R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i doubt that i overheard Alstom bought bombardier idk for the purpose of it but i hope is financial reasons:confused:

No, they didn't buy them. Bombardier is actually the world's largest rail equipment manufacturer, and the world's third largest civil aircraft manufacturer.

They don't have any major financial issues at all, and recorded a net income of about $200 Million more than Alstom did this past year.

The R142 and R160 with the Alstom Onyx are the only interesting propulsion to my ears. I'm a musician and love hearing these trains with their musical tones. All of the others are typical wind-up propulsion sounds and I find them uninteresting. I also find these trains quieter than Siemens trains.

i agree with u on that one, i love hearing that two-toned sort of braking

The proper term though is AdTranz IIRC. Or if you wanna get technical, 408 Volt 3 phase AC traction motors

So even though Bombardier bought out Adtranz 10 years ago, they still use the name on that type of propulsion system? I would have guessed that Bombardier would have replaced the Adtranz name with its own a long time ago.

Man, I hope these cars have that style of FIND the PA5's have, that shows commercials, five day weather forecasts, the temperature, etc + R160 FIND would be awesome, shouldn't be that hard to do, just add a second screen to the FIND and a few cosmetic changes and it would look hot! :D:cool:

Can't wait for these trains to come, esp if they put some of them on the (A) line.

If it's true, I'm sure it was because it's only 340 cars. They are doing the 188's right now. MTA has been doing a lot of wheeling and dealing lately. It's probably more cost effective to have them doing both simultaneously.

This also makes me wonder who will be awarded the contract for R46 retrofit.

I could see this one going to Kawasaki, and the R46, and R211 going to Bombardier. But that's only my opinion.

For the R46, it might be Alstom. They are the ones who made the cab-signaling system installed in the R44s currently.

I can't believe you guys like Alstom Onyx that s**T is annyoing as heck but at least with the Bombs its a coverup b\c their loud a$$ HVACS.

Maybe to you. I dont really give two sh*ts about the sound, as long as they can get me from Point A to Point B, its all good with me.

• 1 month later...
Guest lance25

That would make the most sense, replacing all three classes with one new fleet, that is, not only because of the continuous delays, but also the fact that the R46s are also nearing the end of their nominal lifespan. I'm pretty sure it would cost less to buy around a thousand cars at one price with one order than it would with two different contracts, especially considering that the costs of these new cars keeps going up as time goes on. But that's just me.

That would make the most sense, replacing all three classes with one new fleet, that is, not only because of the continuous delays, but also the fact that the R46s are also nearing the end of their nominal lifespan. I'm pretty sure it would cost less to buy around a thousand cars at one price with one order than it would with two different contracts, especially considering that the costs of these new cars keeps going up as time goes on. But that's just me.

It's a matter of how long the R179 gets delayed. There's a belief that it's cheaper and easier to knock an old house down and rebuild from scratch; perhaps it also works when considering rolling stock (like you said, it might be cheaper overall to have a huge merged R179/211 order than to retrofit the R46s with newer technology). I'd like to see the R179s soon, but the MTA might simply not be able to produce it as early as many of us would like. Just anything to get rid of those God-forsaken R32s; those things have nothing to hold onto when it's crowded, and considering how poor CPW service is, even during rush hour, it would be a welcome reprieve.

LETS JUST WAIT, GEEZ, We Got over 1,700 R160's, what lance said, I think might happen, and it would make the most sense, plus Kawasaki is in hot water right now with the MTA, so things are going to take very long, rerember the R188's gotta come first, plus the problems with the M8's are making the MTA want to turn the other way, things aren't looking good, but i don't care, its better to make it 1 huge order anyway

Damn what happen to Kawasaki? I mean the R160s did alright and now they are screwing up on the M8s? Shoot oh well.

Just award the contract to Bombardier and get it over with! Enough with this silly game of favoritism towards Kawasaki!:mad::mad::mad: