R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Can someone explain what's going on with the ad's inside the car? Wouldn't the ad contract expire while the train was testing?

I've seen so many outdated advertisements on the trains and in the stations, I doubt it really matters. As for the addition of the ads in the first place, perhaps Transit believes it will be a relatively quick burn-in testing process before the cars enter service for their 30-day test periods. Whether that actually happens remains to be seen.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen so many outdated advertisements on the trains and in the stations, I doubt it really matters. As for the addition of the ads in the first place, perhaps Transit believes it will be a relatively quick burn-in testing process before the cars enter service for their 30-day test periods. Whether that actually happens remains to be seen.

I guess you're right. I'd just think that the advertiser wouldn't like it if they paid all this money and found out no passengers actually saw the ad.

New video of the interior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB5FX-94f9Y

Courtesy: Trainkid kris

So somebody please tell me what business Jvoan Samuel (The person who took this video, i.e. Trainkid kris), a transit electrician's helper, had inside the R179 at 207th St yard?

Can somebody also tell me what business Jvoan Samuel has UPLOADING a video of a restricted facility to a public forum?

Also, why was he in the car before it has been inspected by the MTA for acceptance??

So somebody please tell me what business Jvoan Samuel (The person who took this video, i.e. Trainkid kris), a transit electrician's helper, had inside the R179 at 207th St yard?

Can somebody also tell me what business Jvoan Samuel has UPLOADING a video of a restricted facility to a public forum?

Also, why was he in the car before it has been inspected by the MTA for acceptance??

Woah. Slow down, We don't need any useless drama in here.

From what many transit employees have been saying on Facebook, the car is open to anyone who works in 207 to take a look over.

Also he did not post the video to here, Lance linked to it.

Also why do you care?

Videos and pictures of yards are perfectly allowed. Why would there be tours to yards if they were so afraid of something bad happening. The people on these tours are screened, and the people who work in Transit certainly are.

Is it clear whether the cars are on the way to Pitkin yet?

I guess you're right. I'd just think that the advertiser wouldn't like it if they paid all this money and found out no passengers actually saw the ad.

Most of the ads in 3014 are outdated and were displayed at the beginning of this year. Just another reminder of how ridiculously delayed these cars are.

I'm shocked the TA didn't put a padlock key on the storm door so people couldn't go inside.

In that video I noticed they now have ad space on the wall that separates the cab from the area the passengers ride. On the 160s that area is just bare metal.

Yeah, they should have locked the storm doors and/or cab doors so people couldn't go in. As for the ad space on the front cab wall, I think the case should have been tall enough to fit the subway map, that way people don't have to lean over other passengers sitting down to be able to read it.

The cars are planned to go on the services that currently have R32s and R42s, namely the AC,[26][27] and J/Z trains;[27] they may also be used on the M route.[27] In particular, it is expected that the A and C routes would get the bulk of the R179s, with the 5-car sets making up a small part of the A route's fleet, and some of the 4-car sets comprising the C route's entire fleet.[26]

Union I think you may need to reword this.

And here's something I've noticed, during the 2019 (L) shutdown, the R179's may actually run on the (M) as well as the R143's in order to increase service.

Union I think you may need to reword this.

And here's something I've noticed, during the 2019 (L) shutdown, the R179's may actually run on the (M) as well as the R143's in order to increase service.

They will run where they are assigned to(yard) or needed(supplement service). Of course they're supposed to replace the R-32's and 42's but that doesn't mean they'll be placed where the 32's and 42's roam now. Since the 179's are CBTC compatible I would think why not have Jamaica take in most or all of the 179's(5 car sets) for the QBL lines (E)(F)(R) and bump the 160's elswehere for the (Q) and the (A)(C). I'm not proposing just thinking of the "future" advancements because they won't hit service until next year as well be in full production(meaning cars coming in on a daily). The QBL and Culver is the trackage still being updated to be ready for CBTC?

Woah. Slow down, We don't need any useless drama in here.

From what many transit employees have been saying on Facebook, the car is open to anyone who works in 207 to take a look over.

Also he did not post the video to here, Lance linked to it.

Also why do you care?

1: He doesnt work at 207

2: The problem is that he uploaded it to youtube, in public

3: Because it's going to lead to a massive crackdown on crews again over electronic devices and disclosing stuff to the public

Videos and pictures of yards are perfectly allowed. Why would there be tours to yards if they were so afraid of something bad happening. The people on these tours are screened, and the people who work in Transit certainly are.

Is it clear whether the cars are on the way to Pitkin yet?

Vids/pics are allowed to be uploaded when given permission. He didn't have permission to post a video of the R179 in a non-public area. People who go on tours are given explicit permission that otherwise is not given to share these photos with the public

Thats like saying its ok for a random TA employee to take photos and videos of non-public areas. Spoiler alert, it isnt.

Edited by RFWLover

1: He doesnt work at 207

2: The problem is that he uploaded it to youtube, in public

3: Because it's going to lead to a massive crackdown on crews again over electronic devices and disclosing stuff to the public

Vids/pics are allowed to be uploaded when given permission. He didn't have permission to post a video of the R179 in a non-public area. People who go on tours are given explicit permission that otherwise is not given to share these photos with the public

Thats like saying its ok for a random TA employee to take photos and videos of non-public areas. Spoiler alert, it isnt.

First off, he does work for the MTA, as you can see in his Facebook pictures. Besides, if he didn't work for them, how could he have even gotten in? I doubt someone would give him private access to go into the train for being a railfan.

Second, it's perfectly fine to take pictures in a yard or a depot if you work for the MTA. Several people on this site who work for the MTA have done so.

No point in sending 179s to Jamaica when they can just use the 160s for CBTC. They've already been testing some 160 sets with CBTC for QBL so might as well just keep them at Jamaica. 

That's my point the 179's are CBTC compatiable, the 160's are not(at least not the 5 car sets) that I am aware of. QBL/Culver are getting CBTC retrofitted IIRC, so why not send all the 179's (5 car sets) to Jamaica bumping the 160's to CIY or Pitkin for service for the (A)(Q) extension. 

Second, it's perfectly fine to take pictures in a yard or a depot if you work for the MTA. Several people on this site who work for the MTA have done so.

207 yard specifically has a ZERO TOLERANCE policy for electronic device usage within the yard except in designated break areas. Also, why do you think I haven't posted any photos of the towers I work in? I actually care about keeping my job.

207 yard specifically has a ZERO TOLERANCE policy for electronic device usage within the yard except in designated break areas. Also, why do you think I haven't posted any photos of the towers I work in? I actually care about keeping my job.

I am not saying that you should take pictures, but what is their reasoning for not allowing pictures? They don't want people to be distracted on the job? They think that people will get the track layouts, oh wait there is already a book on it.

I am not saying that you should take pictures, but what is their reasoning for not allowing pictures? They don't want people to be distracted on the job? They think that people will get the track layouts, oh wait there is already a book on it.

The reasoning shouldn't have to be said. It's a rule as he is stating. It doesn't matter if the reasoning is for distraction, or what. When you actually have a job if you have one there will be rules where you aren't allowed to do certain tasks. Every job is different. Every job has different guidelines for rules. The job I hold down as an office assistant at college doesn't allow us to have our phones out that is visual to our customers but we are ALLOWED to have them placed where customers can't see such as under a folder etc.