R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
who u think would win the contract

I still think it will probably be Kawasaki, although the earthquake/tsunami might make it somewhat less likely. Kawasaki after all will be busy with the R188, and maybe Bombardier, Alstom, or Siemens might be more able to meet NYCT's R179 delivery schedule.

That's a good question. As of right now, the TA is said to know exactly who it is. Rumor has it to be Bombardier, but I think it will be Kawasaki. Either way, it will be very interesting to say the least.

if it's Bombardier then it would be good because is busy with R188, M8 and etc and also heard a rumor from a insider that these cars may not come with Alstom Onix propulsion system instead they want to go back with dealing with Siemens

It would be interesting if Bombardier recieved the order, but the MTA didn't choose to equipt the cars with MITRAC propulsion, since that is also a Bombardier product and trademark. Hence this is why Kawasaki is most likely the winner of this bid, since they are theoretically more flexible with propulsion options. (Bombardier, Alstom, Siemens, Mitsubishi, and now even Toshiba)

Kawasaki, Alstom, Bombardier, and Rotem are the 4 potential choices. I don't believe any other groups have expressed interest, although such could have changed.

That said, as Kawasaki owns the engineering to New Tech 60 foot cars, I suspect they will get the order, as the other firms would have to spend substantial money and time on design. Time and Money that the MTA has no desire to spend.

Kawasaki, Alstom, Bombardier, and Rotem are the 4 potential choices. I don't believe any other groups have expressed interest, although such could have changed.

That said, as Kawasaki owns the engineering to New Tech 60 foot cars, I suspect they will get the order, as the other firms would have to spend substantial money and time on design. Time and Money that the MTA has no desire to spend.

Thats true that Kawasaki owns the enginerring to New Tech 60 foot cars if its true Bombardier did got the contract then kawasaki would still have somthing to with order like give Bombardier permission to used their design like Alstom did with R160A's;)

You forgot Siemens. I'm 100% sure Siemens is a potential choice too (and they have expressed interest I'm 100% sure).

I still think it will probably be Kawasaki, although the earthquake/tsunami might make it somewhat less likely. Kawasaki after all will be busy with the R188, and maybe Bombardier, Alstom, or Siemens might be more able to meet NYCT's R179 delivery schedule.

if it's Bombardier then it would be good because is busy with R188, M8 and etc and also heard a rumor from a insider that these cars may not come with Alstom Onix propulsion system instead they want to go back with dealing with Siemens

I wouldn't be surprised if it was another builder. As you said, they have the R188 conversion contract, plus the M8 contract. They also have a contract to build 428 new cars for WMATA and possibly a mid-life rehabilitation contract for WMATA's 100 4000 series cars (which are expected to be fully compatible with the 7000 series).

Hyundai-Rotem would never win a (MTA) contract.They screwed up SEPTA's Silverliner V new cars and The (MTA) would chew and spit out Rotem by the time they are done.(NYCTA) Help close down Budd,Pullman-Standard and the St.Louis Car Company ;)

I think the R179's would just have Siemens build the propulsion systems like on the R160's. Bombardier would most likely just build the cars themselves.

Maybe. But don't forget Siemens builds trains and subway cars too. So it's possible they choose Siemens for the entire train and not only the propulsion system. That would be the cheapest option for the (MTA). But we'll see.

I was wondering, I just made a post about SIR not getting R179s on subchat, and they don't believe it. I even posted a link to the 2010-2014 capital plan, and they are saying it is just a rumor. Is there any particular reason why?

How many rumors do you know are posted in black and white official documents? Imagine the responses I got when I posted the information before the TA did! Don't even worry about it. Welcome to my world!:P

As of right now, the R179 base order for 290 cars is still behind schedule, and is now expected by August of 2011. The optional order for 50 additional cars is expected to remain on schedule, and is currently set to be awarded by February 2012.

(MTA)

As of right now, the R179 base order for 290 cars is still behind schedule, and is now expected by August of 2011. The optional order for 50 additional cars is expected to remain on schedule, and is currently set to be awarded by February 2012.

I Think The MTA is trying to decide to order the cars now (in 2011) or wait until next year so this way they can come in when SAS opens,