R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, MrQuesada said:

Sorry, but as an (A) Rider who lives a neighborhood where everyone else is also an (A) Rider- this is incorrect. We do notice the ancient trains and we do complain amongst ourselves about how nasty we are.

Most of the "oldest train in the fleet" complaints came after the (C) got R160s. Everyone wondered why the local train had better trains than the express. Especially when the express had trains that smelled horrific and had non of the new technologies. Obviously us railfand know it's because they were 8-car and not 10-car- but everyday riders  do not notice that. For a time we did (and I think we still do have) the oldest train fleet.

The Ozone Park riders, at the least, are pretty visual. Don't think we don't notice those shiny, yellow poled, newly painted (E) trains.

We are ecstatic that the (A) got that R179!!!!

No. Most of the “oldest trains in the subway system” complaints came before the (C) got the R160s, albeit permanently. Keep in mind that the (C) was rated the worst line in the system by the Straphangers Campaign in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012. The NY Times, NY Daily News, NY1 News, Eyewitness News, and the Riders Alliance all raised the attention. You can look them up. It died down as soon as the R160s were kept permanent on the (C) (Summers 2013 & 2014 were only temporary) starting from Summer 2015 (till recently). There hasn’t been much complaints about the R32s nowadays. The Riders Alliance in 2014 also gathered up (A) & (C) riders to plead with the (MTA) to keep the R160s on the latter and also to make a full line review for both lines, which was released late in 2015. You can check. (A) riders also weren’t or aren’t as loud and bombastic compared to (C) riders because they know there are other lines that use R46s as well, and the fact that the (A) doesn’t get talked about as much in local news media with a few exceptions (YouTube and Facebook do not count btw, this is what subwaycommuter was trying to say in his posts) . But yeah, it’s possible they sometimes wonder to themselves of why the (C) and the (E) got new cars compared to their own line.

As for the (A), I’m not saying it can’t get new cars. I’m just saying subwaycommuter’s most recent post about the (A) going to be improved with new cars and CBTC is not totally correct, just in certain aspects, yes. And thing is, CBTC doesn’t really solve much other than get trains much more closer together which can lead to delays and congestion all over. Every line has aging signals that are bound to need replacing anyway. In other words, CBTC is the modern tech to eventually make up the subway’s signaling system.

37 minutes ago, Evan the Tourist said:

I hope to catch an R179 on the (A) when I make my next trip to New York either in June or July.  I enjoyed riding one last summer on the (J).  I'm planning to stay in the Rockaways when I return.  I'm fine with catching an R46 on the (A) as well because I like their seats where you sit by the window without twisting your neck around to look outside.

Yo deadass , that window seat be blessing , especially on the 68’s

4 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

My footage from yesterday, including the very first run of the train in customer service - 6:45am Euclid to Lefferts:

You actually ended up taking a vid of my train pulling out at Grant. Nice job with it (and what equipment did you use to keep the video stable?)

1 hour ago, mine248 said:

You actually ended up taking a vid of my train pulling out at Grant. Nice job with it (and what equipment did you use to keep the video stable?)

Thanks!! For these shots, I used a GoPro Hero 7 Black, which has good digital image stabilization. I also do very heavy post processing for all my videos, which includes additional digital stabilization.  

r179 A train was at 168th Street heading downtown at 6:08pm.

Believe it or not, I caught it unexpectedly, when I was leaving from my doctor 's appointment at Columbia Presbyterian.

Lucky me!! Lol!!!!

Can anyone tell me how to upload pics in this site???? I took a couple of pics

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

23 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Can anyone tell me how to upload pics in this site???? I took a couple of pics

@subwaycommuter1983

You can upload photos via the + Create option right next to your account at the top of the webpage. Click there to upload a gallery image.

You can also upload your images to a hosting site, such as Flickr. Once you've logged in and uploaded photos (after making an account), copy and paste the URL code into your post.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

I caught the R179 on the (A) by luck today at 59th street going towards Far Rockaway, but yo some of these formers are crazy. A bunch of them in the last car were jumping around, stomping, hitting the train wall and etc. I just don’t understand why some just can’t ride the train and be civil. 

