence why the R32s barely go beyond 40 from my experiences.

It isn't age so much as traction control. Trains on the system adhere to a traction/distance curve (to ensure signal safety, among other things) to which DC traction is mechanically set (which usually means its set below). AC traction (think NTTs) is set to it too, but it modulates input to match the curve exactly, meaning you will max out your speed. 

Edited by RR503

21 minutes ago, VIP said:

Y’all really foaming over 48-49 mph speed? That’s slow. 55+ is fast. I think the flats can support 55+ mph on that stretch. And for those of y’all arguing in regards to R179’s on the (A) ... drink water and be patient, there’s plenty more of those R160 look alikes coming along. 

At least A trains riders are happy about it. It's the riders that complain about the A always having the oldest cars in the system. Some of the railfans on the other hand, wish that the r32's and r42's stay in service forever and ever and ever. And yes, once all 10 car r179's are in service, plus the r211's, and 8th Avenue becomes CTBC, the A will become one of the best lines in the system, just like the L.

21 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

once all 10 car r179's are in service, plus the r211's, and 8th Avenue becomes CTBC, the A will become one of the best lines in the system, just like the L.

Lol if you say so. I can almost guarantee you that service on the (A) will still remain fairly the same as it is today - train bunching and overcrowding which can cause irregular service and exceptionally longer waits sometimes. It doesn't make sense for you to compare it to the (L) either. The (L) is one of the system's shortest lines and is completely isolated throughout its run, so the more on time it is. However, even on the (L), there are exceptions, such as high ridership in that people can hold car doors regardless of how packed the train is, which in turn causes delays and bunching, and high mechanical failures, as any CBTC related problem counts as a breakdown for the R143s as well. Regardless, trains breaking down is the least of any subway line's delays. I think the R143s have the same breakdown rates as the R46s, but even I wouldn't be so quick to compare the two car types.

Oh and btw, in 2011-2015, local news media reports such as NY Times, Riders Alliance, NY1 News, etc complained about the (C), not the (A). Look them up. They're part of the reason why the (MTA) did that (C) and (J) car fleet swap in the first place too. So I don't know where you still get that "A train riders always complain about having the oldest cars in the system" nonsense from lol.

Edited by Jemorie

19 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

Lol if you say so. I can almost guarantee you that service on the (A) will still remain fairly the same as it is today - train bunching, and overcrowding which causes irregular service sometimes. It doesn't make sense for you to compare it to the (L) either. The (L) is one of the system's shortest lines and is completely isolated throughout its run, so the more on time it is. However, even on the (L), there are exceptions, such as high ridership and high mechanical failures, as any CBTC related problem counts as a breakdown for the R143s as well. Regardless, trains breaking down is the least of any subway line's delays.

The reason for the comparison is because the L is overcrowded and is already CTBC. And yes, the L is a shorter line, but the A has an advantage over the L though. Whenever, there is any issue on the L, the L is suspended, but the A only gets partially suspended  either above 168th Street or below Euclid Avenue if it's a serious issue (such as fires, passenger injury/death).  Otherwise, the A just gets rerouted. Hopefully, 8th Avenue CBTC will help increase frequency and reliability on the A.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

32 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

At least A trains riders are happy about it. It's the riders that complain about the A always having the oldest cars in the system. Some of the railfans on the other hand, wish that the r32's and r42's stay in service forever and ever and ever. And yes, once all 10 car r179's are in service, plus the r211's, and 8th Avenue becomes CTBC, the A will become one of the best lines in the system, just like the L.

No it won't, not by a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng shot.

28 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

MjeQcjL.png

*If* the (A) is fixed, it will be through better merge operation, better scheduling, revised service patterns and dwell control, not through shifting the deck chairs on the fleet. The only truly relevant impact that the 179s have is in their marginally improved acceleration performance, but that's really f*cking marginal. (Though, to be fair, if they displace the 46s and not 32s, then you will see a small impact on dwells). 

Edited by RR503

8 hours ago, RR503 said:

MjeQcjL.png

*If* the (A) is fixed, it will be through better merge operation, better scheduling, revised service patterns and dwell control, not through shifting the deck chairs on the fleet. The only truly relevant impact that the 179s have is in their marginally improved acceleration performance, but that's really f*cking marginal. (Though, to be fair, if they displace the 46s and not 32s, then you will see a small impact on dwells). 

Hopefully, 8th Avenue CBTC will make these changes possible.

11 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Heard it's oos due to foamers locking the storm doors. Not sure how true that is.

TA were going to take it OOS during that day, I was there. There was a dispute in b/t the first & second cars because of some foamer shenanigan & called the first car "the foamer car" because of how obnoxious some people were & screaming at the same time each time the R179 A reached a station and/or terminated. 

40 minutes ago, DaPr03 said:

TA were going to take it OOS during that day, I was there. There was a dispute in b/t the first & second cars because of some foamer shenanigan & called the first car "the foamer car" because of how obnoxious some people were & screaming at the same time each time the R179 A reached a station and/or terminated. 

That is why I am glad I was on the second and third trips.

If you look at it, the R46's are the reason the (A) runs like garbage due to the amount of doors. If all 14 sets of R179's were to be on the (A) along with 8-10 R32's and the rest being R46's. It would be the perfect balance and dwell times would be reduced. 

