R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Y2Julio's post, 696 on this thread, page 35. I copied/pasted directly from that.

And you didn't check the source link. Of course, because nothing in the actual URL link states a specific order breakdown. We will just have to wait and see what happens, or if any official news comes out about the breakdown.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The original plan is written down as I stated. Mostly 5-car sets. The idea that this has changed seems mostly like rumors as I read this thread. I've yet to see anything that states that it has changed. I go along with the argument of flexibility and long-term use for these trains. The C needs a system where you can take away 120 feet of a consist or use a full 600 feet if so desired over it's own cars where the lines that share its platforms, all of its platforms are 600 feet. Catering the cars for the C seems very short-sighted especially for a line that hasn't been historically prioritized.

And you didn't check the source link. Of course, because nothing in the actual URL link states a specific order breakdown. We will just have to wait and see what happens, or if any official news comes out about the breakdown.

No where in that link does anything say that there will be 50 five car sets and 10 four car sets. I'm banking more on the people with ACTUAL inside information. So unless someone can produce recent textual evidence that the order is indeed for 50 five car sets and 10 4 car sets, then we're still scheduled for 260 cars in 4 car sets and the remaining 40 cars in 5 car sets.

The text in my post was sourced from an intranet NYCT site which I'm not going to fully disclose here. Saw it with my own two eyes, if you don't want to believe it then it's on you. I'm not one to post something false just for "rep" amongst railfans. Edited by Y2Julio

Guest Lance

Whether or not it will be enough cars, 64 R46s will be going to SI. And what does the R46s have to do with SAS?

The plan could be that the 46s from Pitkin would go over to Jamaica and 160s from Jamaica, presumably the ones that run on the F, would go to Coney Island for Q service. Just an idea; could be wrong. Please don't quote me on this.

R46's are still going to SI even if there not enough cars, 6170-6258 will go to Staten Island (now depending on thier condition since they are doing very bad on the (A) that might be subject to change) plus 2nd ave is opening the year the R179's would start coming in, like lance said pitkin would send Jamaica back about 48 cars to send 50 R160B's to CI for the (Q) 2nd ave will mostlikely happen, it makes sense so that the R179's would be only for the (A)/© with the 50 going to the east for (J),(M) and (Z) service

Why would they on the (A) tough? If you already have 120 taken out, that leaves 180, which is enough for the (C), and the (C) only. And why would you have a mixed fleet in one yard for only a few trains, not to mention having to upgrade the entire yard?

Lance, that's a very logical assumption. One that seems more likely than anything. But as always its a wait and see.

CDTA, there's been rumors, passed along by credible people, suggesting that Pitkin is in line to be home of the 179s. It wouldn't be much of an upgrade since basically almost every NTT has seen time at Pitkin. Also remember, when the 179s come in, the 32s go out the door. Even if they still keep some 46s, that will only have Pitkin servicing 2 fleets.

R32 3838, are those the definite numbers? And remember, those 64 cars have to go thru a refit before heading to SI. They have to be brought up to FRA Class 1A standards since SIR is a railroad. One can assume that along with the refit, an SMS will occur as well. And cars on SI don't go thru as much hell as "main line" cars even though SI cars are more exposed to the elements.

Edited by Far Rock Depot

there's been rumors, passed along by credible people, suggesting that Pitkin is in line to be home of the 179s. It wouldn't be much of an upgrade since basically almost every NTT has seen time at Pitkin.

Pitkin would need an upgrade,when NTT are testing along the Rockaways they use pitkin just to store the train there.

I agree with CDTA. Besides the R46s will be in their 40s starting in 2015. Do any of you assume that the (A) should just consist of old and new trains? A 40 year old fleet (R46s) and younger fleet (R179s). I'd rather see 207th Street Yard being able to finally maintain NTTs once the 222 R32s and 50 R42s retire from service and be replaced by the 300 R179 order.

