R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why the constant delays?

Your guess is as good as mine.

I Think The MTA is trying to decide to order the cars now (in 2011) or wait until next year so this way they can come in when SAS opens,

I think they should order more since the 46's may go very soon also.Maybe they'll order enough to replace the 46,32 and 42 fleet since some 46's are going to SI.

Well, you have a possible total of 420 new cars. 290 base, 50 option 1, and 80 option 2. If all orders are exercised, you have between 85-105 new train sets in all. It all depends on how the cars are arranged within each set.

It is a very real possibility that part of this order could go to SAS. There are more than enough cars to replace the R32's and whatever else they will replace.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Well, you have a possible total of 420 new cars. 290 base, 50 option 1, and 80 option 2. If all orders are exercised, you have between 85-105 new train sets in all. It all depends on how the cars are arranged within each set.

It is a very real possibility that part of this order could go to SAS. There are more than enough cars to replace the R32's and whatever else they will replace.

True I didn't realize that I forgot there is/are 230 or 240 32's left more then enough to replace them + the 50 cars Opt 1 which is kind of obvious it will be to replace the 50 42's and 80 cars for a possible option 2? Sounds like they're going to replace some 46's.

Idk but I think it'd be better to send the 290+ the option 2 to Concourse bumping the 68's to the (A)(C) b\c they're not ordering exactly to replace the amount of the 32's and 42's unless the (C) becomes 10 car 60 footers.Something is fishy about that though.:)

The 68's are slowly moving the (G) at this point, so there's no need to bump them again in the next couple of years.

And of course they're not entirely replacing the 32 fleet. The R32's are still in a really good shape and they also have to keep some 32's in spare, 'cause you never know when you need a spare.

Guest lance25

Actually, the new cars are replacing the entirety of the R32s, plus the R42s. Regardless of how they appear, 50 years is a long time for a train.

The 68's are slowly moving the (G) at this point, so there's no need to bump them again in the next couple of years.

And of course they're not entirely replacing the 32 fleet. The R32's are still in a really good shape and they also have to keep some 32's in spare, 'cause you never know when you need a spare.

The (G) won't need many anyway b\c they're based from Coney.They can stay on the (G) but I was saying they're ordering more cars than the 32's and 42's combined IF they go with the option order.

I was just making a point but the

Main Order 290 cars for Concourse (D)

Option Order for 50 cars is it not obvious it's for the 42 replacement ENY.

Option Order 2 80 cars (D)

bump 68's to to 207th (C) service possibly (A) since they'll be the next to retire since the 46's are going to SI.Sure they'll be some left in the subway.(Thats my take on what they should do).

So they really insist on pushing this. (Wonder why the other thread was closed).

On cars retrofitted with enablers, the T/O in OPTO service has to enable himself (on NTT's, it's built in so they are deactivated when the T/O controls are activated).

Now, you're making them have to use brake handles (though I preferred that to the R46 controller, but for OPTO, where you have to keep getting up and moving to the window, you could knock it into emergency).

And of course, being in OPTO, it would be nice to have the automated announcements. The door controls in the NTT's are more conveniently located.

In peak periods, there is a problem is people crowding into fewer doors, so it seemed like having the five 60 ft cars would be better.

So I don't know why they are so avoiding putting the 160's on the line. If they move it to CIYD, they should just put those 60 8600's (A2's), which were originally ordered for the line in the first place (and have to stay separate in the CI fleet anyway).

• 3 weeks later...
I'm hearing the order will go to Kawasaki! Negotiations were suspended, but have now resumed. The award is supposed to be coming in short order. I will try to find out more details, and confirm this weekend!

Stay tuned!B)

again?:eek: they are on a Roll hope they Bring Back the Propulsion the R110B had.:tup:

Bleh, I hoped they were going to Bombardier, but had a feeling that Kawasaki would've been the ultimate choice. Ahh well. This will be interesting.

If it's true, I'm sure it was because it's only 340 cars. They are doing the 188's right now. MTA has been doing a lot of wheeling and dealing lately. It's probably more cost effective to have them doing both simultaneously.

This also makes me wonder who will be awarded the contract for R46 retrofit.

I could see this one going to Kawasaki, and the R46, and R211 going to Bombardier. But that's only my opinion.

I'm hearing the order will go to Kawasaki! Negotiations were suspended, but have now resumed. The award is supposed to be coming in short order. I will try to find out more details, and confirm this weekend!

Stay tuned!:)

It would be nice to have a different manufacturer.Kawasaki is the new St.Louis Car.

The R142 and R160 with the Alstom Onyx are the only interesting propulsion to my ears. I'm a musician and love hearing these trains with their musical tones. All of the others are typical wind-up propulsion sounds and I find them uninteresting. I also find these trains quieter than Siemens trains.

Yeah

R142 Alstom Onyx

R142A and 143 - Bombardier/Ad Tranz

R160 Alstom Onyx(but these repeat notes which is very annoying)

R160B-1(8843-9102) Siemens.