75 foot cars need to go, they're becoming a liability when it comes to crowd control. The (B) imo is the only line that isn't impacted as much due to its ridership vs. The (A)(D)(F) and (R) lines.

The (F) was horrible because of the R46's dwell time, once the line became dominated by R160's those delays dropped. 

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

If you look at it, the R46's are the reason the (A) runs like garbage due to the amount of doors. If all 14 sets of R179's were to be on the (A) along with 8-10 R32's and the rest being R46's. It would be the perfect balance and dwell times would be reduced. 

75 foot cars need to go, they're becoming a liability when it comes to crowd control. The (B) imo is the only line that isn't impacted as much due to its ridership vs. The (A)(D)(F) and (R) lines.

The (F) was horrible because of the R46's dwell time, once the line became dominated by R160's those delays dropped. 

This is why i was in favor of two more door panels per side when they were flirting with the idea of making the 179s and/or 211s 75 footers. 5 double panel door openings per side would've helped 75' cars a lot. And would've given the same amount as 60' 10-car consists 

I encourage those who are not railfaning to go to YouTube and check out all the videos posted on the r179 passenger testing on the A and most importantly read all the comments included in many of the videos. Many A train riders have been posting comments about the r179's.

PS: Many people like to argue, but don't like to read.

NTT 's won't improve overall subway service, and the N is an example. However, they are needed for CBTC and like it or not, the A will become fully NTT 's within the next few years. Why?? Because 8th Avenue will become CBTC and it's CBTC that will improve service on the A and other lines throughout the system. That's what I 've been trying to say in previous posts.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

I hope to catch an R179 on the (A) when I make my next trip to New York either in June or July.  I enjoyed riding one last summer on the (J).  I'm planning to stay in the Rockaways when I return.  I'm fine with catching an R46 on the (A) as well because I like their seats where you sit by the window without twisting your neck around to look outside.

13 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I encourage those who are not railfaning to go to YouTube and check out all the videos posted on the r179 passenger testing on the A and most importantly read all the comments included in many of the videos. Many A train riders have been posting comments about the r179's.

PS: Many people like to argue, but don't like to read.

NTT 's won't improve overall subway service, and the N is an example. However, they are needed for CBTC and like it or not, the A will become fully NTT 's within the next few years. Why?? Because 8th Avenue will become CBTC and it's CBTC that will improve service on the A and other lines throughout the system.

So far I’ve heard riders say, “oh we got the new (C) trains” and a couple of “this isn’t the usual, this gotta be some test for the (C)” and “wow fresh trains, i hope the A keeps these” Most riders who rode or saw it thinks/thought its a (C) train or test train for a different line. 

15 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Lol if you say so. I can almost guarantee you that service on the (A) will still remain fairly the same as it is today - train bunching and overcrowding which can cause irregular service and exceptionally longer waits sometimes. It doesn't make sense for you to compare it to the (L) either. The (L) is one of the system's shortest lines and is completely isolated throughout its run, so the more on time it is. However, even on the (L), there are exceptions, such as high ridership in that people can hold car doors regardless of how packed the train is, which in turn causes delays and bunching, and high mechanical failures, as any CBTC related problem counts as a breakdown for the R143s as well. Regardless, trains breaking down is the least of any subway line's delays. I think the R143s have the same breakdown rates as the R46s, but even I wouldn't be so quick to compare the two car types.

Oh and btw, in 2011-2015, local news media reports such as NY Times, Riders Alliance, NY1 News, etc complained about the (C), not the (A). Look them up. They're part of the reason why the (MTA) did that (C) and (J) car fleet swap in the first place too. So I don't know where you still get that "A train riders always complain about having the oldest cars in the system" nonsense from lol.

Sorry, but as an (A) Rider who lives a neighborhood where everyone else is also an (A) Rider- this is incorrect. We do notice the ancient trains and we do complain amongst ourselves about how nasty we are.

Most of the "oldest train in the fleet" complaints came after the (C) got R160s. Everyone wondered why the local train had better trains than the express. Especially when the express had trains that smelled horrific and had non of the new technologies. Obviously us railfand know it's because they were 8-car and not 10-car- but everyday riders  do not notice that. For a time we did (and I think we still do have) the oldest train fleet.

The Ozone Park riders, at the least, are pretty visual. Don't think we don't notice those shiny, yellow poled, newly painted (E) trains.

We are ecstatic that the (A) got that R179!!!!

2 minutes ago, MrQuesada said:

Sorry, but as an (A) Rider who lives a neighborhood where everyone else is also an (A) Rider- this is incorrect. We do notice the ancient trains and we do complain amongst ourselves about how nasty we are.

Most of the "oldest train in the fleet" complaints came after the (C) got R160s. Everyone wondered why the local train had better trains than the express. Especially when the express had trains that smelled horrific and had non of the new technologies. Obviously us railfand know it's because they were 8-car and not 10-car- but everyday riders  do not notice that. For a time we did (and I think we still do have) the oldest train fleet.

The Ozone Park riders, at the least, are pretty visual. Don't think we don't notice those shiny, yellow poled, newly painted (E) trains.

We are ecstatic that the (A) got that R179!!!!

I’ve heard passengers at West 4 Street comment on the cuomo (E) trains then look at the East New York R160’s on the (C) and say “I don’t Understand why we still have these cars, the (A) is the most used and known line in New York”