Last time, I checked, they said they are having the 300 new R179s to retire the "C Line" cars R32s. 144 of them should go on the (C) and 48 of them should go on the (J)(Z). They are the only lines using R32s and R42s respectively. I would find it completely stupid for the ()' /> to mess that all up by changing car and yard assignments just for the sake of continuing to let the (C) still be the trash dump of the system.

And last time I checked, the R32s are too old for service and being unpopular with some, most, many or all C riders. I really don't like these kind of assumptions you guys are making now. What would be the purpose of the A getting the R179s if it will get R211s in the future like the (R) and RPS (S)? It costs more to change up yard and car assignments...I do see Pitkin Yard getting NTTs BUT not the R179s. The R46s are 37 years old now and will approach 40 years of age by 2015. What would be the purpose of the (A) using old and new rolling stock? Instead of having mixed up fleets within yards, why not make it easy and simple? Retire the 18 trainsets of R32s 144 cars on the (C) and the 6 trainsets of R42s 48 cars on the (J)(Z). The rest will be used as spares, with some more being use for the (Q) service for the Second Avenue Subway. Point blank.

Matter of fact, I won't even take any rumors you guys are hearing from other sites or people, I'd rather wait and see for myself. To me, if the MTA were to make such dumb decisions like......giving the R160s from the (Q) to the (C) in exchange for the R179s or giving the (Q)'s R160s with some R160s from the (N) to the (A) and the (C) using R46s from the (A) which results in the (Q) being 100% R179s (250 cars in service during the AM/PM Rush Hours) and the (N) being a mixed fleet of R68s and R160s, they will have serious problems making money and service. I'd rather go the easy way, retire trains on a line by the new cars you are using to replace those trains.

This is just a brief statement I have to let out, carry on.....

Edited by RollOverMyHead

if the R179's are gonna be in 10 car sets mostly then something isn't right, (meaning the (C) might not get these cars or the (C) goes full length)

I agreed with you R32 3838 and RollOverMyHead their something fishy going on, the (C) might not get them, if R179 comes 260 cars in 5 car units and 40 cars in 4 car units. they might send them to the (Q) and give the (C) R160.

Here's my two cents on this "what if". Given than a credible source reported the preliminary rumor that the bulk of the 179 order is going to Pitkin, here's what I can see happening. The 5-car sets could go to Pitkin. Given how the r42s go byebye then, I'm assuming the 4car sets go to the BMT eastern to replace the departing 42s. The 5 car sets may run on the A, and after SI gets its 64 R46s, i would use the remaining 46s on the Charlie, making that line finally permanently full length. Now this whole switch with jamaica and ci involving fleets for the Quincy and Fox seems way over the top and, IMO, justba way for railfans to see the new cars on SAS. Why? It's not needed. Why make a complicated multi yard shift when you can just KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

To be fair, I understand why CI will need those extra R160s and that's because there are no roll signs for 125th or 96th/2nd av. I don't see it as foaming. So the (Q) (if it is the (Q) ) will need the extra cars and thus taking some trains from JYd. CIY isn't going to take the displaced R46 as an oddball fleet.

I do hope the (C) goes full length as it makes sense to allow ease for the (A)(C) to borrow from each other than to just limit the (C) to 8 car trains for another 40~ years.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Matter of fact, I won't even take any rumors you guys are hearing from other sites or people, I'd rather wait and see for myself. To me, if the MTA were to make such dumb decisions like......giving the R160s from the (Q) to the (C) in exchange for the R179s or giving the (Q)'s R160s with some R160s from the (N) to the (A) and the (C) using R46s from the (A) which results in the (Q) being 100% R179s (250 cars in service during the AM/PM Rush Hours) and the (N) being a mixed fleet of R68s and R160s, they will have serious problems making money and service. I'd rather go the easy way, retire trains on a line by the new cars you are using to replace those trains.

The ()' /> makes money no matter what subway cars run,they won't have problems there.

Edited by Joe C

New trains are going to go over there eventually so that argument is moot. Besides, vandals are all over the place; they aren't localized to just the C line.