R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You will Still need Extra trains plus Your going to have to increase the headways on the (Q) and your going to need more trains for that

But then they'd need to be decreased again when the (T) finally exists.

(Even though I question why the (Q)'s headways would need to be significantly increased for it to run an extra 5-7 stops from Midtown)

You will Still need Extra trains plus Your going to have to increase the headways on the (Q) and your going to need more trains for that

But it's not going to be a plethora of trains that's needed. At worst, the R211s will be a bigger order than first intended.

But then they'd need to be decreased again when the (T) finally exists.

(Even though I question why the (Q)'s headways would need to be significantly increased for it to run an extra 5-7 stops from Midtown)

Its more "if" than "when" at this point.

Just put it this way The TA needs to do another SMS this time replace the A/C's on the R32's, The R46's WILL NOT GO TO SI, They already tried doing that (unless something changes) because SI wants New RailCars.

Here's my input on this:

Why Order Now 2nd ave subway will be opening in 2018 will just make the R179's a Big ass order so this way they won't be short of equipment, The R32's won't go nowhere until there is enough cars to replace them the R46's are staying here for awhile they are too good in shape to be replaced, the R211 would replace most or all of them, You guys have to remember the MTA is is a Bad situation right now The money needs to go to the stations and not towards new subway cars.

They need to do a small rehab to the R32's so this way they can make it until the new car order is here, and from a TA source they are staying put until 2014-15 so They have to stay and the R32's still look good for their age and Now I see 207th doing the best they can to keep them in running shape.

That is incorrect sir. The R46 WILL be going to SI. I have the documents right here in front of me. And as I have said a million times, funds for equipment, and funds for operating come from two separate budgets.

This is the current projected timeline.

April - Award base contract for 290 R179's

June - Award option to Kawasaki for 123 additional R188's

January 2012 - Award option for 50 additional R179's, and award contract for SIR R46 retrofit program.

That is incorrect sir. The R46 WILL be going to SI. I have the documents right here in front of me. And as I have said a million times, funds for equipment, and funds for operating come from two separate budgets.

January 2012 - Award option for 50 additional R179's, and award contract for SIR R46 retrofit program.

I'm guessing the R46s will most likely see service on the (A), (C), and SIR after the R179 delivery, is that correct?

I will just wait and see at this moment because I spoke to a TA soruce and he told me different but Seeing R46's in SI wouldn't be a problem and the SI Politics will have a bicth fit, but it would make sense to send the 46's out there.

I will just wait and see at this moment because I spoke to a TA soruce and he told me different but Seeing R46's in SI wouldn't be a problem and the SI Politics will have a bicth fit, but it would make sense to send the 46's out there.

Thats cool if you want to wait and see. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying that its been confirmed, I have the documents on it, and it's posted on the MTA website now somewhere.

Thats cool if you want to wait and see. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying that its been confirmed, I have the documents on it, and it's posted on the MTA website now somewhere.

Yeah I will search for it whenever I get the chance but they are wasting alot of money just to retrofit R46's.

Well if the R160 looks alot like the R143, then I bet the R179 will look alot like the R160. I wish in the FINDs they would put what time the train would get to a certian station (under the station name, put "time arrives: 12:00am", example).

what im wondering most is what the propulsion will sound like the most :o.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The R32s may look "good" on the outside but they're slowly dying on the inside. 46 years is long enough

When A new Car Order Come (If it Comes) The R32's will Retire (2014/15), They can't go anywhere, In Other Countries you have trains that are old as the R1/9's still running, All a Train Needs is Good mantanice and its good to go.