R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

On 2/12/2019 at 1:37 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I noticed that the benches on the R179s warm up. So that is definitely a nice feature especially in the winter time. Definitely handy on the (J) which is outside for most of its route.

That was the best thing about working in Bed-Stuy a few months back, leaving at 2am. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Last month, the (MTA) confirmed that 162 R179 cars have been delivered, with only 128 in revenue passenger service. Recently, the lone 10-car set was placed into (A) service as of late.

Based on these numbers, 2 8 car trains plus 13 10 car trains need to be delivered. 

I'm assuming that the rest of the 10 car r179's will be delivered once 3010-3019 concludes the passenger testing and this train has been doing much better than 3058-3065 with this test.

8 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Based on these numbers, 2 8 car trains plus 13 10 car trains need to be delivered. 

I'm assuming that the rest of the 10 car r179's will be delivered once 3010-3019 concludes the passenger testing and this train has been doing much better than 3058-3065 with this test.

anyone know where 3010-3019 is at 

Ok I think y’all gotta Put a tracking device on that set or get a grip and understand that there is going to be 13 more sets of those models running in service soon. It’s getting ridiculous every post is: where is this train at?  where is it at now ? where is it at now ? where is it at now? Does anyone know where 3010-3019 is? 

21 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Now that the MTA announced that the G won't be full length, what do you think the MTA should do with the surplus of 8 car trains??

A. Leave some 8 car r179's on the C until the r211's.

OR

B. Extend the J either to Bay Ridge or Bay Parkway during rush hour.

OR

C. Other (Please Explain)

It seems that the MTA is trying to follow the pre-Byford plan in regards to the r179's. This means that the A will most likely keep all 10 car r179's, but ENY may have to send some 8 car trains (r160's or r179's) back to the C.

There is a surplus of 8 car trains and if the G doesn't get them, the other option would be the C unless the MTA has a secret plan to extend the J to Bay Parkway/Bay Ridge, which I doubt due to the ongoing work train issues along 4th Avenue.

Let's see what happens, but I have a feeling that in the spring we'll have a better idea of what is going to happen.

30 minutes ago, VIP said:

Ok I think y’all gotta Put a tracking device on that set or get a grip and understand that there is going to be 13 more sets of those models running in service soon. It’s getting ridiculous every post is: where is this train at?  where is it at now ? where is it at now ? where is it at now? Does anyone know where 3010-3019 is? 

I know right? Like yeah the (A) finally got something brand new for a change and for the better, but they act like they ain’t gonna be alive for the next 2 or 3 decades or so, which is enough time to catch the R179s. It’s really childish and foamerish if you ask me. I personally couldn’t care less because the older cars are on their last legs before they hit rock bottom, while the current NTTs will be here for as long as we will be alive. Lol “I just saw it at this station this”, “I just saw it at this station that”. I just saw it at this station my ass lol.

Edited by Jemorie

1 minute ago, Jemorie said:

I know right? Like yeah the (A) finally got something brand new for a change and for the better, but they act like they ain’t gonna be alive for the next 2 or 3 decades or so, which is enough time to catch the R179s. It’s really childish if you ask me. I personally couldn’t care less because the older cars are on their last legs before they hit rock bottom, while the current NTTs will be here for as long as we will be alive.

I agree with both of you.  And after Sunday,  and everyone chasing it like mad is probably why they didn't make it's schedule public like they use to.  Railfans..... Well,  foamers, have gotten worse. 

40 minutes ago, Far Rock Depot said:

I agree with both of you.  And after Sunday,  and everyone chasing it like mad is probably why they didn't make it's schedule public like they use to.  Railfans..... Well,  foamers, have gotten worse. 

I guess railfans forgot about the C and J trains after last Sunday. Lol!! 

I know it can be annoying, but at least we're informed of what's happening with the passenger testing. So far so good and the sooner this testing is compleged, the sooner the rest of the cars are delivered.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

35 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It seems that the MTA is trying to follow the pre-Byford plan in regards to the r179's. This means that the A will most likely keep all 10 car r179's, but ENY may have to send some 8 car trains (r160's or r179's) back to the C.

There is a surplus of 8 car trains and if the G doesn't get them, the other option would be the C unless the MTA has a secret plan to extend the J to Bay Parkway/Bay Ridge, which I doubt due to the ongoing work train issues along 4th Avenue.

Let's see what happens, but I have a feeling that in the spring we'll have a better idea of what is going to happen.

The MTA announced that the (C) would become full-length as part of the Subway Action Plan in July 2017. Byford had nothing to do with it.

Or as Jon Weinstein put it:

"Lengthening C trains was a promise made – and kept – under the Subway Action Plan to increase capacity and improve service for our riders".

It seems like that promise may not be kept after all? 

8 minutes ago, Mysterious2train said:

The MTA announced that the (C) would become full-length as part of the Subway Action Plan in July 2017. Byford had nothing to do with it.

Or as Jon Weinstein put it:

It seems like that promise may not be kept after all? 

I guess not for now. Lengthening the G was part of the Subway plan as well. I have a feeling that the C and G will be full length with the r211's.

23 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I guess railfans forgot about the C and J trains after last Sunday. Lol!! 

I know it can be annoying, but at least we're informed of what's happening with the passenger testing. So far so good and the sooner this testing is compleged, the sooner the rest of the cars are delivered.

They all want that "HD Rare" of it on the A. Lol

1 hour ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Of all of NTT that debuted so far, I thought they made the schedule public for the R110s?

What crazy is after riding the 10 car on Sunday I haven't went looking for it since. It's nice to see both the (A) & (C) get new equipment at the same time though. As an early 90s baby The A and C always had the oldest cars since I been alive.

2 hours ago, VIP said:

Well sorry we've only waited two damn years for this.

Not to be that guy but: can anyone comment on where the R179 might be at this time?

2 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Actually, they use it to their advantage. Easier to find out where the train's gonna be by looking for gaps in service.

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

ENY is keeping all of their cars, the R42's would only be the ones moved. The R160's have to be worked on for Queens cbtc, the R143's keep having issues as well as the R179's = ENY needing a large surplus of cars. Plus everything isn't official and it's subject to change meaning the (G) can still go 8 cars.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

ENY is keeping all of their cars, the R42's would only be the ones moved. The R160's have to be worked on for Queens cbtc, the R143's keep having issues as well as the R179's = ENY needing a large surplus of cars. Plus everything isn't official and it's subject to change meaning the (G) can still go 8 cars.

I mean looking at things a bit closer it's evident that as the 10 car R179s hit service they could push the R46s elsewhere. They can still go to the (C) and have the (C) run R46s and 10 car R32s, move the 8 car R179s to ENY, and move the R160s to the (G) . Or the R46s can be kept as spares until the R211s come in. Either way, we have to see what happens when all the R179s arrive.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

31 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Why is there such a push for 10-car R32s on the (C)? I’m sure if they wanted to do that, it would have happened already.

Why not? As soon as all R179s are on property, there are more than enough cars to make at least 22 full length sets. Assuming all R42s and at least half of the R32s go, that's about 10 sets that can stay for the (C) . Might as well use them to their advantage.

Also remember that because Cuomo tampered with the (L) shutdown future assignments have to change up for now. As soon as all R179s hit service, hopefully the (C) can turn full length.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain