R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

I am not saying that you should take pictures, but what is their reasoning for not allowing pictures? They don't want people to be distracted on the job? They think that people will get the track layouts, oh wait there is already a book on it.

Ita not about pictures per se. Its about safety. Eyes on your phone takes eyes off of your surroundings and others around you. Especially in a yard where youre constantly crossing active tracks. Track layouts? Really?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hold on, that video was taken before 3013-3010 arrived, so how and why in the world is he the only one in that car by himself when he's under the age of 18?

I think it was said that the one who posted the vid on youtube isnt the one who filmed it.

Jeez. It turned into drama anyway <_<

How do you know he is under 18?

Cause I know the guy. He's 17. He's a technician for MTA, but that still doesn't explain why he's by himself in a new subway car, especially if it's 3014 and the rest of the cars haven't arrived yet.

To put it bluntly, it's not kosher for the guy to take out his phone and take video in the middle of 207 yard, and then post it on YouTube. Multiple things wrong with that which are against MTA policy.

It doesn't matter that the foamers here disagree with the zero tolerance policy for electronic devices. The fact is that it exists, and just because you don't like it doesn't mean that people shouldn't adhere to it. Get a grip. Welcome to reality.

The only people who work for the TA with "permission" to take videos in areas like that and post them online for the public to see work for public relations. I very seriously doubt that Jvoan Samuel, a transit electricians helper, did that.

That's my point the 179's are CBTC compatiable, the 160's are not(at least not the 5 car sets) that I am aware of. QBL/Culver are getting CBTC retrofitted IIRC, so why not send all the 179's (5 car sets) to Jamaica bumping the 160's to CIY or Pitkin for service for the (A)(Q) extension. 

All NTTs past the 143 have come CBTC ready. But no cars are delivered with CBTC equipment installed and made to be used right away. It needs to be installed first, and then programmed and extensively tested. My point is that the R179s don't have CBTC equipment installed to be used anyway, so it's pointless to shift all the cars around to Jamaica and send the 160s elsewhere if they can be used for CBTC operation themselves. IIRC, there is a 160 set at Jamaica with CBTC being tested, or at least installed. The 179s will run on the (A)(C)(J) and (Z) and the Jamaica 160s will stay at Jamaica. Better to keep fleet moves to a minimal and keep things simple. 

Never mind, he is asked directly in the comments to do the walk through slower and says "it was hot in their i wanted to get out "

Interesting nuggets he drops in the comments section too:

-The propulsion is the same as the Toronto Rocket

-The trains will be tested late October- early November

-The train is expected to enter service in December

Can we confirm it was actually him who shot the video? Some people are saying it was someone else's video that he posted.

it was Jvoan Samuel. That is his video. He went to 207 yard, a place he has no business in being at, and violated the zero tolerance policy.

I don't understand why people here think that breaking the rules is ok as long as it is "foamworthy".. Smfh

it was Jvoan Samuel. That is his video. He went to 207 yard, a place he has no business in being at, and violated the zero tolerance policy.

I don't understand why people here think that breaking the rules is ok as long as it is "foamworthy".. Smfh

lol didn't we just go though a similar act of violation in another thread?

Smh these people need to learn patience......

I agree with you 100% on this. He could've messed with god knows what in there. 

And Around The Horn, the propulsion system sounds somewhat similar to the the ones found on the M7's, but instead of doing that whirring start up noise in the beginning, it stays like that and gets a higher pitch as the train increases MPH.

You expect the security guard at 207th Yard to be checking everyone's ID like its a night club?

Well I mean sure, it's a third rail area and an active train crossing.

You can see his reflection in the video and can see he has the TA Vest on, guards probably thought he was an adult. Seems like it would be miserable experience for the guards to question every TA employee that goes into the yard. Just would be an awkward situation all around.

I should have put in my OP every TA's employee's ID.

My point is that the R179s don't have CBTC equipment installed to be used anyway, so it's pointless to shift all the cars around to Jamaica and send the 160s elsewhere if they can be used for CBTC operation themselves. IIRC, there is a 160 set at Jamaica with CBTC being tested, or at least installed. The 179s will run on the (A)(C)(J) and (Z) and the Jamaica 160s will stay at Jamaica. Better to keep fleet moves to a minimal and keep things simple. 

It won't be pointless because the way things are now is yards have specific equipment instead of a variety of equipment. There is a small portion of 5 car sets of 179's coming in. I don't forsee Pitkin taking them in when the (A) can be exclusively R-46's. Meaning the 5 car sets of 179's go to Jamaica and the even trade of Jamaica's 46's goto Pitkin. There are still 46's that run on the (F). It's obvious that the 179's will run on the (C)(J)/(Z) but who knows as I stated earlier the way things are today the 179's may all go to the Jamaica lines and the (C) be exclusively 160 or vice versa the 179's all go to 207th and the Jamaica lines (J)(Z) are 100% 160. But with the MTA now in days who knows.

...It's obvious that the 179's will run on the (C)(J)/(Z) but who knows as I stated earlier the way things are today the 179's may all go to the Jamaica lines and the (C) be exclusively 160 or vice versa the 179's all go to 207th and the Jamaica lines (J)(Z) are 100% 160. But with the MTA now in days who knows.

I'm hearing both of those as well, but more are leaning to the (C) getting the 160s along with the 179s mainly for the (L), the (J) getting the 143s, and the 32/42s going somewhere else.

Either way, someone getting new trains.

I doubt the (L) would get em since they have to install the cbtc equipment in them. But in the future i can see a set or two running on the (L)

As for the R32's they're rumored to go on the (B) .

But I can see them going to the (A) along with the R42's .

The reason for the 32s on the B is mileage.

Edited by Far Rock Depot

There's no one set plan for exactly how things will go.

NTTs tend to have better running times over the Williamsburgh bridge, so take that in to consideration. Also remember that a significant portion of R179s will likely go to the C.

Just throwing some thoughts out there to play around with when creating rolling stock assignment hypotheticals.. :)

There are a few scenerios that may play out depending on how many R179s are in service when the Canarsie Tube shuts down.

However, none involve R179s going to Jamaica.

As for the earlier posts from today regarding that video, all I can say is that this is definetly a case of ego ("I was the first person in the R179, look at me!!") getting in the way of one's career, just as its getting started. Not a good idea.

For those who would like to work for the MTA in the future, take this as a lesson in what not to do once you start working..

Edited by Dj Hammers

207 yard specifically has a ZERO TOLERANCE policy for electronic device usage within the yard except in designated break areas. Also, why do you think I haven't posted any photos of the towers I work in? I actually care about keeping my job.

Because the big boss said so...

MTA is zero tolerance on cell phones, period. I can't be in the seat of my bus with my phone, you can't be on your phone in 207th. It's simple as that.

Ita not about pictures per se. Its about safety. Eyes on your phone takes eyes off of your surroundings and others around you. Especially in a yard where youre constantly crossing active tracks. Track layouts? Really?

You guys are all right. I didn't realize how serious it was, and I understand the policy. That guy should have waited. If the negative-vote existed, you should have all done it to my post. I feel stupid.