8 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I caught the R179 on the (A) by luck today at 59th street going towards Far Rockaway, but yo some of these formers are crazy. A bunch of them in the last car were jumping around, stomping, hitting the train wall and etc. I just don’t understand why some just can’t ride the train and be civil. 

I was in the middle from 207 to Jay St, I saw some fans along the way when looking out of the windows.

43 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

@subwaycommuter1983

You can upload photos via the + Create option right next to your account at the top of the webpage. Click there to upload a gallery image.

You can also upload your images to a hosting site, such as Flickr. Once you've logged in and uploaded photos (after making an account), copy and paste the URL code into your post.

I just uploaded the pics on the rapid transit gallery images. They are titled "r179 A train at 168th Street". Thanks. 

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Believe it or not, I caught it unexpectedly, when I was leaving from my doctor 's appointment at Columbia Presbyterian.

Now picture this.....

You have an interview today. You go to PABT and get off there. After the interview, you feel like the interview didn't really go well so you decide to go straight home.

And the first train you see is the R179 A.

14 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Now picture this.....

You have an interview today. You go to PABT and get off there. After the interview, you feel like the interview didn't really go well so you decide to go straight home.

I still consider it good luck. A bad interview doesn't always mean anything. Sometimes the interviewer sucks at interviewing and the person still gets hired. Lol!!! 👍

37 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I was on the middle of the train and I didn't notice anything, but I saw a few surprised commuters in the platform.

As to all the railfans, please be careful and behave yourselves. We need to keep the trains running and your safety and cooperation is important.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Lucky me!! Lol!!!!

49 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Now picture this.....

Now picture THIS...

You get off of the (B) at 125th and decide to take the (A) to head to Brooklyn, and the first train you get is the R179 (A), but it's way too packed and you can't even get your foot through the door and you have to let it go, meaning that you miss out on a nice, brand new 40 minute ride to school :(

However, I got on the (D) that was right behind it, transferred to the (F) at West 4th, and somehow caught the R179 (A) again at Jay Street 😂

Why do I find videos of people locking the damn storm doors online? Pisses me off and I know it's clearly not everyone but a few in the bunch that makes it suck for everyone. Also, please don't hold the doors when trying to get EXCLUSIVES and all that. You just make the lives of the train crew much worse. I hear repeated announcements to let go of the doors from the conductors when they are trying to close the doors. God Forbid something happens to you and you were just trying to get a good picture. Get off the train and let it go. Is it that hard?

11 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Why do I find videos of people locking the damn storm doors online? Pisses me off and I know it's clearly not everyone but a few in the bunch that makes it suck for everyone. Also, please don't hold the doors when trying to get EXCLUSIVES and all that. You just make the lives of the train crew much worse. I hear repeated announcements to let go of the doors from the conductors when they are trying to close the doors. God Forbid something happens to you and you were just trying to get a good picture. Get off the train and let it go. Is it that hard?

Doors were being held at Canal St S/B when it was going to Far Rockaway, they kept opening & closing for 1-3 minutes. People kept looking at the doors & were mad, I could tell the conductor & train operator were mad too because 2-3 employees had to enter the conductor cab to check what was going on.

12 minutes ago, DaPr03 said:

Doors were being held at Canal St S/B when it was going to Far Rockaway, they kept opening & closing for 1-3 minutes. People kept looking at the doors & were mad, I could tell the conductor & train operator were mad too because 2-3 employees had to enter the conductor cab to check what was going on.

I remember that, I was in the last car when it happened. The doors must of opened and closed about 8 times. I was getting worried because I thought the whole train would have to be taken out of service. And it ended up getting taken out of service anyway for a different problem.

In general riding on the R179 (A) was refreshing from all the R32’s and R46’s. It was great to hear some announcements on the (A)  and actual working electronic signs. Those R46’s especially the ones from Jamaica always have broken signs. 

1 hour ago, DaPr03 said:

Broken windshield on a door on 3016, taken OOS @ Far Rockaway. It'll probably be repaired & quickly put into service again.

WTH??? I guess a few undercover cops are going to be needed on that train to handle these obnoxious teens who I doubt that they're part of this forum. Yes, it's cool to railfan as long as it's done in a safe manner and without disrupting people's commute. So please if anyone knows who these obnoxious teens are, please tell them to take it easy and calm down!!!!